Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened out of the blue. I went to put gas in my TR but the gas nozzle kept clinking off. At first I thought it was the gas station pump, but I have been to 5 different gas stations and each time I can only pump about .5 onces before the nozzles clicks off. I have tried every trick in the book with nozzle postion and flow speed but nothing works. The tank probably isn't venting (EVAP unit) correctly which is causing to much back pressure which is causing the gas nozzle to shut off, but that is just a guess. It takes for ever to put in just a couple gallons. I called the dealer, but they can't see me for a couple of weeks because they are backed up with recalls(guessing airbags). I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are there no other dealers in your area? You don't have to stick with the one you bought it from. Also, in past posts, others spoke of a funnel device that should be included with every vehicle; meant to aid refueling? Follow instructions for it and give it a try?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Maybe the nozzle isn't pushed in far enough. There are two metal flaps that must be pushed aside (by the nozzle). If the inner one isn't pushed over far enough, that might cause the problem you had.

I suppose it's possible that one of the flaps or its hinge is bent or broken.

The funnel is used to hold open the flaps so you can put in gas from a portable can. I wouldn't try to use a gas station nozzle with the funnel.

Reactions: Lackadazikal

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would have to say, check that the nozzle is in all the way. Don't put it in and leave it on auto pump. Try holding it and pushing it in as much as you can. Sometimes it is the pump nozzle being shorter at some gas stations.

The funnel is for the use of gas cans. It sucks if people are having to use the funnel for regular gas stations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem with my Patriot. I could never leave the gas pump in auto fill--if I did, the gas would continue pumping after the tank was full and spill all over the ground. But I've also heard people describe the same thing you're experiencing with certain Ford vehicles.

I know this is way too simplistic a way of looking at it, but... why is it that automakers are suddenly struggling with what basically amounts to a tin can and a shutoff valve? I honestly don't remember this being a problem with vehicles made in less technologically advanced decades (for me, that would be the 90s).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Shut off issue on 2017 Jeep Renegade

HELP PLEASE!!!! this is NUTS, can't put in an ounce of gas without the pump shutting off, it is a brand new 2017 Jeep Renegade! I have gas all over me from head to toe, gas all over the ground and it only has a gallon of gas in it!!!! Using a funnel seems ridiculous or very counterproductive to buying a brand new Vehicle/Jeep! Did not have this issue for the first 2,000 miles, now it is a HORRIBLE. I drive a lot and this cannot be acceptable! The Jeep has 3,500 miles today, best trade in for a horse!

·
Read Only
30 Posts
I have this issue once in a while - it seems for me that the nozzle is TOO FAR into the gas tank. Seriously, pull it out just a bit, should flow smoothly.

Or maybe yours is actually messed up.... Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
December 2019. I just bought a 2017 Renegade and had this problem the first time filling up. Very slow and so annoying! Pump kept shutting off. Not liking all this technology crap I have to google for simple tasks. I’m going to hate filling this Jeep up if I don’t find out how to solve this problem! Does the nozzle have to be pushed in as far as it can go? Or not? Does the angle matter? I tried lifting the hose up. So frustrating! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

Pushing the nozzle in all the way is the correct way to fill our Renegades.

There are a couple of possible reasons for a slow fill (because if you are filling and the nozzle keeps shutting off).

Plugged or restricted fuel tank vent, not usually an issue with our cap-less style filler.

Anti-roll over valve stuck. There is a ball or a flapper valve in the filler tube, inside of the fuel tank that keeps the fuel inside the fuel tank in the event of a roll over.
If that valve get stuck or doesn't open completely to allow for fuel fill, the fuel will back up inside of the filler tube and shut off the fuel nozzle while you are try to put gas.

The vent tube should be inspected for a kink or obstruction, probably by a technician (auto mechanic) for repair.
The anti roll over valve usually requires that filler tube to be replaced.

I would check with a dealership for known issues with filling. There were a few of these cases reported a while back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just began having the issue with the pump clicking off on our 2018 Renegade that we purchased 6 months ago for my daughter. Super annoying to be plagued with design flaw issues. With the pump constantly clicking off, not only does fueling up take forever, but she has no way of knowing when it actually is full. Just took it to the dealer earlier this week for a 20000 mile service and now it looks like it needs to go back again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.