Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the 9-speed automatic Trailhawk. I was heading up the hill to my house in the snow in the 4wd snow mode, doing fine. I had to stop to give another car that was sliding some room. I tried to start again and started sliding badly. It really felt as if I had no 4wd at all. Pulled over, stopped, put it in park to collect my thoughts.

When I tried to move again, I noticed that I could not switch into "snow" mode again, I turn the dial and the snow light flashes briefly then goes back to auto. The following service messages appear "dynamic steering torque service required", "service hill start assist", and "service esc system". I tried to switch to 4WD Low, and couldn't, not in drive, reverse, or neutral (I wasn't moving). I tried rolling back and forth a few inches, stopping and hit the button again, still no luck. I did manage to finally get home, but it was not fun.

I understand from reading the manual that the warning lights may clear after a few stops and starts and some driving. I'm very worried that I can't change 4wd modes and can't switch to 4wd low. The 4wd service message is NOT on. I guess I'll have to drive it (when the snow melts) and see if the lights clear, but in the meantime, anyone else have similar problems?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this happens again, I would definitely suggest bringing your Renegade to a dealership. I'd be happy to help you schedule an appointment if you reach out to me on here.
The warnings went off after I drove a short distance on dry pavement the next day. So, we'll see. I'm really disappointed. The only reason I have a Jeep is I occasionally need 4wd in the snow to get up the steep roads to my house. Now, I can't count on that working.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
I've got the 9-speed automatic Trailhawk. I was heading up the hill to my house in the snow in the 4wd snow mode, doing fine. I had to stop to give another car that was sliding some room. I tried to start again and started sliding badly. It really felt as if I had no 4wd at all. Pulled over, stopped, put it in park to collect my thoughts.

When I tried to move again, I noticed that I could not switch into "snow" mode again, I turn the dial and the snow light flashes briefly then goes back to auto. The following service messages appear "dynamic steering torque service required", "service hill start assist", and "service esc system". I tried to switch to 4WD Low, and couldn't, not in drive, reverse, or neutral (I wasn't moving). I tried rolling back and forth a few inches, stopping and hit the button again, still no luck. I did manage to finally get home, but it was not fun.

I understand from reading the manual that the warning lights may clear after a few stops and starts and some driving. I'm very worried that I can't change 4wd modes and can't switch to 4wd low. The 4wd service message is NOT on. I guess I'll have to drive it (when the snow melts) and see if the lights clear, but in the meantime, anyone else have similar problems?
Interesting. I had the "dynamic steering torque service required" and "service hill start assist" warnings come on once the first time I turned off a dry road onto a slushy road, but haven't seen those warnings since. I don't switch the 4WD settings at all, though. I let it choose what's best for conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a 2016 Renegade North 4X4 Demo from the Dealership, 147 kms on it. Drove it home, we live in snowy area hence need the 4wd,
* now NO 4wd as WILL NOT shift to "snow" at all, NADA, ZILCH, DONUT, just stays with the auto light on
and,
shows these 3 errors:
* DYNAMIC STEERING TORQUE SERVICE REQUIRED,
* SERVICE ESC SYSTEM,
* SERVICE HILL START ASSIST

What the heck gives here ? are these vehicles LEMONS ?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Driving in Death Valley the other day in Auto. Came to a sandy area and tried to switch to Sand. The lights flashed and returned to Auto. I had a couple of alarms on my dashboard regarding 4WD. I didn't proceed because I didn't know if I were even in 4WD or not. After getting back on pavement it cleared up. No trouble after that but I drove with one eye on the dashboard looking for alarms. Bringing the Renegade to the dealer soon. An electrical and/or sensor problem?

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Just a thought before I open the manual beside me. (page 110 + 111)

I engage the 4WD by pressing the rotator switch. This engages the AUTO mode but I prefer to be selective and manually turn the knob for snow, sand, mud.

My thoughts are that if I leave it in AUTO mode then the Jeep will respond to any change in terrain traction loss automatically.

If that is the case then why not use AUTO in the first instance if it engages though other modes remain inopperative?

In an emergency I know that AUTO would be tried in the hope it gets me out of a sticky situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me twice. I drove down a somewhat steep loose rock road for a mile or so
then as I was heading back up in 4 wheel drive (auto) all the same warning lights came on and there I was stuck
with a two wheel drive and a heck of a climb back out. I gave the Jeep hell and got back up to the highway where the display
went back to normal and I had 4 wheel drive again. Second time was again on a loose rocky road but mostly level grade
when the display stated "dynamic steering torque service required", "service hill start assist", and "service esc system".
This time I waited for awhile till my 4 wheel drive came back ( I had to cross a gulch and no way could I do it without the 4 wheel drive).
Now when I drive any off road in any 4 wheel drive mode I switch the ESC to off.
My thinking is that the onboard ESC computer gets overwhelmed when dealing with rough conditions.
Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
4x4 availability has gone OFF for me twice, both times I had an error code of some type, both times I had (lucky) a OBD scan tool with me and erased all codes, immediately was able to engage the drive options. My opinion, this is a failure on Jeep's part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.