Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have read my post of my wife's car accident. My question is about police reports......how long does it normally take to receive a police report from a car accident?

Accident occurred on March 2nd, and there is no police report.

I've called Police department, left a message with the officer, but still nothing.....this is ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Data Protection Act or similar Law depending on the country of origin springs to mind.

Where's Flloyd when we need him? (an older US forum member, ex-cop)

In the UK as an example any report will only be handed over when using the appropriate LEGAL channel ie via a Solicitor/Lawyer, Insurance company etc. Very rarely will such a report be issued directly to you and I even though we were involved.

Over here we can make a cash payment and raise a Freedom of Information request. This often results in a full or partially redacted document that is likely to supply you with what you already know ie Name, Age, etc and items like your own registration number, location of incident etc will all be blanked out.

Any thime I was approached by people seeking an incident report that I had created or for that matter any other Officer (I am not Police) they were directed to our Legal Section to deal with.

@Ron. I truly understand your frustration and that you are distressed whilst feeling that you are being ignored by the department that you are trying to contact. In the UK I have seen incidents, particularly car crashes take up to 3 years before they are resolved eith in Court or settled just before the Judge appears. Whilst I know that none of the above will make you feel any better may I ask a question?

How is your Wife doing now since the accident. I hope all is well.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'd venture a guess and say it all depends on the department. Where I live, everything is computerized. The police no longer hand you a ticket pad to sign for your ticket. You sign what resembles a UPS package scanner. The issuing officer has a thermal printer on his duty belt and the ticket it printed right then and there. It is uploaded immediately to their database. Reports are written in their patrol car on a laptop and when the officer hits "enter", it's in the database.

If your department still relies on pen and paper, the written report has to be scanned into the system. That depends on personnel and time. You should, however, have a case number. Call daily and ask, that's all you can really do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got a "case" number or something to that effect before the officer even left the scene. If you have that, you should be able to provide it to your insurance company and they can handle it from there.

·
Super Moderator
3,450 Posts
At least where I live you will never receive a crash report without making a request for the crash report.

As for when it will be available, the answer to that is "when it is done" , which is usually variable, but 2-4 weeks is typical.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Data Protection Act or similar Law depending on the country of origin springs to mind.

Where's Flloyd when we need him? (an older US forum member, ex-cop)

In the UK as an example any report will only be handed over when using the appropriate LEGAL channel ie via a Solicitor/Lawyer, Insurance company etc. Very rarely will such a report be issued directly to you and I even though we were involved.

Over here we can make a cash payment and raise a Freedom of Information request. This often results in a full or partially redacted document that is likely to supply you with what you already know ie Name, Age, etc and items like your own registration number, location of incident etc will all be blanked out.

Any thime I was approached by people seeking an incident report that I had created or for that matter any other Officer (I am not Police) they were directed to our Legal Section to deal with.

@Ron. I truly understand your frustration and that you are distressed whilst feeling that you are being ignored by the department that you are trying to contact. In the UK I have seen incidents, particularly car crashes take up to 3 years before they are resolved eith in Court or settled just before the Judge appears. Whilst I know that none of the above will make you feel any better may I ask a question?

How is your Wife doing now since the accident. I hope all is well.
Thanks for your feedback on this. My insurance is on top of this. I'm just trying help push to get this police report out. I have contacted the records department and all they can do is forward me to the reporting police officers voicemail.

My wife is about 80% recovered. She has returned back to word.
Thank you for asking!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Little update.

Well like I posted, the accident occurred on March 2nd and as of today April 26 we still have nothing.

Last week I called the County Records department. The deputy sent an email to the reporting officers patrol car to report to her.
Later that day the reporting officer came to my house and personally apologized for it taking so long and to get some information DL #, and policy # that was put into the report wrong.

Hopefully this week we can get some closure to this accident finally.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Little update.

Well like I posted, the accident occurred on March 2nd and as of today April 26 we still have nothing.

Last week I called the County Records department. The deputy sent an email to the reporting officers patrol car to report to her.
Later that day the reporting officer came to my house and personally apologized for it taking so long and to get some information DL #, and policy # that was put into the report wrong.

Hopefully this week we can get some closure to this accident finally.

Yikes. What a pain! Hopefully that helps to get things in motion again.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Ron, great to see your wife is improving and that is excellent news that you had the attending Officer visiting you with an open apology.

Great news there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts