Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find a link to their review of the Renegade Limited 4x4 on line to post here but was unsuccessful. The car they reviewed is a loaded Limited and was virtually the exact model I was interested in. As tested price was $33,180. After reading the review which was not the greatest and seeing the price and what can be had from others, I've dropped the Jeep from consideration. You can buy a Honda CRV top of the line AWD for basically the same MSRP and probably less out the door. It's bigger, faster and much better fuel economy as well as having more high tech features like active lane keeping, active breaking, radar cruise, etc. Some of C& D quotes - "Silly engine is a 180-hp vibrator, you will never be taken seriously driving it." "Unlike actual tiger sharks, the Jeep's 2.4 liter engine loves to give foot massages." etc. etc. Not very complimentary.

I just don't think you are getting value for your money here. In addition observed fuel economy was 21 mpg.

Disappointing :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Some of C& D quotes - "Silly engine is a 180-hp vibrator, you will never be taken seriously driving it." "Unlike actual tiger sharks, the Jeep's 2.4 liter engine loves to give foot massages." etc. etc. Not very complimentary.

I just don't think you are getting value for your money here. In addition observed fuel economy was 21 mpg.

Disappointing :(
Thanks for posting that, the vibration is a concern, something to watch for when we start the test drives. I tried the CR-V but not so much legroom for me, and no offroad capability, but will keep my options open.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Vibrations I can believe, but observe 21 mpg??? You can nearly do that with a Wrangler on the highway. That does not sound right at all. That sounds to be either wrong or the vehicle they tested had a serious problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
My guess is this report came from one of those click-bait sites with a name similar to car AND driver (like carANdriver.com or some crap). They are all over the internet spreading completely false but very enticing headlines.

The sites we have complained about previously on the forum continue to spout "future of renegade not looking good" and "consumers hate the renegade and want to light them on fire" type headlines...

The grammar is horrible and there's a picture of an average joe type journalist at the bottom named something white-bread like Mike Smith... but they're sometimes very obviously written by someone for whom English is a second language. I'm not judging because we have very many well spoken people from around the world as members on this forum. I'm just saying it's an indication of a click-bait type site.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would advice you to take the car for a test drive before you drop it. From my experience the magazines can be very biased and predisposed. In the end what really matters is what you think of the car and not what a magazine tester thinks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm confused... The Renegade has all of those features too
Almost but no cigar. The Jeep lane keeping feature warns the driver but doesn't actually keep the car in the center of the lane. The Honda does this as well but also has Lane Keeping assist that will actually steer the car. The Jeep forward collision warning plus, slows the car. The Honda system automatically applies the brakes after warning you and tightens the seat belts. The Jeep Blind Spot warning flashes an icon on the outside mirror. The Honda system actually has a camera to give you a video on the Nav screen.

I'll still check out the Jeeplet when available and might be won over. Only pointing out, as have others, that the pricing seems a little out of whack for what you get. The Trailhawk seems in a class by itself, but I'm not going to tackle the Rubicon so don't need that. :laugh:

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI the Renegade does have full-stop capabilities with its FCW. There's a demo video around somehwere. It will first warn the driver, and if the driver doesn't respond, it will come to a full stop on its own. But, that's not to be mistaken with active cruise controls like Mercedes-Benz's Distronic Plus. The FCW system in the Renegade is only meant for emergency situations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Almost but no cigar. The Jeep lane keeping feature warns the driver but doesn't actually keep the car in the center of the lane. The Honda does this as well but also has Lane Keeping assist that will actually steer the car. The Jeep forward collision warning plus, slows the car. The Honda system automatically applies the brakes after warning you and tightens the seat belts. The Jeep Blind Spot warning flashes an icon on the outside mirror. The Honda system actually has a camera to give you a video on the Nav screen.
The Jeep does steer itself (if going over 37 mph, Honda has to be over 45 and you have to turn it on every time you get in the car) and it will come to a complete stop from speeds up to around 35 mph. My mom has an Acura MDX and dad has a Cherokee w/ lane keep and collision mitigation, I've driven both and prefer Jeep's systems but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I picked up this issue of Car & Driver today and read the article. You make the review sound way more negative than it really is. Yes, they do use some sarcasm about the engine and they feel the engine is not very refined (a little noisy), but they then go on to say that they like the car and it is fun to drive.

They say the 0-60 time with the 2.4/9-speed auto is 8.8 and with the 1.4/6-speed is 8.7, and on the skidpad they said 0.78g which they say is not very good, but then they also say that the car still feels fun to drive even though the handling measurements on the track were not impressive. They also said braking distance is very short, but the car does nose dive a bit in hard braking.

Overall they like the car and think it's a huge improvement over the Patriot/Compass.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked up this issue of Car & Driver today and read the article. You make the review sound way more negative than it really is. Yes, they do use some sarcasm about the engine and they feel the engine is not very refined (a little noisy), but they then go on to say that they like the car and it is fun to drive.

They say the 0-60 time with the 2.4/9-speed auto is 8.8 and with the 1.4/6-speed is 8.7, and on the skidpad they said 0.78g which they say is not very good, but then they also say that the car still feels fun to drive even though the handling measurements on the track were not impressive. They also said braking distance is very short, but the car does nose dive a bit in hard braking.

Overall they like the car and think it's a huge improvement over the Patriot/Compass.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts

They said "yikes" to 32K for a loaded limited but, for example, a loaded Soul is 30k without AWD and many of the advanced tech features of the Limited.

They also seemed to be comparing the 0 to 60 times of the 4x4 Renegade to FWD cars...

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts

Thanks for that. That 0-60 time is right on the margin of acceptable for me. NJ traffic is awful and once you hit the 9 second mark every merge feels like you are rolling the dice on having an accident. I'll probably change the dealership I was going to take a test drive at to one I know their test drive loop includes multiple merges.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They said "yikes" to 32K for a loaded limited but, for example, a loaded Soul is 30k without AWD and many of the advanced tech features of the Limited.

They also seemed to be comparing the 0 to 60 times of the 4x4 Renegade to FWD cars...
I think most in this forum also said "yikes" to 32k for a loaded limited.

As for 0-60 times, yes they are a bit slower than I would have guessed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for that. That 0-60 time is right on the margin of acceptable for me. NJ traffic is awful and once you hit the 9 second mark every merge feels like you are rolling the dice on having an accident. I'll probably change the dealership I was going to take a test drive at to one I know their test drive loop includes multiple merges.
I live in PA and work in NJ, traveling both the 95 and Route 1 corridor every day to/from work. One of our cars is a smart fortwo. It has 0 problems merging onto the major highways, despite its ridiculous 0-60 time. In fact, we're often passing other cars as we merge. I can understand wanting more HP/TQ, but to insinuate that the 0-60 times on the Renegade are potentially dangerous is ludicrous.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.