Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car and Driver recently published a ranking of every subcompact crossover SUV on the market. This growing segment includes the Renegade, as well as other popular vehicles like the Honda HR-V, the Mazda CX-3 and the Nissan Juke.

In the end, C&D ranked the Jeep Renegade 3rd saying,

Small, cheap, and cheerful, the Renegade is just as much fun as its toylike dimensions might lead you to believe. Its styling is full of nifty Jeep touches, including two removable “My Sky” roof panels and clever design details sprinkled throughout.

Power comes from a 160-hp 1.4-liter turbo four-cylinder with a six-speed manual or a 180-hp 2.4-liter four with a nine-speed automatic. Each is available with front- or four-wheel drive, and the Trailhawk model promises real off-road capability.
Here is the full ranking:

1. Mazda CX-3
2. Nissan Juke
3. Jeep Renegade
4. Fiat 500X
5. Honda HR-V
6. Chevrolet Trax
7. Buick Encore
8. Mini Cooper Paceman

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nissan Jukes look like alien bugs to me, but I see a lot of them around.

I test drove an AWD Touring CX 3; it was the only other vehicle I was considering other than a Renegade, and it's a pretty sweet ride, I have to say. Renegade has a better dashboard/tech setup and 4WD, among other things, but CX 3s are pretty cool. They're almost identical in price, but Renneys definitely make better use of their interior space. It was a tough choice for me!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I looked at/or test drove most of those cars and here is my order of preference:

Renegade more utility less crossover.
500X drove it liked the renegade better.
HR-V (built on Fit platform) surprisingly roomy.
CX3 I have owned a couple of mazdas; RX8, Speed3 and liked them but this car is to small for me now.
Juke no joke fun to drive.
Paceman fun to drive a bit small.
Encore I have a grudge with GM so I don't care.
Trax Encore with a bow tie, more GM I just don't care.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drove an Encore before buying the Renegade. As you might expect the interior was all very nicely finished with enough switches and technology to challenge an astronaut. But the Encore is seriously under powered. And the cabin felt so much more cramped than the Jeep. The particular Encore that I drove had been a dealer's loaner car and I was given an attractive offer on it. But the Latitude had all of the creature comforts that I need and came as a 4X4. Not a hard choice to make as the buying price was nearly identical.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've always read that the Juke is awesome to drive, but not very friendly when it comes to space. Also, that "sportiness" is really hampered for me by a lack of a manual with AWD.

The CX-3 just looks very unappealing to me. It's just a Mazda 2 on a raised suspension. My wife drives a CX-5 and I like it, but the CX-3 is just too car-like.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not gonna lie. If the Juke was less ugly and have 4wd with a manual I might have bought one. The Nismo was very fun to drive. However you would have to take a saws all to all the plastic in the rear to get any usable truck space.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Overall a good ranking when you consider how much longer the top two vehicles have been around. The Renegade is receiving many accolades which is rare for a first year production vehicle. Once the transmission is fully sorted out, it will receive even more.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Overall a good ranking when you consider how much longer the top two vehicles have been around. The Renegade is receiving many accolades which is rare for a first year production vehicle. Once the transmission is fully sorted out, it will receive even more.....
The original poster for this thread linked to the simple flipbook thing they made. Their full comparative review can be seen here. Indeed it was the 9spd auto they had the most gripe about. I had even asked in their comments section if their outlook would have been different if they test drove a 1.4T/6spd instead in this test.

Why isn't something like a Crosstrek included in this lineup?
It should've been and C&D's comments reflect other people had the same thoughts as you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You have to take these comparison reviews of vehicles with a grain of salt. Most of the time a reviewer shows his bias when he expects the SUV to perform like a sporty sedan and have the comfort and quiet of a luxury car. The only person who has an opinion that counts is the owner that has to live with the vehicle. Never purchase a car based on a magazine or the bird cage liner called Consumer Reports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.