Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now my rear number/reg plate has fallen off the car. Luckily the car was stationary and I noticed it so I didn't lose it.
I think its the change in outside temperature that causes the adhesive to soften or something.
Anyone else had this problem?
I might have to get the superglue out ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are, any car I've had in the past had the plates screwed on. I'm not keen on this adhesive nonsense for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've added glue spots to the adhesive strips and stuck it back on.
I also managed to prise the front plate off without much effort as there was a gap in the middle where the adhesive strips had detached from the car. So its now glued on too.
Hopefully that will be them on forever!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have seen and heard of pc plod stopping cars with metal number plates. They then had to have them made in perspex. I don't see anything wrong with metal number plates, but the traffic plod do.

The other thing I have seen traffic plod giving folk a tug for is the use of football club crests at the end of a number plate. Apparently the only things legal on a number plate are the registration mark, obviously, the BS___ code of the plate supplier, supplying dealers name on the bottom of the plate underneath the registration mark. The only flags allowed on cars registered on the UK mainland are the European blue flag with the stars in a circling the letters GB, or St Andrew's the Saltire, St George's cross and the Welsh flag. I would like the Yorkshire flag, but have been told I am liable to getting a tug from pc plod or traffic plod.

Saw one guy in a VW with metal number plates getting grief as he had 'D' not 'GB' on the plates. I can see why, as the car was GB registered, not German registered.

Over time I have seen several vehicles with wonky number plates. I put it down to the use of adhesive pads holding them in place, rather than self tapping screws or plastic bolts.

Sorry to have gone on a bit!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've added glue spots to the adhesive strips and stuck it back on.
I also managed to prise the front plate off without much effort as there was a gap in the middle where the adhesive strips had detached from the car. So its now glued on too.
Hopefully that will be them on forever!
Did you superglue it to the paintwork?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is the dark grey plastic rectangle attached to the car?
I have no idea as I didn't build it :D

I'm guessing it may be screwed on? And then the plate was/is adhered to it.
The grey plastic isn't the issue, its the perspex plate that was falling off.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have no idea as I didn't build it :D

I'm guessing it may be screwed on? And then the plate was/is adhered to it.
The grey plastic isn't the issue, its the perspex plate that was falling off.
I wonder why it need a plate to fix the plate to.

I will be fitting a personalised plate so just wondering how easy it will be.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts

I will be fitting a personalised plate so just wondering how easy it will be.[/QUOT

I have been looking on the DVLA website but not bought mine yet. I am allowed to have a personal registration on my motability car. Mine is football related. What's yours?

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

I will be fitting a personalised plate so just wondering how easy it will be.[/QUOT

I have been looking on the DVLA website but not bought mine yet. I am allowed to have a personal registration on my motability car. Mine is football related. What's yours?

My wife's name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.