Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Curious...went to the mechanic they said i needed a carbon cleaning on my 3 year old rennie withe 24k miles on it. Also they suggested i used a high octane gas once a month as it has more detergents. Heard its a myth but want to see if theres any truth and if so, how do i prevent carbon buildup?

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
While they are good videos, the 2.4 and 1.4T are not direct injection engines.

The only way they can tell if you need a carbon cleaning for your valves is if they started disassembling stuff in the area, or if they scoped it. If you didn't have work that involved either of them, they didn't do free investigative labor, and it's just an upsell for their various flushing/cleaning services that may actually be contrary to factory recommendations.

That being said, it's good to run gasoline with a good detergent package in it. It matters more who you buy from than what grade. Their's a program call top tier that requires a chain to use a high grade detergent package in their fuels. You cna look up what chains are on it, just google top tier fuel brands. Myself, I stop at the cheapest place on the way to work and they are not top tier. I occasionally chuck in a tank full of top tier because i fill up when at costco whoa re a top tier brand. I also would chuck in a bottle of injector cleaner about once every six months. Never had issues on my last car (it also required premium though, and premium fuels may have more detergents in general).

If you got this recommendation in conjunction with their fan recall work, be doubly suspect. I'm going to guess that given the tight space and all the plastic parts, that although book for the fan work is 1.5 hours, FCA may not be reimbursing them at full rate, or all the plastic bits and small spaces make getting under book hard, or a combination.

I know my dealer tried to upsell me to a throttle body cleaning "because it was looking real varnished in there". The 2.4l throttle body is between the engine and the firewall near the driver's a pillar. You have to pull out all sorts of stuff to get to it. They didn't do that. They didn't scope it, and likely they had no intention of doing that had I paid. They'd likely just spray a can of stuff in the intake for a minute or two and take my money. Which BTW, they wanted $475 for it. Which is INSANE. A brand new one is literally under $200 and the labor on it is maybe half an hour. That's some serious BS. While my dealer isn't usually super awesome about trying to keep costs down, they are usually more of the type to just jump to replacement that's more expensive than any given piece of doing it bit by bit, but will cost less than if the bit by bit doesn't work, saves them time, and doesn't have you come back until the next thing breaks than to outright rip you off.

They also tried to tell me FCA didn't have the parts for the fan when they did.

I'm guessing FCA is screwing the dealers on compensation for this recall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard you should do the highest octane gas once a month. Is this true? Also how often should u use cleaner ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I heard you should do the highest octane gas once a month. Is this true? Also how often should u use cleaner ?

Octane is not a rating of quality, it is an antiknock index used by auto manufacturers and gasoline companies. The higher the octane, the less chance of gasoline pre-ignition. If your vehicle is rated for 87 octane, then anything higher is a waste of money, as the vehicle was not engineered for it.

This being said, the best gasoline to use is Top Tier Gasoline. Top Tier is cleaner and better refined for a modern engine.

https://www.toptiergas.com/consumers/

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Octane is not a rating of quality, it is an antiknock index used by auto manufacturers and gasoline companies. The higher the octane, the less chance of gasoline pre-ignition. If your vehicle is rated for 87 octane, then anything higher is a waste of money, as the vehicle was not engineered for it.

This being said, the best gasoline to use is Top Tier Gasoline. Top Tier is cleaner and better refined for a modern engine.

https://www.toptiergas.com/consumers/

Yes i always use mobil and apparently was told to utilize 93 for the higher detergents

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes i always use mobil and apparently was told to utilize 93 for the higher detergents

I'm not sure about any higher detergents, you can do homework on that, but 87 is what's recommended. Anything higher is generally a waste unless you're towing in the heat or have high performance upgrades. The Top Tier gasoline have all the detergents an engine needs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure about any higher detergents, you can do homework on that, but 87 is what's recommended. Anything higher is generally a waste unless you're towing in the heat or have high performance upgrades. The Top Tier gasoline have all the detergents an engine needs.

Yes i was recently at mobile and their 93 has morr detergents due to the “supreme 2x” or whatever it seems. Been using mobile and thus fat 87

1 - 16 of 16 Posts