Jeep Renegade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you Atlas, pictures 4 and 5 are exactly what I needed to see.

All but confirms my thoughts that you wouldn't be able to open the sunroof with the lower flush mounted style crossbars with the basket on top.
I was able to put some spacing (cut strips from anti fatigue mat) under my mounts and get the basket barely high enough to open the sunroof. It still barely touches it though, so I am not comfortable opening unless I can monitor it as it moves. I am using Whispbars, so they are as flush as you can get. If I found a little thicker mat or better yet strips of solid flexible rubber, I might be able to get it up just the perfect height.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was able to put some spacing (cut strips from anti fatigue mat) under my mounts and get the basket barely high enough to open the sunroof. It still barely touches it though, so I am not comfortable opening unless I can monitor it as it moves. I am using Whispbars, so they are as flush as you can get. If I found a little thicker mat or better yet strips of solid flexible rubber, I might be able to get it up just the perfect height.
Good thinking. Do you think it might affect stability if heavier loads are used in the basket at all?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good thinking. Do you think it might affect stability if heavier loads are used in the basket at all?
I thought about that at first, but after I did it I was fairly convinced it was not going to be an issue at all. I think if I found some actual rubber strips, it would be even more of a non issue. The anti fatigue foam is a very high density foam padding. It was only used as a temporary quick fix for a small trip, it would probably break down over time. I threw a couple suitcases up there and went on a quick 400 mile trip with no issues.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I thought about that at first, but after I did it I was fairly convinced it was not going to be an issue at all. I think if I found some actual rubber strips, it would be even more of a non issue. The anti fatigue foam is a very high density foam padding. It was only used as a temporary quick fix for a small trip, it would probably break down over time. I threw a couple suitcases up there and went on a quick 400 mile trip with no issues.
Good deal man, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I caved and finally ordered base bars (Rhino Rack - Vortex Stealthbars) and a cargo basket (Go Rhino SR40). Basket is 60" long by 40" wide, almost exactly what i wanted, if not perfectly what I wanted.

I attached a pic of the rack, haven't seen anyone use these and I really like the idea, beats having to externally mount a light bar. Should be installing both next week, will provide pics and details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
So I caved and finally ordered base bars (Rhino Rack - Vortex Stealthbars) and a cargo basket (Go Rhino SR40). Basket is 60" long by 40" wide, almost exactly what i wanted, if not perfectly what I wanted.

I attached a pic of the rack, haven't seen anyone use these and I really like the idea, beats having to externally mount a light bar. Should be installing both next week, will provide pics and details.
Can you get it modified to be exactly what you want?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe yourself? They make a 48" and a 60", a black and a stainless, no light cutouts, 2 light or 4 light setups with and without pre installed lights.

I chose without because I want to try and rig a 3" pod on each end for flood light and cut the middle two into a longer version for a 20" bar for a driving light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Roof cargo basket?

Hi renegade fanatics.
Anyone out there with a cargo basket on The roof. Looking for suggestions, i have seen Thule Canyon and looked on ebay on several ones. I want it to be solid black and look good of course.:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Roof Safari Rack

I know it was posted earlier on this thread, but not mentioned if anyone has actually mounted a Safari type rack directly to the factory roof rails. I really like the look of Surco's Safari Rack & how I can accessorize it. Anyone have any input? Looking at a 45' x60' so it would go most of the length of my TH. Not worried about taking MySky off or the sunroof opening, as I wouldn't use those functions when using the rack.

·
Registered
161 Posts

How have you liked the Go rhino basket? I am thinking of buying it but without the light cutouts...I like the Rhino x tray as well and have recently seen the Rage Powersports cargo tray as well.... But I keep coming back to the black go rhino... would love to hear your thoughts, since you've had it for a while... thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since we are all about cargo baskets here, I thought I would chime in with mine. I was looking for something that was low profile(ish), modular so I can add equipment mounts, and huge. The one that caught my eye the most, was used in several builds from Storm Jeeps.

This is the Front Runner Outfitters Slimline II strap on rack:

The rack is 53" by 61.5" (1345x1560mm) and it covers almost all of the black area of the roof.

It's pricey, coming in at $940 which includes the mounting system. It is a worthwhile investment for me as I have plans to do some serious off-roading and require the capabilities of this particular rack.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts