Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Renegade August 2020, brand new, with the 1.3 Ltr Turbo. Did first oil change, dealer never reset the oil change indicator, I called, they told me don't worry about it.
Car died, luckily in my driveway at less than 14 months old. Had it towed to the dealer who said it had what looked like "carmel pudding" in my coolant with virtually no oil.
They had it for a couple weeks, all really nice and keeping me informed. They have ordered a new cillanoid (sp?) and are having engineering look at it. They now have to flush the engine as this "pudding" was in the hoses, etc.
They also mentioned a possible new engine.
Thoughts? I am not a car guy. I am a lady who wants reliability but a bit of fun.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds pretty bad.

I would go for a full new engine at their expense. No way to tell how much damage has occured or potential future issues could crop up.

·
Registered
880 Posts
sounds like the oil was added to the coolant and not the engine.
Or alternately that someone added the wrong type of coolant. As an over-simplification, adding "green" Prestone-type universal coolant to the red/pink type the Renegade uses can cause unpleasant reactions, turning your coolant into brown sludge.

On the other hand, if you got the vehicle new in 2020, there shouldn't have been any reason for anyone to add coolant...

On the third hand, if no one but the dealer has serviced the vehicle, it would be a pretty-egregious mistake for them to add oil to the coolant... Besides being poured into the coolant overflow tank, there's no way the correct amount of oil would have fit into that coolant tank. Though if you had "virtually no oil," that would be consistent with them draining the oil first; then putting the new oil into the wrong place. o_O

Was the Renegade not showing a low oil warning?

Anyway, if that's what happened, the dealer would certainly be responsible for any damage...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or alternately that someone added the wrong type of coolant. As an over-simplification, adding "green" Prestone-type universal coolant to the red/pink type the Renegade uses can cause unpleasant reactions, turning your coolant into brown sludge.

On the other hand, if you got the vehicle new in 2020, there shouldn't have been any reason for anyone to add coolant...

On the third hand, if no one but the dealer has serviced the vehicle, it would be a pretty-egregious mistake for them to add oil to the coolant... Besides being poured into the coolant overflow tank, there's no way the correct amount of oil would have fit into that coolant tank. Though if you had "virtually no oil," that would be consistent with them draining the oil first; then putting the new oil into the wrong place. o_O

Was the Renegade not showing a low oil warning?

Anyway, if that's what happened, the dealer would certainly be responsible for any damage...
They asked twice if they were the only one's who serviced the vehicle. They were and the oil change light was never reset after the oil change.

·
Registered
880 Posts
They asked twice if they were the only one's who serviced the vehicle. They were and the oil change light was never reset after the oil change.
I assume that was at the same time they said they'd need to flush the coolant? Yeah, I would have asked that too. (Oh, wait, I sort of did. :) )

Sounds like they realized in horror they might have screwed something up.

Just out of curiosity, does this dealer sell (and service) other brands of vehicles? If they do, that might be how they used the wrong type of coolant -- if that's what happened.

No matter which it was -- wrong coolant, or putting oil into the coolant -- that sounds like gross incompetence. At least it sounds like they're going to make it right...

Do you know which "solenoid" they said needed replacing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume that was at the same time they said they'd need to flush the coolant? Yeah, I would have asked that too. (Oh, wait, I sort of did. :) )

Sounds like they realized in horror they might have screwed something up.

Just out of curiosity, does this dealer sell (and service) other brands of vehicles? If they do, that might be how they used the wrong type of coolant -- if that's what happened.

No matter which it was -- wrong coolant, or putting oil into the coolant -- that sounds like gross incompetence. At least it sounds like they're going to make it right...

Do you know which "solenoid" they said needed replacing?
This is a Chrysler Jeep dealer and that was the first oil change, they offered nothing else.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This is a Chrysler Jeep dealer and that was the first oil change, they offered nothing else.
OK. Assuming no one went into the Renegade in your garage and added something they weren't supposed to, it sure looks like the dealer was at fault.

Problem is, how do you prove that...?

Were you checking the oil level periodically (every month or so), like you're * ahem * supposed to as an owner? See your Owner's Manual. In case you don't know, this is where you fill the oil, on the passenger side of the engine -- the triangular-shaped black cap at the red arrow, with the yellow "check oil" and "add oil" symbols on it:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Automotive exterior

That's also where the dipstick is for you to check the oil level -- which you certainly should have done immediately after the oil change, just to check that they did it right.

The 1.3T engine (same as we have) takes 4.8 quarts of oil with a filter change -- which needs to be changed every time the oil is changed.

And here's the overfill tank for the red coolant, on the driver's side in front of the battery:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Normally the level of the red coolant in the overflow tank should be about half-way, like it is here. That's certainly where it should have been on your rather-new Renegade. That would only leave space for about a quart of any kind of fluid to be added before the overflow tank is filled.

It would also be painfully obvious to even a novice grease-monkey, with the transluscent overfow tank, that honey-colored oil was being added there by mistake.

Do you have the invoice from when the dealer changed the oil? It should say how much oil they put in. It should be about 4.8 quarts. And, if they used the correct specification of oil, it's only available in quart bottles (at least at my dealer); so they should certainly know how many bottles they used. Just wondering whether the invoice says they used 4.8 quarts of oil. And, if so, I wonder where they put all of it in...

Oh, Sellenoid was the VVA??
I had to look that up. That's the Variable Valve Actuator Solenoid. I don't know much about those, but it should control the timing of when the valves open and close depending on your engine speed and load.

Now normally solenoids electrically. I had to look it up; aparently on these engines that solenoid is hydraulic-electrical; oil pressure (the hydraulic part) acts on it to open it, and electrical voltage is used to close it. So there's definitely a relationship between the oil level (and therefore oil pressure) and the solenoid...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
So... Oil leaking through the head gasket into the coolant? Enough to lose almost all of the oil?

Well, being a year old with about 10,000 miles, that would certanly be covered under warranty...
It looks like, it really does.

And yes, should defiantly be covered under warranty.

And if it isn't a head gasket, the 1.3 turbos have an oil cooler. If the oil cooler fails, it would/could push pressurized oil into the cooling system.

Reactions: Nev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Assuming no one went into the Renegade in your garage and added something they weren't supposed to, it sure looks like the dealer was at fault.

Problem is, how do you prove that...?

Were you checking the oil level periodically (every month or so), like you're * ahem * supposed to as an owner? See your Owner's Manual. In case you don't know, this is where you fill the oil, on the passenger side of the engine -- the triangular-shaped black cap at the red arrow, with the yellow "check oil" and "add oil" symbols on it:
View attachment 2396352810

That's also where the dipstick is for you to check the oil level -- which you certainly should have done immediately after the oil change, just to check that they did it right.

The 1.3T engine (same as we have) takes 4.8 quarts of oil with a filter change -- which needs to be changed every time the oil is changed.

And here's the overfill tank for the red coolant, on the driver's side in front of the battery:
View attachment 2396352811

Normally the level of the red coolant in the overflow tank should be about half-way, like it is here. That's certainly where it should have been on your rather-new Renegade. That would only leave space for about a quart of any kind of fluid to be added before the overflow tank is filled.

It would also be painfully obvious to even a novice grease-monkey, with the transluscent overfow tank, that honey-colored oil was being added there by mistake.

Do you have the invoice from when the dealer changed the oil? It should say how much oil they put in. It should be about 4.8 quarts. And, if they used the correct specification of oil, it's only available in quart bottles (at least at my dealer); so they should certainly know how many bottles they used. Just wondering whether the invoice says they used 4.8 quarts of oil. And, if so, I wonder where they put all of it in...

I had to look that up. That's the Variable Valve Actuator Solenoid. I don't know much about those, but it should control the timing of when the valves open and close depending on your engine speed and load.

Now normally solenoids electrically. I had to look it up; aparently on these engines that solenoid is hydraulic-electrical; oil pressure (the hydraulic part) acts on it to open it, and electrical voltage is used to close it. So there's definitely a relationship between the oil level (and therefore oil pressure) and the solenoid...
Yep, I know where oil goes and where the dipstick is. I am not a mechanic, don't want to be, bet you all don't know the PE value on most of the S&P or know immediately where the 10 year bond rate is - that is my thing, mechanical items are not and I trust a dealer I pay, to do the right thing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yep, I know where oil goes and where the dipstick is. I am not a mechanic, don't want to be, bet you all don't know the PE value on most of the S&P or know immediately where the 10 year bond rate is - that is my thing, mechanical items are not and I trust a dealer I pay, to do the right thing.
Sorry, I meant no offense. It just sounded from your first post that it was only after you had the Renegade towed to the dealer that they discovered there was almost no oil...

Hey, I'm no financial expert -- far from it -- and that's why we have a financial advisor. But I do check how our investments are doing every couple months... 🙄

Please let us know what they finally determine, and what they're going to do about it...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, I do, so there !! 😛

Yeah, I'm lying......;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts