Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my Renegade August 2020, brand new, with the 1.3 Ltr Turbo. Did first oil change, dealer never reset the oil change indicator, I called, they told me don't worry about it.
Car died, luckily in my driveway at less than 14 months old. Had it towed to the dealer who said it had what looked like "carmel pudding" in my coolant with virtually no oil.
They had it for a couple weeks, all really nice and keeping me informed. They have ordered a new cillanoid (sp?) and are having engineering look at it. They now have to flush the engine as this "pudding" was in the hoses, etc.
They also mentioned a possible new engine.
Thoughts? I am not a car guy. I am a lady who wants reliability but a bit of fun.
I just had a 2 month ordeal with my 2018 renegade. Ultimately the engine had to be replaced. The original issue was the same as yours. If you research Jeep, Fiat, Chrysler ‘class action lawsuits ‘ you will find all the information you need. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Contact a lemon law lawyer about your rights! Once the car has been out a total of 20 days or more you have legal rights and protection! The car you bought does not have same value. I have a case pending with the makers of Jeep.
I am on day 23.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is one of the few cases where someone is shouting to get a lawyer that actually falls within the Lemon Law statutes. I would be very concerned of the long term effects of this on the engine, even after repair.
Michigan Lemon Law is 30 days, I am at 24 now. Have not had a call in a while and in the last call, last week, they mentioned an engine replacement or taking time to clean all hoses and parts. Probably won't hear over the weekend, so Monday will be day 27. I have been super patient as they gave me a rental car to use in the meantime and I do want it repaired properly. I do get that mechanisms fail. Engineers who create these are people to, and sometimes you don't know how something new will work until it has real world, heavy duty, testing. This is the new 1.3 Turbo engine, first year. I know my husband never likes to buy first year of any model. I just would like to be able to depend on a vehicle. I am sure they will do what they need to.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Any updates?

"Clean all hoses" does sound like serious oil contamination in the cooling system. Though cleaning the hoses won't fix the reason why all that oil got in there in the first place. That sounds like an engine rebuild -- or replacement.

Yours was the first year for the 1.3T, but I haven't heard about any other serious systemic issues. I hope not, since we've got a 2021 with that engine (second year).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I still do not have my car, since November 9th. They are replacing a module, it finally arrived this week. We will see what happens them. I am being patient.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Is that in addition to the oil/coolant issue? Because I doubt any module would correct that.

It was fortunately sounding like they were taking full responsibility for the problem...
That is why I posted on here. You guys are more about engines than I. Would a module make a difference?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Would a module make a difference?
Well, a "module" on modern vehicles is generally a mini-computer that controls something specific -- or a bunch of things. Many of them on modern vehicles. Did they say which module it is?

But oil -- that much oil -- getting into your coolant wouldn't be a computer issue -- it would be a mechanical (physical) issue, like IDoMyOwnRacing suggested in Post #11.

That's why I'm suspecting they maybe found the bad module in the course of troubleshooting the oil/coolant problem, and the two aren't related.

So besides the module, they'd be cleaning everything out or replacing the engine. I'd hope/push for replacing the engine, because -- like JustinC1431 wrote in Post #25 -- I'd be concerned about long-term hidden damage.

As I understand it, (only) successfully pursuing the Lemon Law would get you an entirely new vehicle. But that would take legal proceedings, and you'd have to show (I think) that what's wrong with the vehicle is not repairable...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I still do not have my car, since November 9th. They are replacing a module, it finally arrived this week. We will see what happens them. I am being patient.
You, are a Saint.

I most definitely do not have your patience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Still have the rental, day 34, I call every few days to see where they are. The rental is fine, no mileage on my car and I am getting from point A to B just fine. I definately will not be keeping this vehicle out of warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, a "module" on modern vehicles is generally a mini-computer that controls something specific -- or a bunch of things. Many of them on modern vehicles. Did they say which module it is?

But oil -- that much oil -- getting into your coolant wouldn't be a computer issue -- it would be a mechanical (physical) issue, like IDoMyOwnRacing suggested in Post #11.

That's why I'm suspecting they maybe found the bad module in the course of troubleshooting the oil/coolant problem, and the two aren't related.

So besides the module, they'd be cleaning everything out or replacing the engine. I'd hope/push for replacing the engine, because -- like JustinC1431 wrote in Post #25 -- I'd be concerned about long-term hidden damage.

As I understand it, (only) successfully pursuing the Lemon Law would get you an entirely new vehicle. But that would take legal proceedings, and you'd have to show (I think) that what's wrong with the vehicle is not repairable...
That is what the lawyers are for, they do all the work! Believe me the car makers are getting sued all the time. I did not have to go court. It took 4 months to get a settlement and a new engine. It doesn't hurt to talk to a lemon law lawyer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That is what the lawyers are for, they do all the work! Believe me the car makers are getting sued all the time. I did not have to go court. It took 4 months to get a settlement and a new engine. It doesn't hurt to talk to a lemon law lawyer.
Called again today, no update. Chrysler/Jeep STAR engineering is working with the mechanics on my vehicle. (We are in Michigan.) They can't even tell me what modules have been ordered because they are being ordered by the engineering team, not the local dealership mechanics.
If am just hoping it all works, my car was paid off in month one as we never believe in car payments, so I do have clear title. Might be considering something else if we can't get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
UPDATE: Engineering and Tech from the manufacturer has agreed to put in a new engine.
That is good news. At least they are trying to do the right thing.

Is the rental car a loaner from the dealership lot or from a rental car agency? Stay on top of that as well... I had an extended warranty repair on my other Jeep, but it wasn't purchased from the servicing dealer. They didn't have any available loaners, but provided me a vehicle from the rental agency down the street. They promised left and right not to worry, all rental charges covered. Months later had to sort out the billing cluster **** when I received a collections letter from the car rental agency.

·
Registered
991 Posts
UPDATE: Engineering and Tech from the manufacturer has agreed to put in a new engine.
Great news. That's a huge hit for Jeep -- what, around $10,000 or so? That's what took so long -- they had to swallow hard... :)

Of course, now it's going to take a while for them to get the new engine and install it... 😕

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great news. That's a huge hit for Jeep -- what, around $10,000 or so? That's what took so long -- they had to swallow hard... :)

Of course, now it's going to take a while for them to get the new engine and install it... 😕
I got $3000 and a new engine

21 - 40 of 40 Posts