Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"Search" is your friend on this topic. Several owners have upgraded their radios and have logged all the procedures in doing so. But be forewarned; if you think you're gonna pull the old, insert the new, and roll down the road, you are mistaken. It's a lot more complicated than that... a lot more. Even choosing another uConnect radio that is offered for your Jeep isn't plug-n-play.

It's do-able, but you really gotta wanna do it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
any quality radio from Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine will work, and will have car play garbage and android auto. simple install using idata link maestro.

do yourself a bigger favor, ditch the crApple junk, and get an android phone and leave the herd behind.

·
Registered
244 Posts
"Search" is your friend on this topic. Several owners have upgraded their radios and have logged all the procedures in doing so. But be forewarned; if you think you're gonna pull the old, insert the new, and roll down the road, you are mistaken. It's a lot more complicated than that... a lot more. Even choosing another uConnect radio that is offered for your Jeep isn't plug-n-play.

It's do-able, but you really gotta wanna do it.
using an idata maestro and a good radio, it is literally plug and play, even all the obd2 stuff is retained

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
any quality radio from Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine will work, and will have car play garbage and android auto. simple install using idata link maestro.

do yourself a bigger favor, ditch the crApple junk, and get an android phone and leave the herd behind.

Lets not be idiots and insult people's choices of consumer products.

I will also say that since part of my real job is providing MDM support for a BYOD mobile environment with about 35,000 users doing whatever the hell they want with their phones.... well one platform is a flaming turd of randomly changing behavior between the OS developer, the OEM, the carriers, and all the above posses a glaring disregard for industry standards. The other platform works, is more standards compliant, and is mostly just over priced. One platform also is easy to get our in house mobile app deployed on because they are basically a cesspit of every malicious piece of shovel ware, and the other platform is a pain in the butt because they make an effort to clamp down on the really abusive stuff. Half of infinity bad things is still basically infinity bad things though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's not necessarily true that it has to be complicated. My new stereo was plug and play, including the steering wheel controls. I bought the Maestro unnecessarily (returned it for my money back). The only noticeable item that does not work right now in the dash it says Radio Off (no antenna or channels shown for XM radio either but I can live with that). I missed telling the installer one other item as I did not speak to him myself, so may be returning to add a few cables and an SD card to the stereo, but it does have a USB plugin. I just have the wifi hotspot attached to it to browse the Internet with it instead.

So in hindsight:
get the adapters installed (bought them, they didn't install them) to retain the USB connect and add an extension to keep AUX connect
get the SD Card for the stereo itself before you install it
get the extra USB cable to connect the USB for your phone installed from the back of the stereo (they only did one)
I bought a Klyde stereo overseas, if you choose to do so, don't get the wifi there as it may not work in the U.S.

Essentially - I just got in and drove off. The only issue with it is that I live in a junky area for radio reception and wifi signal so I want to install a signal amplifier. Otherwise I can watch YouTube online in my car no problem. (I sit a lot, drive for Uber). I am still learning it, still figuring it out, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Even if I have to pay again to rerun some cables and add the SD. Maybe I'll add an amp to the system to warrant the additional $65!

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a few drop in head units to choose from. They install in 10 minutes with no additional parts needed. Most of them are android based. If you need to install a backup camera that will take some time and effort to install. Search your model on AliExpress.
Standard "off the shelf" head units will require data link to install, plus a dash adapter kit. If you have beats audio that will require an additional "expensive" kit to work around it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are a few drop in head units to choose from. They install in 10 minutes with no additional parts needed. Most of them are android based. If you need to install a backup camera that will take some time and effort to install. Search your model on AliExpress.
Standard "off the shelf" head units will require data link to install, plus a dash adapter kit. If you have beats audio that will require an additional "expensive" kit to work around it.
First question:
Are you saying that it is plug and play even if you currently have a back-up camera and only takes effort if you are adding one. Or are you saying that hooking up to the existing back-up camera takes some effort?

Second question:
Is there a list somewhere of the plug and play head units?

·
Registered
43 Posts
They work with factory cameras, no additional effort needed. Many support a dash camera if you want to add one.
I don't know of any single retailer that carries a variety of them to choose from.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interested as well.I'm in the USA and would be looking at getting it done at Best Buy, unfortunately there isn't many options where I live but them, maybe a window tint installer, but he doesn't have CarPlay radios.
So those that have done it I have 2016 TH with backup camera, which units at BB are compatible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts