Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 renegade trailhawk, i'm at 2500 miles, time to change break-in oil. i prefer castrol edge, a 5-30 has all the required specs, still looking for 0

·
Registered
799 Posts
For the 1.3T engine, my 2021 Owner's Manual recommends 0W-30 that meets API SN PLUS and MS-14430 specifications.

I see that Castrol Edge meets the specifications, but like you say is 5W-30.

The only oil I've found that meets all three recommendations is Mopar from the dealer. If I couldn't get that from the dealer, I'd feel comfortable with the Castrol Edge. Particularly if you're not in a super-cold climate.

Didn't you get any free oil/filter changes from the dealer? I got two years' worth...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've done lots of research on the oil for the 1.3L. The Mopar MS-13340 spec isn't super stringent, it's like Dexos. However, I feel that spec is inadequate given that the 1.3L has a tendency to dilute the oil with gas, so an SN+ 0W30 becomes closer to an 0W20 around 4-5k miles in the OCI. I'm basing this off one oil analysis from mine and am waiting on a second one. I was running Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 but last oil change, I switched to Mobil 1 ESP 0W30. Many people on Bob is the Oil guy believe Mobil ESP is one of the top oils around. For a turbo that's direct injected, you want a high HTHS and low SAPS. HTHS is how resistant to shearing the oil is - forget about the grade, you need to look at this. Anything SN+ is going to be resource conserving and around 3.1 HTHS at most (most likely 2.9-3.0). The Mobil 1 ESP is at 3.5. Low SAPS reduces intake valve deposits. ESP meets some stringent standards like MB 225.51/225.52 and VW 504/507. The MB standards also test for timing chain wear and LSPI, so you're covered there too. Another comparable oil is Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30. Either of these oils will provide superior protection than the factory specs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the 1.3T engine, my 2021 Owner's Manual recommends 0W-30 that meets API SN PLUS and MS-14430 specifications.

I see that Castrol Edge meets the specifications, but like you say is 5W-30.

The only oil I've found that meets all three recommendations is Mopar from the dealer. If I couldn't get that from the dealer, I'd feel comfortable with the Castrol Edge. Particularly if you're not in a super-cold climate.

Didn't you get any free oil/filter changes from the dealer? I got two years' worth...
thank you for your swift reply, this is for an oil change out of sequence(earlier) than the scheduled via a vehicle warning to change oil, want to get rid of any break in gremlins in the oil so..early change

·
Registered
799 Posts
this is for an oil change out of sequence(earlier) than the scheduled via a vehicle warning to change oil
Yup, same with me. I've had the 2021 Trailhawk for almost six months now, and have only put less than 2,500 mi on it. o_O That's what happens when you're retired and don't commute any more...

In the "Old Days," you were supposed to do the initial oil change with a new car at like 1,000 miles. That requirement is long gone with modern engine design and tolerances. I was planning to go to 5,000 mi before the first oil change, but at this rate that's going to be about a year altogether. I get several (I want to say three...?) free oil/filter changes from the dealer in the first two years, so I'm looking at when I need to do the first one... I may have it done at 2,500 mi...

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've done lots of research on the oil for the 1.3L.
I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, or saying that I'm doubting you. You obviously know a lot more about engine oil than I do. But you're making some assertions here that -- like college term papers -- beg for some citations.

The Mopar MS-13340 spec isn't super stringent
Cite...? My understanding is that OEM specs aren't readily available. Not that I'd understand what they mean anyway...

the 1.3L has a tendency to dilute the oil with gas
Like through gasoline leaking past the valve rings into the oil sump? Why would this engine do this any more than others? Cite...?

Many people on Bob is the Oil guy believe Mobil ESP is one of the top oils around.
While I respect Bob is the Oil Guy, I'm not sure that "many people" there believing that a particular oil is great, means that it's the right oil for my engine.

ESP meets some stringent standards like MB 225.51/225.52 and VW 504/507.
Those aren't necessarily more-stringent standards than others; in other words, they aren't necessarily "better" than standards with "lower" numbers. For instance, VW 504.00 is for European longer-service-interval standards; the equivalent standard for North American fixed-service-interval standards is VW 502.00. I'm not sure one is "superior" to the other. And VW 507.00 is for diesel engines; I'm not sure that's applicable to gasoline engines.

Again, you may very well be correct that a 1.3T engine doesn't need MS-13340. But as far as I'm concerned, since I'm not an oil expert, I'll stick with that...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, or saying that I'm doubting you. You obviously know a lot more about engine oil than I do. But you're making some assertions here that -- like college term papers -- beg for some citations.

Cite...? My understanding is that OEM specs aren't readily available. Not that I'd understand what they mean anyway...

Like through gasoline leaking past the valve rings into the oil sump? Why would this engine do this any more than others? Cite...?

While I respect Bob is the Oil Guy, I'm not sure that "many people" there believing that a particular oil is great, means that it's the right oil for my engine.

Those aren't necessarily more-stringent standards than others; in other words, they aren't necessarily "better" than standards with "lower" numbers. For instance, VW 504.00 is for European longer-service-interval standards; the equivalent standard for North American fixed-service-interval standards is VW 502.00. I'm not sure one is "superior" to the other. And VW 507.00 is for diesel engines; I'm not sure that's applicable to gasoline engines.

Again, you may very well be correct that a 1.3T engine doesn't need MS-13340. But as far as I'm concerned, since I'm not an oil expert, I'll stick with that...
My first oil analysis showed lots of fuel dilution - it’s common with DI engines. My second one came back better, in a tolerable range, but the SN+ 0W30 still broke down to almost an 0W20. Many used oil analysis testify to the stoutness of Mobil 1 ESP- I let the data analysis guide my oil choices. No one knows what exactly the factory spec is, but being that it’s on SN+ and SP oils, it’s not very stout. The HTHS on those oils are not high, and my oil results from running such an oil were mediocre. I don’t know if the engine is that hard on oil, or if the fuel is the culprit, but either way, a higher HTHS oil will stay in grade better. So that is why I was recommended to try the Mobil 1 ESP. A simple look at UOAs shows it’s a leading oil. Here are the links to my paste UOAs using SN+ 0w30.

As for citations, this is all common knowledge and easily found with a minimum of effort. Please post up your oil analysis….I’d like to see how the Mopar oil stands up and if you have similar patterns. I’m curious to see how the Mobil 1 ESP works for this oil change and will post my next results. Again, let’s see yours too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done lots of research on the oil for the 1.3L. The Mopar MS-13340 spec isn't super stringent, it's like Dexos. However, I feel that spec is inadequate given that the 1.3L has a tendency to dilute the oil with gas, so an SN+ 0W30 becomes closer to an 0W20 around 4-5k miles in the OCI. I'm basing this off one oil analysis from mine and am waiting on a second one. I was running Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 but last oil change, I switched to Mobil 1 ESP 0W30. Many people on Bob is the Oil guy believe Mobil ESP is one of the top oils around. For a turbo that's direct injected, you want a high HTHS and low SAPS. HTHS is how resistant to shearing the oil is - forget about the grade, you need to look at this. Anything SN+ is going to be resource conserving and around 3.1 HTHS at most (most likely 2.9-3.0). The Mobil 1 ESP is at 3.5. Low SAPS reduces intake valve deposits. ESP meets some stringent standards like MB 225.51/225.52 and VW 504/507. The MB standards also test for timing chain wear and LSPI, so you're covered there too. Another comparable oil is Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30. Either of these oils will provide superior protection than the factory specs.
Was reading this in the back of mobile 1 esp 0w30 and look like this oils is for diesel vehicle. So is this bad?
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 full synthetic oil is formulated for passenger car diesels with diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and gasoline catalytic converters (CATs)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was reading this in the back of mobile 1 esp 0w30 and look like this oils is for diesel vehicle. So is this bad?
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 full synthetic oil is formulated for passenger car diesels with diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and gasoline catalytic converters (CATs)
No, it’s for both gas and diesel.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Please post up your oil analysis….I’d like to see how the Mopar oil stands up and if you have similar patterns. I’m curious to see how the Mobil 1 ESP works for this oil change and will post my next results. Again, let’s see yours too!
Well, that's another reason why I stick with the OEM recommended specification... I don't take the time, effort, or expense of doing oil analyses... Plus I wouldn't know what I was looking at with the results... :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, that's another reason why I stick with the OEM recommended specification... I don't take the time, effort, or expense of doing oil analyses... Plus I wouldn't know what I was looking at with the results... :)
I’m all for OEM specs and OEM fluids when you can’t prove anything is better. Like coolant or tranny fluid etc…but I just have a hunch the OEM oil spec isn’t in the best interest of longevity due to the oil analysis’s mine has given me. Once I find the 0w30 that stays in grade for 5k miles I will be happy!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it’s for both gas and diesel.
Check this out.
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is an advanced full synthetic oil specially formulated for passenger car diesels that have the latest diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and gasoline catalytic converters (CATs). The proprietary full synthetic motor oil is designed to help deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with potential fuel economy benefits. Mobil 1 ESP has active cleaning agents that help to reduce deposits and sludge buildup for a cleaner engines. Helps to reduce oil aging with outstanding oxidation stability for extended drain interval protection. Low ash, sulfur, and phosphorous content help to reduce particulate buildup in DPFs and reduce poisoning of CATs. Excellent low temperature capabilities for quick cold-weather starting and ultra-fast protection. Mobil 1 is America’s leading synthetic motor oil brand at retail*, recommended by car builders and experienced mechanics, and is the Official Motor Oil of NASCAR®. (*Source: The NPD Group/ Retail Tracking Service/ Dollar Sales/ PCMO Full Synthetic/ 52 weeks ending August 29, 2020)Features:Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 full synthetic oil is formulated for passenger car diesels with diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and gasoline catalytic converters (CATs) Low ash, sulfur, and phosphorous content help to reduce particulate build up in DPFs. Active cleaning agents that help to reduce deposits and sludge buildup for a cleaner engine. Helps to reduce oil aging with outstanding oxidation stability for extended drain interval protection. Excellent low temperature capabilities for quick cold-weather starting and ultra-fast protection.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
JH, please do not be so ignorant as to copy and paste a phrase.

The guys on here are are doing their best to assist you as they explain a "quote". Why are you not able to do the same:unsure::whistle:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts