Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk with the 2.4. We bought it new and it has 182K on it. We drive a lot but its been a pretty good car considering we beat it up using it for work which requires long road trips.

In December 2021 the car had about 160K on it and I got a CEL with a P0420 code. After swapping both oxygen sensors didnt fix it I pulled the trigger on a Dorman OE Manifold/Catalytic Converter from O'reilly and swapped it out myself. Job wasnt too hard. That turned the check engine light off for good, however since then I lost about 2 MPG overall which I considered surprising. Sidenote: best MPG ive ever gotten with this Jeep was about 22MPG average but I was down to 19MPG after the catalytic converter swap.

On a recent road trip a month or so ago I watched my MPG drop down to 15 and the car ran real sluggish. No CEL came on. I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the tank and that improved things. Figured I maybe got a bad tank of gas. A couple weeks later my CEL comes on again and its back with P0420. So i've swapped the O2 sensors again and each one kept the CEL off for about 20 miles before it turned on again with P0420.

My only next step is to consider a faulty catalytic converter right? I checked and Oreilly does offer a warranty on it for up to a year and its only been 8 months. It was almost $600 and the Mopar ones are nearly $2500 so warranty seems like nest logical step. Has anyone else had repeated cat problems like the above or had better luck with a Dorman?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang, $2,500! Ouch! Do you still have the old one? Was it just clogged? Long shot, good ol' Scotty has shown you can soak them in soapy water for a while and it will occasionally clear them up enough to be used. Best of luck mate, not looking forward to that task one day myself.

Jay
Dont have old one. Just got the replacement one off and warrantied with Oreilly. The one I just took off (which i installed only 6 months ago) had no more catalytic material in it at all. It was all burned out. But also found out that my blown engine mounts (also doing those) caused the engine to rock so much that the bracket where the catalytic converter mounts to the engine and where it meets the rest of the exhaust pipe snapped off.

So now I have a bolt I need to get out of the engine case and I need to track down what that plate is that snapped off and order a new one. Anyone know that part number? It's listed as #9 in this schematic but I can't find actual part number anywhere online.
Font Auto part Parallel Circle Diagram

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I can't duplicate that bracket in any of my mopar sources. But the fact that it isn't blue or "choose-able" suggests it can't be ordered for whatever reason. Backorder, unavailable, etc. It is a bracket to OEM setup. Your new parts may not be designed for that bracket anyway. Gotta be 110% sure on your needs nowadays before beating your forehead to the keyboard looking.

Hell, I'm sure of the part and number I need but I just got my 7th cancelled order for an engine mount. They say they have it "in-hand" but they lie, and cancel the order.

Good luck part number hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts