Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TH. I am going to install a Cobra 29 LX cb with the antenna on the roof and would like some suggestion on which brand (K40, Wilson "lil wil") and length of antenna. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just curious, where will you run the coax wire?

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I used to run low-bands mobile, the biggest problem I had was finding a mount that could handle the weight/wind load of the bigger antenna's.

While not the best performing antenna, I ended up with a screwdriver antenna on a mount similar to this:

The bad part is that after being on the vehicle for a while, it slowly rubs off the paint - even with the padding.

However, you could mount this on the hood or on the back hatch and it should hold a CB Antenna without much problem.

I haven't really looked hard at the Renegade for how to run a coax, I mostly run VHF/UHF these days and the antenna on the HT's work well enough for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I found my shorter( 4' ), tunable, Firestik antenna mounted on the roof of my Suburban works better and stronger than my buddies' long, whip antennas mounted on their bumpers. I have a cheap Cobra CB unit also, that I added a speaker to yesterday; consider doing that too.

Make sure you add a heavy duty spring. The downside to a roof mount is getting it snagged on branches, but I mounted mine on the backside of my Yakima crossbars and I haven't had any problems. I don't have the clamp overtightened on the crossbar so between the spring and "loose" clamp it just bends over or the clamp twists backwards and I just hop up and straighten it up. You'll need a little slack with the coax to accommodate the clamp moving a few inches.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
But where do you route the cable to get it into the car. I'm not sure I want to drill a hole in the roof and am leery of damage due to pinching the cable in the window.

·
Registered
83 Posts
But where do you route the cable to get it into the car. I'm not sure I want to drill a hole in the roof and am leery of damage due to pinching the cable in the window.
If you take a look at the cable in the pic I showed earlier - that's a thinner re-enforced section of coax (I forget the RG rating).
I slammed a truck tailgate on mine for years with no issues...
You just feed the coax in thru the hatch slit - I know a lot of SUV owners that all do it the same way.

Another way to do it is with a mag-mount. I haven't put one on yet to see what it would do, but with a bigger antenna you'll need something with a lot of holding power - then you just feed the coax in thru a window and roll it all up and put it in the trunk when you're done....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here are a couple possible entry points. To confirm we need someone with the time and inclination to carefully remove a few parts to see if it is possible.

Idea 1) Existing Antenna, if you mount the CB antenna on a roof rack crossbar, maybe you can route the coax under the existing AM/FM antenna mount. You would have to notch the antenna base a little for coax clearance and a dab of black silicon to seal the route. Then inside, it may have to be routed under the headliner?

Idea 2) Since Mopar has shown a forward roof mount light bar, I'm wondering if there is an access hole under one of the existing roof rails that could be used to route the coax?

Idea 3) If you mount the antenna away from the possible access hole from Idea 2, when you remove the roof rails to check out Idea 2, see if there is enough room under the rails to run a coax to the forward access hole? If so, then the antenna could be mounted anywhere along the length of the roof rail / roof basket?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Old truck. I did punch a hole through the roof and sealed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.