Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s a tutorial for anyone who’s interested in removing their center console.

Start by moving the front seats as far forward as they’ll go. Move to the rear seats and look on the lower side of the console for a plastic cover.

Using a small flathead screwdriver, pry it off by the small opening on the bottom of the cover.

Once removed, unscrew the large bolt.

Repeat these steps on the other side.

Then move to the front seat cup holder. Remove the rubber liner by prying it off with your fingers, working around the edge of it.

Remove the screw shown.

Now move to the gear shifter trim. This process is used for automatic transmissions but may be similar for manuals as well.

With a small flathead screwdriver, pry the top right corner of the trim to where you can get your fingers under it, and remove the rest by hand by working around the edge. It will all pop off.

Unplug the electrical wiring to the shifter display.

Now separate the shifter boot from the trim. This is done by looking on the underside of the piece and separating the tabs holding the two together using a small flathead screwdriver.

Move to the driver’s side footwell. Remove the side trim by wedging your fingers on the bottom of it and pulling it off. It will pop off.

Now, use a tool to push in on these tabs (marked red) to break them off. Don’t worry, they’re very weak and seem to just be there for assembly at the factory. The broken tabs can be taken out once the console is moved. Now unscrew the three screws (marked green).

Repeat these steps on the passenger side.

Note: If you haven’t removed everything in the cubby in front of the shifter, now is the time.

Now, you can remove the console. Work it around so that it comes up and “hinges” at the rear. Don’t worry about pulling on wires, there’s plenty of wiggle room and seems to be attached at the back of it. I found it’s easier to move it off the gear shifter if it’s put in drive. Unplug all the electrical plugs and you now have a center consoleless Jeep!

Assembly is just the steps in reverse. Note, when putting back on the footwell trim panels, put the end facing the front of the car in the groove before snapping it in place. You’ll understand when you see it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Great write-up. Do you have an interior picture of the Renegade with the console removed? Curious to see what it looks like removed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great write-up. Do you have an interior picture of the Renegade with the console removed? Curious to see what it looks like removed.
Here’s the best I got. For what I needed I didn’t need to remove it entirely. A silly fruit punch spill stained the cup holder ambient lighting and needed cleaning :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Jeepatron, we need to get you out of Lockdown asap before there is nothing left in the Jeep to strip down. :p:p:p

Great job and brilliant pictures 🏆 🏆 🏆
You’re too late, all I got left is a chassis and engine.

Thank you very much puddlesplasher, Mrsig, and dgr401!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Jeepatron I am sure another couple of nuts and bolts that we have never seen will be further appreciated :p:p:p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for this. Didn't know I was missing the illuminated cup holder feature until reading the cup holder thread. Found a used lighted cup holder and was wondering how to remove the console.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this. Didn't know I was missing the illuminated cup holder feature until reading the cup holder thread. Found a used lighted cup holder and was wondering how to remove the console.
Enjoy the lighted cup holder, just don’t spill fruit punch in it :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
I knew the 2018+ floor consoles were slightly different, and I did part number research and it looked that the cup holders part numbers were interchangeable between pre-18's and 18's and up. Wrong. Cup holder is totally different. From the parts list, no lighted cup holders were made for 2018's and up.

Removed the top trim piece to see what I was working with to remove the non-illuminated trim ring and that's when reality hit. Of course I did this after I had disassembled and cleaned up the salvage cup holder...

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew the 2018+ floor consoles were slightly different, and I did part number research and it looked that the cup holders part numbers were interchangeable between pre-18's and 18's and up. Wrong. Cup holder is totally different. From the parts list, no lighted cup holders were made for 2018's and up.

Removed the top trim piece to see what I was working with to remove the non-illuminated trim ring and that's when reality hit. Of course I did this after I had disassembled and cleaned up the salvage cup holder...
Well that’s a bummer. I know those lighted cup holder units are expensive too (at least OEM). Maybe someone would be interested in buying it?

At least you got mega cup holders compared to my minuscule ones!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I was really looking forward to doing this. Oh well. This unit I got off ebay for cheap (as compared to new OEM). Can't really even verify the unit works since I never/couldn't plug it in. If any 2017 and older model wants it they can have it free.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, I was really looking forward to doing this. Oh well. This unit I got off ebay for cheap (as compared to new OEM). Can't really even verify the unit works since I never/couldn't plug it in. If any 2017 and older model wants it they can have it free.
I read this and said "FREE ?? That's within my budget !!". But both my cup holders light up (Duh, no kidding, it's one LED and a light pipe...). Then I thought "Spare for when mine DO go out !!". Then I thought, you're being so kind about this, I'll leave them be for someone that needs it now, not somewhere down the line. Yeah, I got a little selfish there for a bit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts