Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk and l love it, but I'll be spending the winter in the California mountains and will need snow chains. Sounded simple enough, but nope. I have 215/65r17 tires. So far my understanding is 1) I shouldn't use them (tell that to the CA police), 2) if I do they should be front tires only and 3) the only tires I have confirmed are ok are Konigs and almost $600 each. I cannot afford to drop $1200 on chains for 4 months, most of which I'll be in town and not needing them. I'm just looking for an <$100 each pair of chains that will probably sit unused. Any advice?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi. I have a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk and l love it, but I'll be spending the winter in the California mountains and will need snow chains. Sounded simple enough, but nope. I have 215/65r17 tires. So far my understanding is 1) I shouldn't use them (tell that to the CA police), 2) if I do they should be front tires only and 3) the only tires I have confirmed are ok are Konigs and almost $600 each. I cannot afford to drop $1200 on chains for 4 months, most of which I'll be in town and not needing them. I'm just looking for an <$100 each pair of chains that will probably sit unused. Any advice?
first of all if you have a jeep you don't need chains with MS rated tires and 4x4. I know there are jeeps without 4x4 capability which blows my mind that anyone would buy one without all wheel drive capability.
That said just buy cable chains they are legal and cheap. But again you must only drive less than 25mph with any type of chain. Just put her in 4x4 and go for it that what jeeps were made for
I live 50% of the time in Ca. and often travel in the mountains and have never ever had to put on chains on improved roads only in mud

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
cobra chains are cheap and model 1042 fits 215-65-17. They are like $48 on amazon per pair.

The snow chains all have disclaimers about alloy wheels, and may damage alloy wheels. Not like crash and die damge, jsut scratch up the finish damage. The oem tires likely have enough sidewall to avoid that. The only reason for the $400+ setups is low profile wheel and tire setups.

The manufacturer advice is all sorts of funky and confusing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
cobra chains are cheap and model 1042 fits 215-65-17. They are like $48 on amazon per pair.

The snow chains all have disclaimers about alloy wheels, and may damage alloy wheels. Not like crash and die damge, jsut scratch up the finish damage. The oem tires likely have enough sidewall to avoid that. The only reason for the $400+ setups is low profile wheel and tire setups.

The manufacturer advice is all sorts of funky and confusing.
cable chains have no chain on the sides to damage the rims

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You guys are so lucky 😭😭😭

I've had my Jeep for almost 5 years and it's only seen snow for 1 night and I was in the house watching from the bedroom with the above tears running down my face. The beer in my hand meant no driving for fun. Next day the snow was gone.

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
Shouldn't need chains with 4x4 & good tyres. (3PSF, not just M&S.) But try the composite nylon ones if you want to have some to show the cops Michelin EasyGrip.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You guys are so lucky 😭😭😭

I've had my Jeep for almost 5 years and it's only seen snow for 1 night and I was in the house watching from the bedroom with the above tears running down my face. The beer in my hand meant no driving for fun. Next day the snow was gone.
thats funny. I would say at least 25% oif the time i drive i had a beer in my hand until I hit 70 then no more beer.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Life experience set me up to refrain from DUI. My younger Brother died aged 27 in an RTA as a passenger with his mate who was driving. Both died and his mate worked for the Police.

That was almost 30 years ago when DUI was more prevalent as opposed to now.

More drivers in the UK are caught DUI the morning after when they think their blood alcohol count is clear. However I am so sorry for temporarily and non intentionally hijacking the story line of snow chains.

BFloyd and I accept our wrap of the knuckles from the teachers ruler :eek:😢

·
Registered
384 Posts
Life experience set me up to refrain from DUI. My younger Brother died aged 27 in an RTA as a passenger with his mate who was driving. Both died and his mate worked for the Police.

That was almost 30 years ago when DUI was more prevalent as opposed to now.

More drivers in the UK are caught DUI the morning after when they think their blood alcohol count is clear. However I am so sorry for temporarily and non intentionally hijacking the story line of snow chains.

BFloyd and I accept our wrap of the knuckles from the teachers ruler :eek:😢
I accept on the condition that everyone else gets wrapped for each time they disobey driving rules. No one obeys any of the current laws exceot maybe the ones pretaining to alcohol because alcohol has been replaced by pot which is harder to detect. I almost always obey speed limits and most traffic laws something no one today seems to do they drive 60 in 40mph zones and 80 in 65mph zones. Police don't seem to write tickets anymore and I don't blame them for that I blame administration.
I personnally have a big issue with laws not enforced. If a law is not to be enforced then it should be taken off the books.There not removed because the more laws the more power those exempt from the laws have over the general population. If a law is not worth enforcing then take it off the books!

·
Registered
623 Posts
To combine both topics...If you ever see me putting snow chains on my vehicle, take my keys away as I MUST be drunk.

It doesn't snow where I live....

·
Registered
384 Posts
To combine both topics...If you ever see me putting snow chains on my vehicle, take my keys away as I MUST be drunk.

It doesn't snow where I live....
Youve never done much playing in mud then or you would have learned the value of a set of chains on a jeep

·
Registered
623 Posts
Youve never done much playing in mud then or you would have learned the value of a set of chains on a jeep
Did a lot of playing in mud but never strapped on chains. Chains were for ice, not loose mud.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did a lot of playing in mud but never strapped on chains. Chains were for ice, not loose mud.
then you never been in real mud or familiar with why the original tire designed for jeeps was narrow. Research found that with wide tires you stay on top and slide around like on grease but a narrow lugged tire dug down to the firm stuff to get a grip. In my early jeep days when we souped up V8's and put giant wide tires for"traction" we had tons of fun getting stuck and winching each other out drinking beer but every once in awhile someone would come buy with a surplus jeep with stock tires and just drive right on around our high horsepower souped up rigs with wide large tires and went on down the trail which got me to thinking. Now i have been in valley areas of alluvial nature and peat in which there was no bottom to get a grip on then you ended on your axles. I have used chains to get out once i jacked up my vehicle and put boards or other stuff under the wheels so under carriage was out of the mud and to get an initial bite.Every situation is different. The trick is to learn to feel whats happening and stop before your up to the axles.
The original jeep maxed out at 3,000 rpm and 60hp but could drive rings around most other all terrain vehicles then and now with that combination and stock army tires. Let me say that if wide large tires and high hp were the best combination to get from point A to B the Army jeep would be built that way. The issue with high HP is that a tiny movement of the gas pedal results in tons of hpp to the wheels breaking traction and once that happens you start spinning and may end up stuck. The little 60hp 4 banger gas pedal really dosent do much cause of the itty bitty anemic engine so it never breaks the tires grip so you keep on going down the trail. In fact the normally aspirated 2.4 in my rene trailhawk is kinda like that and it has taken me some amazing places that i would have never dreamed this little car could go. I would love to see a turbo on the 2.4 but I'm afraid that would make the throttle to responsive for delicate situations.
Chains are cheap insurance and should always be carried when not on pavement

·
Registered
623 Posts
bfloyd4445-

I guess I should've said my Jeeps when I mudded were M38A1 (military) M38 (military) and they both sported NDT military tires. No chains needed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
bfloyd4445-

I guess I should've said my Jeeps when I mudded were M38A1 (military) M38 (military) and they both sported NDT military tires. No chains needed.
a ha ha...chuckle, you got it. They are pretty hard to beat. There are places in which you do need flotation like in loose sand dunes then you don't want to dig down dune buggy style. I remember one time in Pa. on a paved road in the winter that was straight but was a series of small hills. You would go down one then up the next then down. It started snowing and i kept going light snow shouldnt stop me but when it hit the bottom of a hill i could not get up the next one no matter what i did. I had summer tires no chains so i figured i would wait the night out and let the sun free me. This was before cell phones and there were no homes for miles so i hunkered down running the engine when it got to cold. Well i only had a 1/4 tank of fuel with no heavy blankets just a lacket and that was it. I guess it was about midnight when i decided to give it one more try before i ran out of gas and she drove right on up and out. When the pavement got cold enough to freeze the melting snow runoff froze in little streams giving texture to the road surface my tires could grip. I thanksed God for that cause i was FREEZING AND HONGRY BEER RAN OUT HOURS AGO......I was 21 at the time the car was a 1962 Rambler station wagon with worn street tires. That was a great running car wish i still had it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts