Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade 4x4 sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are tired of the yellow lights in front of your Rene but are like me tired of looking for a legitimate canbus error free LED light system for both, here is what I did!!! I went online to Amazon an bought a set of 9008/H13 Voltage Automotive upgrade bulbs for $17, and a set of 1157 silverstar's for the drl's at $9.99. Now I know they are not led bright white light, but they are not ugly yellow anymore either!!!! Can't post a pic yet cause it's still daylight out but post one soon. The good news won't be any error codes. And with only 800 miles on it I wasn't about to cut an splice wires for LEDs still got a lot of bumper to bumper warranty left!!! Lol

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade 4x4 sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and ment say don't order your 1157 silverstar bulbs from Amazon they will most likely send you LEDs from what I read on the reviews. Got mine at oriely's $10.99 an I get a 10% military discount.

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
+1 for upgraded standard bulbs.

Philips Whitevision headlamps and Maruta MTEC white effect side/drls here.
No muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried LED bulbs but got flashed by people AND realized they didnt throw light down the road as effectively as regular halogen bulbs.

The fault lies in the reflector style assembly and that most LED bulbs have their chips shooting light in a horizontal fashion out the sides (the reflector headlight assembly is meant to reflect output from a 360 degree bulb) results in a floodlight type effect where it you stare at the headlights they seem brighter (people flash you) but the beam pattern isn't as efficient.

All that said I then tried Siverstar Ultra halogen bulbs and have been very happy. Great light output, throws way down the road, NEVER BEEN FLASHED, they are pricy and you still have the yellowish look.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Reviving an old post on purpose.

Lots of thought has gone into this topic since the Renegade was established. Perhaps Jeep at some point inthe future will provide LEDs as a standard throughout all it's models.

I am now committing myself to an Amazon purchase (via Prime) for next day delivery of LED Headlights, DRLs and Foglights.

The bulbs in question and research need to be acknowledged as posted in another topic by another member. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Drls, arrived today, just waiting on the headlight bulbs within the next few hours and I believe the fog lights are in the drawer.

Pictures to follow at the weekend 😁😁😁

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Lights 2.JPG
lights 3.JPG

The main headlight bulbs are the wrong ones as they have 2 pins for the LEDs but my standard headlight has 3 pins:

lights 5.JPG

and it gets worse as the foglights that were ordered are also wrong as this is the connection I need to fit the standard wiring plug from the fog light harness:

lights 1.JPG

The fog light is similar in shape to the headlight with the 3 securing lugs but smaller in diameter and is permanently attached to this plug.

I can get straightforward LED replacement bulbs with those fittings. If only I had examined my 2015 Renegade before ordering bulbs. Turns out Amazon has sent the wrong ones. That was my own fault but hey ho! The next lot of bulbs are now getting ordered. :p:p

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I had a wee look at these bulbs and ask if you guys believe I have picked the correct ones this time based upon the lighting plugs above.

fog.PNG
headlights.png

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had these LEDs in my headlights for a few months now. The major problem that most people don't realize is that the light needs to be directed properly. I read somewhere in the Amazon reviews that our headlights are designed to direct the light from the sides but at the time of install, i didn't yet know that.

I got these bulbs and by default, the LED chips were positioned up and down when locked in place. This caused a low beam/ high beam effect. THAT would definitely cause the beam pattern to blind people.

I took them out and after seeing the other reviewer mention the sideways positioning, i took the small hex screw out of the bulb and turned the LED housing from its base to a sideways position and re secured the hex screw. NOW it focuses the light better, and I've not once had any drivers flash me.

Here are the ones i used. Extremely happy with them too.

Beamtech is the company, and i chose them based on the number of great reviews they received. I'm now one of them.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Beamtech is the company and I chose them based on the number of great reviews they received. I'm now one of them.

Here are the ones I used. Extremely happy with them too. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073ZDLKT9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have had these LEDs in my headlights for a few months now. The major problem that most people don't realize is that the light needs to be directed properly. I read somewhere in the Amazon reviews that our headlights are designed to direct the light from the sides but at the time of install, I didn't yet know that.

I got these bulbs and by default, the LED chips were positioned up and down when locked in place. This caused a low beam/ high beam effect. THAT would definitely cause the beam pattern to blind people.

I took them out and after seeing the other reviewer mention the sideways positioning, I took the small hex screw out of the bulb and turned the LED housing from its base to a sideways position and re secured the hex screw. NOW it focuses the light better, and I've not once had any drivers flash me.
Apologies for rearranging your post. I too read that the bulbs when fitted will normally lie on the horizontal axis and blind drivers. As you stated the solution is to install them on the vertical axis to prevent blinding other drivers. So glad that you paid attention and corrected that issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes i feel it's the reason so many people hate on LED upgrades for the halogens, because while brighter, they still work in the same way that halogens do.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I was wary of my LEDS when fitted as I felt the light was being diffused particularly in an Urban scenario with the orange street lights we have in the UK.

Only when out on the dark open roads did I really notice a difference. I could see a line on the road similar to my normal halogens but I felt it should be brighter. Fortunately I have the headlight level adjuster function. Dropping from 0 to 1 gave me a lovely line on the road and the proof of it was the beam pattern when stopped at temporary traffic lights as the beam was focused at slightly above bumper level of the car in front. Going back to zero, though not blinding moved level with their number plate.

So if anyone is considering LEDS, fear not and have some faith and trust.

If upon my " UK MOT" test that my mechanic instructs me that the LEDs are not to MOT standard then that's also a simple fix as the normal bulbs are in the glove compartment and are readily swapped over in minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts