Jeep Renegade Forum banner

How frequently has your renegade (or jeep)'s check engine light lit up your life since owning?

• 1-2 times

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 3-5 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never, it's perfect.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 1,000,000 times or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idk, so not many times I suppose.

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short - my 2017 Jeep Renegade's check engine light bulb will likely burn out soon as I can't really recall a time it hasn't been on for one reason or another, since purchasing new in 2017 (only 14 miles on it at the time).

The only reliable thing about this vehicle is that its favorite check engine error code seems to be the "ESIM ( evaporative systems integrity module / leak detection sensor for the fuel tank)". This issue has popped up not once - not twice but three times since purchasing. The dash light has been going on and off for so long now that I'm not even really sure what having 4 wheel drive is like.

Every time that evil little yellow engine icon appears, Jeep's super-convenient feature/bonus mode just adds to the party by disabling 4 wheel drive (any settings) entirely on the vehicle, until fixed/code is cleared!

First experience with the ESIM error appeared within months of purchase, & my lemon jeep was at the dealership for days at a time while "repairs" were completed/diagnosed. 2nd time it happened was last year, & of course just 2 weeks shy of my state inspection expiring at the time, and the latest / newest issue had hauntingly similar bad timing.... inspection renewal time again.

Had it at the shop a few weeks back (end of August) for nearly 2 full days and the repair was completed with a $100 deductible....but I then was told that there wasn't 'enough time' for the service dept. to drive the 50ish miles needed to reset the vehicle, and actually inspect it as requested. :rolleyes:🤦‍♀️ I was then told to drive it for the next 5 days or so and asked to bring it back in the following weekend to finish the inspection part of my appt.

Literally no more than 2 days after it had been 'repaired', guess what? you probably already know...here comes the persistently taunting check engine light lit up like a tree .🚮

A very packed work schedule made it difficult to bring the car back to the shop for 2/3 weeks (inspection still overdue) and the dealer isn't nearby - so this week I took a half day to bring this pile of...surprises back into the shop and we have a new check engine code indicating a faulty or worn out fuel filler neck with a 'Small Evaporative Systems Leak" P0456 error code.

Guess I'm 'happy' it's not the same issue as the last 12 hundred check engine light repairs this renegade has seen, but clearly the fuel system on my particular gem is doomed - definition of Lemon Law no? lol

Also veryyyy happy I got the extended warranty at purchase because this thing would have been torched on the freeway by now for sure. Not one person at 2 different dealerships ever mentioned to me that the warranty deductible is waived if covered repairs are done where it was purchased...so nearly half way through October, now breathing in gas fumes and gas leaking from the car itself + an overdue inspection (expired end of sept) ... the original dealership's service dept. was able to 'fit me in' on OCTOBER 20TH to have it repaired. Wasn't even guaranteed an inspection in the same appointment because time management isn't a thing dealerships know how to do apparently- and they said it would need to be again driven 50 or whatever miles to clear the code to pass the inspection.

Hoping by 2022 the engine light will burn out from never shutting off and maybe I'll finally be able to get my September 2020 inspection finished up. Thoughts and prayers needed lol

Anyone else have similar issues with their renegade fuel system and a forever kind of check engine light error on the dash? Or other recurring nightma...I mean recurring issues with their renegade?

Biggest regret in life so far = this purchase.

+tire issues from the start (flats, literally no spare in the friggen thing- are you kidding me jeep?)
+driver side door tends to freeze the lock, preventing the latch from closing on cold winter days (~6 months of the year where I live)
+transmission has slipped since driving it home from the dealership on day 1. abrupt jerk/slip happens when accelerating too quickly, but mostly when going from 28/29 MPH to 30 MPH.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
33 Posts
Lady, you have a TON a patience! If I had experienced that many troubles is such a short amount of time, I would have demanded the dealer take back the vehicle and get you what you paid for. My 2018 Latitude was purchased used but I have not had any issues with it at all. Most of the problems I have heard of were from the 2016 model year. You should contact Jeep Cares on this forum to see if they can intervene. They are FCA employees that will aid you in rectifying your troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lady, you have a TON a patience! If I had experienced that many troubles is such a short amount of time, I would have demanded the dealer take back the vehicle and get you what you paid for. My 2018 Latitude was purchased used but I have not had any issues with it at all. Most of the problems I have heard of were from the 2016 model year. You should contact Jeep Cares on this forum to see if they can intervene. They are FCA employees that will aid you in rectifying your troubles.
Hahaha thats been said of me before 😂Patient to a life ruining degree I see now....

Thank you for the advice, will be reaching out to Jeep Cares ASAP! Super appreciated - thanks again :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most of those electrical issues I haven't heard of before. The flat tires are unfortunate... the no spare thing was a cruel joke. I'm glad I got the TH with the full size spare. There have been a lot of issues with the filler necks and fuel backing up, but I haven't heard anything on the sensors going crazy. I'm sorry it's been so rough for you. It's truly awful to buy a new vehicle and have it be unreliable.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would assume the dealership did this, but have you checked the battery ? I mean take it out and have it load tested, not just meter it to see if it has 12VDC. It is known that these Jeeps received a batch of bad batteries. If you have one, yeah it may start fine, but fluctuate enough to drive the computer systems bat crap crazy.

BTW, I also assume you are kidding about waiting for the Check Engine light to burn out so you can pass inspection. An inspection shop hooks directly up to the vehicle OBD port to see ANY errors, they don't use dash lights...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts