Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep Renegade L attitude 2.4L Engine throws a CEL due to P0128 error. 90% Chance this is due to a faulty thermostat. Dealer quoted around 600 Dollars for the full diagnotics and replacement of the thermostat. Local Jeep guy and trusted mechanic quoted 350 Dollars without any diagnostic. Searched online and found your mechanic.com who was able to give a quote of 272 Dollars including parts, labor and 12 month, 12000 mile warranty on their work. They assured me that the mechanic is Jeep Certified technician who has done this work dozens of times. I have booked the time for a week from today giving me time to do some more research and discuss with the technician. If anybody has used yourmechanic.com I would like to hear from you. The difference between the dealer and these guys is about 300 Dollars. The local trusted mechanic and yourmechanic.com is around 80 dollars but yourmechanic tech actually comes to your home and does the work. I will keep you all posted when this gets done.

Lastly, does anyone know whether the thermostat issue has a recall or is it covered under the powertrain warranty? No one seems to give me a straight answer at the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeep Renegade L attitude 2.4L Engine throws a CEL due to P0128 error. 90% Chance this is due to a faulty thermostat. Dealer quoted around 600 Dollars for the full diagnotics and replacement of the thermostat. Local Jeep guy and trusted mechanic quoted 350 Dollars without any diagnostic. Searched online and found your mechanic.com who was able to give a quote of 272 Dollars including parts, labor and 12 month, 12000 mile warranty on their work. They assured me that the mechanic is Jeep Certified technician who has done this work dozens of times. I have booked the time for a week from today giving me time to do some more research and discuss with the technician. If anybody has used yourmechanic.com I would like to hear from you. The difference between the dealer and these guys is about 300 Dollars. The local trusted mechanic and yourmechanic.com is around 80 dollars but yourmechanic tech actually comes to your home and does the work. I will keep you all posted when this gets done.

Lastly, does anyone know whether the thermostat issue has a recall or is it covered under the powertrain warranty? No one seems to give me a straight answer at the dealership.

I had this issue as well. 2017 Trailhawk, cleared the code myself came back a few days later and last weekend replaced the thermostat myself. $40 for the part and a bit of labor if you're up to it. Called the Jeep hotline first to see if any warranty issue but also no real answer. A few TSB's seemed to point to some flash updates but of course those would need to be performed by a dealership for an hour of a techs time I'm sure. There are a couple decent videos on YouTube showing what it takes to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this issue as well. 2017 Trailhawk, cleared the code myself came back a few days later and last weekend replaced the thermostat myself. $40 for the part and a bit of labor if you're up to it. Called the Jeep hotline first to see if any warranty issue but also no real answer. A few TSB's seemed to point to some flash updates but of course those would need to be performed by a dealership for an hour of a techs time I'm sure. There are a couple decent videos on YouTube showing what it takes to replace the thermostat.
Thanks. I have watched those videos and almost took the gamble of doing it myself. The thermostat is 40 bucks, coolant is around 35 plus the tools (which I don't have) and the fact it might take around 2 to 3 hours (Doing it for the first time) to do it, made it easier to get someone else to do it. The dealer has already flashed the ECM and replaced the radiator fan under recall warranty. I checked the coolant temp last night and it is stuck at 185F even after driving for 45 minutes, so I am pretty sure it is the Thermostat that is open. The breakdown of cost is 200 for Labor, 40 for Thermostat and 32 for the coolant and gasket. I think it is pretty reasonable. The date is set for Wednesday 29th. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh for the days of the old Ford Cortina when you could remove the thermostat from under the radiator whilst lying on the ground. Then a quick top up of water and anti freeze. Ahh the time of putting the thermostat in a glass of boiling water to see what happens.

Memories are flooding back :LOL:

The thought of my pocket getting lighter is making my eyes water. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really feel like jeep/fiat needs to recall the thermostat. I have a 17 with 52K miles. At 40k I started getting the check engine P0128. I am a shade tree mechanic and I asked around as I had seen other renegades including 15' and 16' which also had the same code and same issue - thermostat failure. When I dissected the thermostats, I noticed that the valve sticks on them. Other vehicle manufacturer's do not seem to have the issue with a sticking valve with the same prevalence as jeep/fiat. My dos centavos.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
It is a known issue.
The thermostat housing assembly is available at most local part stores for around $42.00-ish.
Two hours (conservatively speaking) and a gallon of antifreeze can get it done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is the old yankee way I solved the problem. I had the exact same issue during the winter of '18-'19. MIL would come on with P128 every so often.....I would simply clear the code and carry on. When it warmed up enough the problem went away. It happened one time this past winter but the code cleared on its own before I could clear it. So I guess my advise is pretend it's not happening and it might eventually fix its self.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
The thermostat housing is available at the local part store for around $40.00 plus the cost of one gallon of antifreeze/coolant. You can replace it yourself in about two hours (if you are working slowly) (or get it done at your preferred local mechanic (my point is, you shouldn't have to pay $500.00 in labor for two hours worth of work)).
There is a good video on YouTube on how to replace it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts