Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Got an OBD2 code reader? We can advise better if you have the code.

I've seen check engine lights for something as minor as a loose gas cap, to a faulty O2 sensor, all the way up to catastrophic ECU failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a code reader, but when I called they asked me to check if my gas cap was on correctly. Not having ever filled my gas tank, I saw that I didn't have one (but they should have already known that). I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the issue is ?

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
Yup, although if the car isn't running or idling strangely, the most common culprit is usually a leak in the vapor recovery system (i.e. usually a loose gas cap, no idea what you can do incorrectly/break with the capless setup), or grounding issues to a part of the body. In my experience brand new O2 sensors reading out of spec often are related to a bad ground making the readings wonky or intermittent.

Could be other stuff, but those would be my top suspects.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
It ended up being a leak in the vapor recovery system. They worded it slightly different, but still the same thing. Fingers crossed this is my only problem :)
Good to hear - wonder where the leak was, since we don't have gas caps on the Renegade... maybe the capless seal mechanism was faulty? Did your service record show what part was replaced if any?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Status update of check engine light

I was driving in to work this am, my second day with the Trailhawk, when my 'check engine' notice came on.
I brought the Jeep back to the dealer yesterday. They read the codes, restarted vehicle, and a bunch of new codes came up. I guess this happened several times, codes would appear, clear, restart, new set of codes....
Because it was the end of the day, they kept the Renny overnight and I'm now driving a 200 while they continue to diagnose the Jeep.
I'll post an update when I know more.

So wish I'd waited for the 2016's.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
My paper work said : TEST AND FOUND ESIM VALVE. STUCK WON'T CLOSE THE SWITCH. REPLACED ESIM (EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEAK DECECTOR) CODE P0440 GENERAL EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM FAILURE

My car has been fine since then.
That diagnostic makes sense. The ESIM acts a vent in the case of a large pressure differential. THe vent is mechanical with a switch to register it to the ECU. so either bum switch or bum mechanical bits would trigger as a leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, a new issue has developed... I turned my AC on today and had it set to 72 degrees but it was blowing out warm air. My AC button was definitely on. I couldn't get it to get cold until I dropped the temp to 65. I messed with it a bit and noticed this was happening when the temp controls were not 'in sync'. The passage side seemed to be working, but the driver side was not. The temperature settings are definitely out of wack bc I had it at 60, the lowest it could go. So back to the dealership it goes. 2 times in 2 weeks, I'm pretty bummed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I continue to drive the Chrysler 200...

According to the dealer, the service dept. spent yesterday (4/23) going back and forth with the Chrysler engineers... all to no avail.
No one seems to know what is causing the check engine light to continually stay on.
Praise God for the Lemon Law in my state, I kinda hope it comes to getting a refund at this point.

P.S. That just sucks Veronica.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.