Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a check engine yellow warning for start stop malfunction. Taking it to dealer on Friday but does any one know if it’s going to take time so I can request curtesy car. I got it from Arnold Clark’s and they asked me to drop off the car in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
3,695 Posts
Yes it should take as long as it takes.
P.S. my crystall ball is off line today.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like battery problem.first sign is stop-start problems, you should ask them about a loner car when you phone as most dealers seam to loth to give us loners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Will hear what they have to say. I hope they don’t make me pay for the battery (just got the car from them a month ago) so should be covered under some sort of a warrant I guess.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Binyam, it took Arnold Clark 2 batteries to reproduce the fault when I first got my Renegade 2.0 diesel 4x4.

The car was recovered from the driveway and wouldn't even start with a jump-start.

They kept it overnight and next morning their alleged brand new battery was also flat. Upon replacing the battery but this time with a larger Amperage and updating the electrics it has worked well now for :unsure: maybe 2 years.

On very cold mornings (Let the USA laugh) around 0 degrees I have found one or 2 of the warnings that you guys are reporting. I have did nothing to the car:
  • No trickle charging the battery
  • No recharging the battery
  • No visits to the dealers
  • In reality I have did nothing.
My self diagnosed vehicle fault is rather easy to understand without all the technical input that can abound and confuse. Simply put I am lucky if I travel 1 mile a day to the beer shop and that is not enough time for the battery to recharge the drain on it. I run the car with head lights, radio, heaters, sat nav, wipers so it is not rocket science for me to know that I am draining the battery.

However as I am frequently visiting my caravan, even in Winter, the car then gets an almost weekly full recharge of around 200 miles and that's more than enough to fully recharge my battery.

Take your car onto the motorway for 1/2 hour and sit around 60mph to get an excellent recharge but more importantly, if like me you don't drive much and have a diesel then the "Diesel Particulate Filter" is getting clogged up with carbon and the "Cat" is not hot enough to burn it all off. Time spent on this saves £££s on a new catalytic convertor and a new battery.

A small portable Volt meter can be bought for around £10. Switch it on and press the red (positive) rod to the red battery (positive) connection and the same with the black. get a reading of 12.6v and you are good to go.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you cannot do the same as the Dealer. Save a lot of money and try it yourself. Refitting a battery is really easy if you need to go down that road. Its only a case of unscrewing 2 bolts.

Phewww :D(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2019 TH has been in the shop for 10 days for this issue. They said it was a bad latch causing the issue. They replaced the hood latch, no dice. Then they said it was the Body control module, they changed that, then they were receiving more error codes and now a check engine light. That was last Friday. With a holiday on Monday of this week, had to wait till Tuesday for them to contact Chrysler. They suggested trying another BCM. That's what they were supposed to do yesterday. The service manager has been great but said he was not optimistic that this would fix the problem...thats reassuring, right?!! I will post update when I have one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah..
My 2019 TH has been in the shop for 10 days for this issue. They said it was a bad latch causing the issue. They replaced the hood latch, no dice. Then they said it was the Body control module, they changed that, then they were receiving more error codes and now a check engine light. That was last Friday. With a holiday on Monday of this week, had to wait till Tuesday for them to contact Chrysler. They suggested trying another BCM. That's what they were supposed to do yesterday. The service manager has been great but said he was not optimistic that this would fix the problem...thats reassuring, right?!! I will post update when I have one.
that can be frustrating. Do keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from the dealer as well. Seems they need to take it to another Jeep dealer but told me to drive it till my appointment. A bit worried there as I have a 100mile trip on Sunday (mostly motorway). Will be sending my car off on the 8th of feb and will get a replacement car till the job is done. From the looks of it I think it’s going to take some time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, today is day 21 still in the shop. The issue has been forwarded to senior/2nd level engineering at Chrysler. Seems that the light still being on is a computer not knowing what's up. Everything is functioning but the computer still reads a door latch not closed.
Not sure how much longer this is going to take but I feel for the dealership too, it sounds like it sucks for them as well as myself. They have given me a renegade to drive now so at least I'm almost driving what I purchased.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow that’s
So, today is day 21 still in the shop. The issue has been forwarded to senior/2nd level engineering at Chrysler. Seems that the light still being on is a computer not knowing what's up. Everything is functioning but the computer still reads a door latch not closed.
Not sure how much longer this is going to take but I feel for the dealership too, it sounds like it sucks for them as well as myself. They have given me a renegade to drive now so at least I'm almost driving what I purchased.
Oh wow that must be stressful. Atleast you got your renegade. Mine is yet to be checked and will know on the 14th feb.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hello Jflauto,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concern and understand your frustration. Please do not hesitate reaching out to our team privately if you need any additional assistance throughout this process. We're happy to assist.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
237 Posts
Been having the same problem with my 19 limited, been to the dealers twice, cant repeat the fault, got it back today awaiting a tec team from Jeep. Seems a common fault somewhere. Fingers crossed for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Jflauto,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concern and understand your frustration. Please do not hesitate reaching out to our team privately if you need any additional assistance throughout this process. We're happy to assist.
Laura
JeepCares
Hi Laura,
This has already been escalated to Jeep Cares and FCA and there is a case number. It's 22 days so far and in 8 more days, according to Washington state law, it's a lemon. So hopefully they get it figured out. I don't want it to go that way because I love that vehicle but it is what it is.
Thanks for the response.
Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Laura,
This has already been escalated to Jeep Cares and FCA and there is a case number. It's 22 days so far and in 8 more days, according to Washington state law, it's a lemon. So hopefully they get it figured out. I don't want it to go that way because I love that vehicle but it is what it is.
Thanks for the response.
Jeff
Hope it gets fixed...but atleast it’s good that Jeep is taking time to see the problem through rather than looking for a quick fix which usually get car owners major headache. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Laura.
I agree, it appears to me that they are trying everything they can to figure it out.
It's been escalated again to senior engineering. I feel bad for my service guy at the dealership.
Hope it ends soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: my renegade has been fixed now. I’m waiting to collect the car but I have been informed that the vacuum from exhaust needed replacement. Now the car has no check engine light.
Will check it once I collect and post update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts