Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 20 year old college student in the market for a new car and having trouble deciding between the 3. The Cherokee drives the best but I'm worried it looks most like a mom car. The renegade is new and geared for a younger crowd but it resembles a Honda soul to me, and finally the patriot I love the jeep look of it but it has the worst drive. Any opinions or experiences you have that could sway me in one way or the other would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is the latitude worth the extra cash over the sport? Don't really see much difference

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . Also, is the latitude worth the extra cash over the sport? Don't really see much difference
I would be to me. The base Sport is a lot less expensive, but once you add things like air conditioning and some other niceties, the price approaches the Lattitude. And the base doesn't come with the roof rails or dark-tinted rear glass.

If those things aren't on your list of wants, the Sport might be the ride for you.

For me, I would go to the dealer and find a Lattitude optioned the way you like and work out a deal. I'd bet they are willing to discount.

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mostly what I'm seeing is the Sport needs gobs of money to get the options you want. If you can really do without practically everything (including AC) it works. It's a bit of a shame they don't offer it with crank windows. I have a Trailhawk. This is a real expensive little compact 4x4, but compare it to a Subaru and it looks better. It's super comfortable in any trim and can handle pretty much whatever you'll throw at it. I like to think of it as a newer version of the tiny 4x4 style that seemed to die out with the Suzuki Sidekick and the 1st gen Toyota Rav4 and KIA Sportage. It's unfortunate that Renegade doesn't come in a ragtop version, but this is the most fun utility vehicle I've ever owned. Are you sure you don't really want a Wrangler Sport? It's cheap and tough and looks very cool. I'd think about it, but my wife doesn't like climbing into vehicles.

My only real gripe about the Cherokee is those A pillars I need to duck under when I get in the car. It's also kind of expensive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
evanmacie94 also posted his question on the Cherokee forum, which I also subscribed to. I'm in the same boat minus the Patriot. My wife and I are looking at the Cherokee and Renegade for a commuter (we carpool together). The only requirements is AWD and automatic transmission, the rest is negotiable. We will be driving 100 miles each day. Which AWD version is better for fuel mileage? It seems that the mileage is very similar between the Cherokee and Renegade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It really comes down to cost vs features.

A Renegade will have a lot more features than a comparatively priced Cherokee. A Patriot does not have a lot of features / options that are available to the Renegade / Cherokee.

My preference is the Renegade over a similarly priced Cherokee.

Reactions: rambo

·
Registered
194 Posts
That amount of value between the two, Renegade and Cherokee, probably helps Jeep to funnel more people to the Renegade, good for a new product... that is of course for those that don't have real urging needs to get the Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
This should put to rest any comparison between the Jeep Renegade and the KIA Soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_EB37AHfVQ

They kind of do though. I don't think there is much risk of Kia stealing the fwd renegade customers. Mostly because I don't think there will be a lot of those. However, the soul ships huge numbers in the b segment to the point of dwarfing everyone else. Anyone entering the segment has to concern themselves with taking a slice out of that pie. That includes jeep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like to think of it as a newer version of the tiny 4x4 style that seemed to die out with the Suzuki Sidekick and the 1st gen Toyota Rav4 and KIA Sportage.

I made the same statement over the weekend as well, but I threw the Samurai in there. I'd love to see an updated Samurai here in the states...regardless of who made it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Unless you have some good financial backing wait to you have a job after graduation before buying a new car. The market is still tough out here.

That being said I like the Renegade better than the Cherokee. The Cherokee is bigger but inside the room is not any more usable than the Renegade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honestly I agree with you on the mom car thing. It takes some added money to get the Cherokee looking right, the back is mom-ish. The patriot is being discontinued and replaced with the renegade, so if you want to buy brand new, it might be less gratifying that they don't make your new car anymore. You will be right around the same price to get a latitude as you would adding options to your sport, plus you'd get the larger rims. I think the stock steelies make the Rene look too heavy.
P.s. - Kia Soul. Kia.
Much luck!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I like the way the Cherokee drives but I could not get happy with the front and I really tried. It reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec which was a regrettable vehicle that GM had. The Renegade had the looks and features that I wanted and drove like a small truck which I liked.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was considering a Patriot, but then they announced the coming of the Renegade. So I waited to see what the Renegade was going to bring to the table. The Renegade has more options, more power in the engines, and better looks for the money. And now that I hear the Patriot is being phased out in 2 years, I'm glad I'm going with the Renegade.

As for the Cherokee... More money for less. And yeah, it looks like every other mom's modern station-wagon/SUV. It has its place and use and if that is what you think you need, that is one thing... but generally, for a 20yo, nah... Go with something more hip.

The Kia Soul is the slow street version of the Renegade. It just isn't quite as good, nice, or as well in all the areas. It's underpowered. It's very "boxy" and I see it and think it came from an old style milk/ice cream truck. Plus, it's 2WD only. The Renegade 4x4 (even Sport and Latitudes) are mostly AWD and get great gas mileage versus other 4WDs.

As for Renegade Sport vs Latitude... as others has stated, you get more for your money with the Latitude. But if you don't need al that is offered on a base Latitude, then get the Sport and add in what you do need... That's why Jeep has that version.

Good luck and let us know what you get! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.