Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Jeep as of maybe 1 1/2 months ago. I went to start my car at work and all of these lights went on Service ABS, service Transmission, service Hill start assist, service 4WD, service steering torque…. I drive to the closest dealership and leave the car for them to look at. They call and tell me that wires were eaten by rodents and it’s going to cost 1,000 just to splice wires back together because of all of the parts they need to drain and move. Oh and it’s not covered under the warranty at all. I have heard of people leaving a Jeep sitting for a while and aren’t driving it, or they park in a barn, or in the winter when animals are trying to find warmth they nest in the engine of cars are not driven. But it’s summer I’ve barley owned the car, I drive it every day a lot. I park in a garage. I have bird seed and dog food in my garage that is untouched and not in special containers. These mice, rats, chipmunks choose to skip the seed, suet and dog food to chew my wires. How long did this Jeep sit on the lot at the dealership? How is this not covered under any warranty? How do I know the wire wasn’t hanging on by a thread and it just snapped now? I’m so upset that I have just over 2000 miles one this car and this is what happens. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like there should be some sort of warranty.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
367 Posts
I have a new Jeep as of maybe 1 1/2 months ago. I went to start my car at work and all of these lights went on Service ABS, service Transmission, service Hill start assist, service 4WD, service steering torque…. I drive to the closest dealership and leave the car for them to look at. They call and tell me that wires were eaten by rodents and it’s going to cost 1,000 just to splice wires back together because of all of the parts they need to drain and move. Oh and it’s not covered under the warranty at all. I have heard of people leaving a Jeep sitting for a while and aren’t driving it, or they park in a barn, or in the winter when animals are trying to find warmth they nest in the engine of cars are not driven. But it’s summer I’ve barley owned the car, I drive it every day a lot. I park in a garage. I have bird seed and dog food in my garage that is untouched and not in special containers. These mice, rats, chipmunks choose to skip the seed, suet and dog food to chew my wires. How long did this Jeep sit on the lot at the dealership? How is this not covered under any warranty? How do I know the wire wasn’t hanging on by a thread and it just snapped now? I’m so upset that I have just over 2000 miles one this car and this is what happens. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like there should be some sort of warranty.
i wanted a certain trailhawk and it was found i Elmira NY, i live on the coast in NJ. mine came with nesting mice that ate through my vapor line. car insurance paid the $1895.00 it cost to replace the line
Your insurance company should pay the bill. make sure the car dealer gives a detailed work order

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
It's a fairly common problem in Europe. Martens are notorious for it in Germany. They love fanbelts apparently. You can even find ultrasonic units to install in the engine bay as a deterrent.

Neighbour nearly totalled his Audi softop when a hedgehog set up home in the engine bay. Luckily just a new starter motor and aux belts etc. And a steam clean.

·
Super Moderator
4,236 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

I don't know why you would think a dealer would cover your little Jeep for rodent problems.
Like said above check with your insurance and see if they will cover it if not see if your home owners will.
Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
last year I was changing oil on my 2018 2.4L, I spilled some oil so I took cover off to clean it up, when I did all the spark plug holes were filled with acorns.
Got it all cleaned up and left the plastic engine cover off, haven't seen any signs of rodents since...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Kia Optima before I got my Renegade. Same thing happened to mine except a lot less damage. My cost was around $150 and was confined to the cable that connects to the battery. My car was parked on my carport (not enclosed) and I suspect squirrels did the damage as they are gnawing holes in the cedar siding on my house too. Way back in 1986 I bought a brand new S10 pickup which caught fire within the dash. It turned out to be where a metal fastener was wrapped around the wiring harness which shorted things and melted all the wires in the harness together. The wire going to the cigarette lighter caused the initial problem. I never even used the cigarette lighter. It was going to cost over $800 to repair in 1986. I spent one Saturday maticulously seperating the wires and replacing the burned section, wire by wire, until I got it repaired myself. My insurance (full coverage) wouldn't cover nor would the factory warranty. I was so mad. I'm still mad about that one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my renegade new, had it for probably a little over a year when my airbag light came on. Took it to the dealership to have it looked at and it turned out that a wire under the driver's seat looked like it had been chewed through. I drive this car every day, there is no way that an animal could be living on the inside of my vehicle without my knowledge. I have to wonder if they use cheap wires or maybe they just make them too short and they get pulled. By they way, I am the only one that drives my jeep so the seat NEVER gets moved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts