Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know I post videos on Youtube showing people what the Renegade can do on the trail. One issue I ran into was the battery life of the camera. I mainly mount it on the windshield and was trying to figure out how I could run a wire and charge it on the go. I can usually get 2-4 hours out of the extended battery pack.

I purchased a marine 12v cigarette lighter socket. I got a marine one because it is waterproof and I'm mounting it in the engine bay. There is a perfect little shelving area I can mount it up and out of the way of water/mud. Check it out below.

The cover comes off the positive side of the battery. Both positive and negative sides have convenient places to bolt down the connections.

I screwed down the cigarette socket and used white silicone for extra waterproofing. White was what I had laying around or I would've had to go out and buy clear or black.

I plug the charger in and run the wire up to the GoPro camera on the center top of the windshield. I plan to use some sticky cable tie pads to help guide the wire around the outside of the windshield, so that I don't get a wire running in front of my driving view.

I can get the wire out of the way of the wiper blades, but it doesn't matter because the camera is mounted in the path of the wiper blades anyways. So if I need to use the wiper blades, I will need to pull the camera off first. I can always mount the camera up on the roof rack as well.

I thought I had a inline fuse sitting around as well. But I couldn't find it. So I need to get one to run on the positive side of the socket. Just extra measure if water does get into the socket and causes a short in the circuit. Instead of running power from the battery, I can also located power from somewhere else that requires the car to be "on" first. That way I won't accidently drain the battery. The new charging location can also run other accessories like a tire pump or flash/spot lights.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spent a couple of hours on the trail in Coyote Canyon. The GoPro lasted all day vs the 2-3 hours I was getting with the extended battery. I got 2+ hours of 1080 video on my 32gb memory card. I had a spare in case that one filled up, but I didn't need it. This mod helped out a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.