Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:

I've had my Renegade for an entire week now and need clarification on a feature.

Long story short, the windshield was cracked on the dealer lot before i even test drove the vehicle. They offered to fix it for free, but they need to order a windshield with the "rain sensor" on it?

Does this sound right? What does it do?

I checked the manual and quickly searched the internet, but must not be looking in the right place.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a rain sensor on a GMC before - it detects when rain hits the windshield and automatically activates the wipers.

As far as I know, the Jeep Renegade does not have this feature, so I'm not sure what rain sensor he's referring to. Are you outside of the North American market? Maybe it's a Euro thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
North American market. Right in New Jersey. I had read something about the Euro rain sensor. The only hint i can gather is some sort of sensor eye poking out the front of the box that is behind the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
499 Posts
North American market. Right in New Jersey. I had read something about the Euro rain sensor. The only hint i can gather is some sort of sensor eye poking out the front of the box that is behind the rear view mirror.
Oh that would be the lane departure optics then. That doesn't appear to be connected to the windshield glass though.

I did a bit of research and it does appear that other markets out of North America have a rain sensor on the glass, so I hope your dealer isn't waiting on that, or you'll never get it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I confirm the Euro version has the rain sensor on the windshield – and the auto wipers (in the "visibility pack"). I wonder why you need a sensor-equipped windshield when you don't have the feature in the US market...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I too have a sensor in same location; looks like a rain sensor. Kind of odd that Europe Renegades get this option and US market does not. It seems like might have installed rain sensor on all models and then activate it for Euro and de-activate for US, etc. This sensor looks identical to my 14 Jeep Cherokee which has the rain sense feature. Cherokee also has optical camera next to rain sensor for the FCW and Lane Sense feature. Check out attached pic; you have to look closely to see it (sorry for grainy pic) The windshield has that black coating in area where rear-view mirror would be and there is a small opening to allow for sensor to have clear view.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you sure it's a rain sensor and not an auto headlights sensor? I don't have mine yet but asking from previous experience from other vehicles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello Beerwolf70. Hmmm, not sure. Yes, I do have the auto headlight feature. What is the small round dome thing on front/center part of dash?? I always thought that was the headlight sensor and LED light for alarm. My Cherokee also has the auto dim feature for headlights and that sensor is located on the back of the rear-view mirror. My 12 ford focus also had auto rain sense wipers and it too had that same looking sensor mounted by rear-view mirror. I am now starting to scratch my head on what this sensor is actually for?????

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
The Cherokee has that rain sensor and it can be enabled on or off via the UConnect system. (Controls, Settings, Safety and Driving Assistance, Rain Sensing Auto Wipers) Does it appear in the Renegades UConnect system. If it does then yes the Renegade has it, if not then the dealer/service person needs to be educated.

TS

·
Registered
216 Posts
There is a sensor mounted above rear-view mirror hidden in that box unit. You can see it from outside when you look at front of windshield. I swear that sensor looks just like a rain sensor in my jeep cherokee and my former ford focus that both have auto rain wipers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There is a sensor mounted above rear-view mirror hidden in that box unit. You can see it from outside when you look at front of windshield. I swear that sensor looks just like a rain sensor in my jeep cherokee and my former ford focus that both have auto rain wipers.

That is the optics sensor for front collision and lane crossing warning

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rain sensor option would explain it. Perhaps they're planning for the future? The daylight sensor is definitely the small dome on the dash and there's no settings anywhere in the menu.

I should be going in within the week for the new windshield, so I will definitely be asking for clarification.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Posting pic of my renegade's top center portion of windshield with sensor visible and pic of my cherokee's windshield with both camera and sensor. My cherokee has the adaptive cruise, lane sense, FCW, auto rain wipers, auto-dim high beams, etc. Auto high beams are controlled by sensor mounted on back side of rear-view mirror. The camera is part of the lane sense and FCW. The other sensor next to camera has to be auto rain sensor and radar sensor in front bumper controls the adaptive cruise control. So weird to install sensor on Renegade and its not used for anything????

·
Registered
499 Posts
Could someone with a Euro model post a pic of their windshield that shows the rain sensor? I'm curious if Bowden's on to something here - perhaps they *all* include the sensor, but the North American models just aren't using it? If so, I wonder how much work it would be to make it functional.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife has the rain sensor on her Mazda 3, she used it when the car was new but shut it off permanently after a few weeks. With a film of road grease on the windshield and a few drops of rain hit the sensor the wipers start, it's instant panic as you get a major smear and can see where you are going. If it happens at night on a dark road it's 10 times more scary. This happens very fast without warning. Also in a car wash the wipers start up and we had one ripped off by the bushes.

I think that auto wipers are dangerous.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.