Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Jeep Renegade

Yet another example of the issue here. 33k miles, just got the car 5 months ago and sure enough the oil pressure warning came up. I checked the dipstick and it was dry. Hadn't been 2 months since last oil change. I had to fill 4 qts of oil. When I took it to the dealership, they only said to keep measuring and bring it back in 1000 miles. I am encouraged to see that I am not alone in this issue, and since the car still has 3000 miles under warranty I don't want to make any mistakes if this is something that can be fixed under warranty.
PSOtis, I am in the same situation. I have a 15 Renegade that I bought last November and currently have 33k miles. Most of my driving is highway miles and I have had the oil changed twice since I bought the jeep. The mileage when I bought it was just over 17k.
The other day I almost missed my turn so I hit the brakes and turned and saw the low oil warning flash on the dash. I checked the oil when I got home and found that it was almost empty! I will have to try to find out if I still have warranty left on the power train or not, but I will be checking the oil VERY often from now on. Thankfully I have not had the vehicle shutdown while in traffic.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The 2015 Renegade power train warranty is 5 years, 100k miles. There is a class action lawsuit that increases it to 6 years but leaves the mileage at 100k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a nut shell:
2016 Latitude Renegade
13000 miles All four rotors warped, all brakes shot.
30,000 oil consumption a quart every 400 miles.
New engine, picked car up drove less than a mile car died in the middle of the highway, get it going and pull off the highway, service that I just left comes and gets it. Engine light on. Now I need a new transmission....... in reality I don’t want it back 😞 I will never trust it again . I have a conscious, how do I sell this junk to another person .
In a perfect world Jeep would buy the thing back.....it’s not a perfect world 😞

·
Registered
3 Posts
So glad I'm not alone with this oil consumption issue! 2016 Renegade Limited died while driving and wouldn't re-start. Warning light says to shift vehicle to park, WHILE IT'S BEING DRIVEN! Then it dies. Dealership said they couldn't duplicate the issue so I just need to pick the car up. I reported it to NHTSA and called Jeep directly. They told me not to pick the car up from dealership until they talk to them. I'm in the middle of the 1,000 mile oil consumption test now. Car will go back this week. My daughter drives this car to school 2.5 hours away, so until we get this issue resolved, I have the Renegade while she has my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to my post above, took the car back to the dealership for phase 2 of the oil consumption test. They put a dye in the oil at phase 1 and I had to drive 1,000 miles and bring it back to be tested. Well yesterday it failed the test and I'm getting a new engine. Hope this solves the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2018 2.4 (24k miles) just did this this this morning. Wife was driving, engine stalled and told her to shift into park and to try restarting. She did that and it took a little bit before it turned over, and the oil pressure warning popped up. I'm waiting for her to get it back home so I can check the oil.

I bought a brand new Jeep in hopes I wouldn't have these issues. Hopefully Fiat does right by this, otherwise I'm officially done with Mopar after 24 years (K-car, 4 Neons, a Patriot and a Dart).

UPDATE: dipstick is almost dry, aside from the very tip. Oil was changed a few months back at the dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem with my 2018 Jeep Renegade with the 2.4 engine. Burns oil fast. I check more often now and seems like one day it’s only a little low and then bang really really low! Took to the dealership before my first oil change, was told that it was a seal and they fixed. Didn’t fix anything, still burning oil fast. Also not getting the gas mileage I was supposed to be getting to “save some money” while I have this giant car payment. I also have an issue sometimes putting gas in the Jeep, it doesn’t want to let me put gas in sometimes, have to pump really slow even though I am waiting the ten seconds before and after like it shows on the picture by the gas tank. I’m at about 12,000 miles now and about to take in for my second oil change, and I’ll see what they say about the problem this time. No one said anything to me about the having to put oil in the car all the time like this. That’s a cost I would like to know about upfront. I’ve always had used vehicles before this one, real old one too and never had to put oil in like this unless there was a bad leak. I don’t know how comfortable I feel about a new engine if that is the fix they are giving either. How would that effect the car? Would putting in a new engine cause other issues? Just wondering, cause I really don’t know. I just know that if I bought anything else new and then it broke right away, I wouldn’t want a repaired, refurbished item that I paid full price for 🤷‍♀️.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did they say how much oil it had used in that 1k miles?
Picked the car up today after the dealer had it for a week to replace the engine. The paperwork says it was 3 qts low after doing the 1,000 mile oil consumption test. So far, so good with the new engine, but we'll see once we put another 1,000 miles on it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade, since 2/2018 I have had to bring to the dealership multiple times because the car stops. Kept telling them I have to put 2-3 quarts of oil between oil changes but they never did anything about it. I just took it in on 11/9/19 to find out that my engine is supposedly shot and I need a new engine. Called Mopar and they said the dealership never did the oil consumption test even though they lied and said they did. I now have filed a complaint with the CA District Attorney office, Bureau of Automotive Repairs because for 2 years I have asked to get the car fixed and the dealership just brushed it off knowing that this car has a history of bad oil consumption. So frustrating, you spend a ton of money on a car to be screwed after you drive off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 Renegade has been having stalling issues as well... along with transmission issues. I have about 34,500 total miles on it and I was about 6,500 miles from the last oil change... I took my car immediately to service since it's still under warranty. The transmission was discovered to be faulty and it was replaced.

When I received the vehicle back, it stalled again the next morning. I checked the oil and it was surprisingly low... which means that the car was in service with reported stalling issues, kept for 2.5 weeks, and no no one there pulled the dipstick.

I filled it up with 0w20 and took it back to service. Since it was due anyway, I told the dealership to diagnose and solve the problem, then perform the oil-change so that there is NO way that they can blame my mechanic shop if oil continues to deplete at an unacceptable level.

So far, I have been told that service discovered "a leak in the exhaust" and the manifold is being replaced. As far as the stalling, they are currently blaming the low oil-level... which makes sense, but the question remains "Why did the oil level get so low"?

Once I get it back, I will drive the vehicle and check the oil level regularly... if the level drops, it will go back to service.
And iif you have any more tranny problems, and they keep repeatedly having you bring back to service contact attorney generals office . The lemon law will protect you from this runaround . Read your states lemon laws ... you'll be glad you did . or look up lemon law attorneys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.
12/5/2018 this happened to me! It was so scary. When my auto mechanic checked my oil he said there was none! I recently had a oil change there was no indication that I needed an oil change. This is not okay and was very dangerous my car just stopped out of nowhere no signs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please Report this to the NHTSA

I have had the same exact issue with my 2018 Jeep Renegade Limited. It comes down to safety. New cars stalling while driving without any warning is a definite problem. Being bone dry on oil every couple thousand miles and no safety indicators equals a very unsafe/unreliable car. I have read so many carbon copies of the same exact problem. My car stalled in traffic while turning on several occasions beginning at 2,300 miles. Filled it with oil and it began stalling again at 5,500. No warnings, no indicators.

I've contacted the NHTSA and I encourage you to do the same. I filled out the online form at

www -odi.nhtsa. dot.gov/ VehicleComplaint/ (take out spaces, I couldn't post link)

Report the problem... it only takes a few minutes. I was very surprised that after I received the typical form letter response that an NHTSA agent contacted me personally and is actively taking an interest in what is going on and how the dealer is responding. I have received many emails from them wanting updates to see how it is being handled.

If enough people contact the NHTSA regarding this specific issue it could lead to change. Please take a moment to go the link above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2018 Renegade. They keep telling me to get an oil change and it will fix. It works for maybe 1000-2000 miles into my oil change and the same problem happens. They car stalls out without warning. It happened the other day in a high traffic area and I came within inches of getting hit. I don’t feel safe at all in this car but if I trade it in I will take a huge loss. The dealer I bought the Jeep at is no help and neither is Jeep themselves. It seams like a common problem for a lot of people. Something should be able to be done. Obviously there is a problem somewhere

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2018 Renegade. They keep telling me to get an oil change and it will fix. It works for maybe 1000-2000 miles into my oil change and the same problem happens. They car stalls out without warning. It happened the other day in a high traffic area and I came within inches of getting hit. I don’t feel safe at all in this car but if I trade it in I will take a huge loss. The dealer I bought the Jeep at is no help and neither is Jeep themselves. It seams like a common problem for a lot of people. Something should be able to be done. Obviously there is a problem somewhere
I had an issue with my 2016 Trailhawk dying (figuratively) on me when i came to a stop, without stopping completely, and then trying to take off. Usually when I was trying to pull into traffic. The Renegade would not respond to the gas pedal, complete loss of power which caused me to coast into traffic. ... not a good feeling. The Jeep wouldn't die, but it wouldn't do anything.

There was a software update for the Transmission that corrected my issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 Renegade is getting a new engine (2.4L) at this time. Burned about 1 quart every 7-800 miles since day one (new with 8 miles on it). Took into dealer regularly to be topped off. FCA wouldn't authorize repairs until 7500 miles - At 7500 miles and has been in shop now for around a total of 40 days in the first 7 1/2 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Post a complaint on NHTSA website
www -odi.nhtsa. dot.gov/ VehicleComplaint/ (take out spaces, I couldn't post link)

Someone else posted this but i think if enough people report the issue maybe something will be done.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts