Jeep Renegade Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an update to my tale of woe.

We took it in this morning for the follow up of the consumption test (only asked us to drive 500 miles).

They checked it and said it only lost a little bit of oil and there was nothing wrong, like burning a noticeable, albeit small amount of oil in a few hundred miles is acceptable. And then kept emphasizing that we need to change the oil every 3k miles, almost implying that the oil running out was our fault (!!).

This dealership has done all of the service work thus far, and the two issues I've had have been dismissed has non-issues. I'm guessing it's time to find a new dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an update to my tale of woe.

We took it in this morning for the follow up of the consumption test (only asked us to drive 500 miles).

They checked it and said it only lost a little bit of oil and there was nothing wrong, like burning a noticeable, albeit small amount of oil in a few hundred miles is acceptable. And then kept emphasizing that we need to change the oil every 3k miles, almost implying that the oil running out was our fault (!!).

This dealership has done all of the service work thus far, and the two issues I've had have been dismissed has non-issues. I'm guessing it's time to find a new dealership.
I have had my 2017 jeep renegade at 2 different dealerships for them both to tell me the same thing. by the time i get it into the shop after doing the same thing you are saying, they tell me nothing is wrong. Let's do yet another oil consumption test that they are going to tell me that it is consuming the correct amount of oil for this particular jeep engine. The dealership told me yesterday that because the 2.4 engine was made to use 0W 20 oil, it is very thin and uses more. They want me to come in for another oil consumption test and have it checked every 1000 miles for the 5000 miles. That means i have to find the time to get to the dealership 5 times to get this done. Just so they have documentation in case something happens to the motor it is documented. Otherwise, I need to check my oil every time i fill up the gas tank and add oil when necessary. So much for having a new vehicle that i shouldn't have to worry about. And i can't figure out who else to talk to or where to go or what to do next. This is not "normal" as the dealerships are saying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my 2017 jeep renegade at 2 different dealerships for them both to tell me the same thing. by the time i get it into the shop after doing the same thing you are saying, they tell me nothing is wrong. Let's do yet another oil consumption test that they are going to tell me that it is consuming the correct amount of oil for this particular jeep engine. The dealership told me yesterday that because the 2.4 engine was made to use 0W 20 oil, it is very thin and uses more. They want me to come in for another oil consumption test and have it checked every 1000 miles for the 5000 miles. That means i have to find the time to get to the dealership 5 times to get this done. Just so they have documentation in case something happens to the motor it is documented. Otherwise, I need to check my oil every time i fill up the gas tank and add oil when necessary. So much for having a new vehicle that i shouldn't have to worry about. And i can't figure out who else to talk to or where to go or what to do next. This is not "normal" as the dealerships are saying.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I just checked the paperwork they gave my wife after the appointment and according to what's shown, 1qt every 2000 miles is normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 jeep renegade and I have had the same issue with the oil, each oil change show low or no oil. while having my jeep serviced we did an oil comsumtion test. which they now say I need a new engine. this is at 54800 miles. it is now being fixed. This is covered by my warranty Thank God because my warranty will would run out at 60,000 miles. So get this done. My problem started with check engine related to the coolant which was fixed but a week later the check engine came on again. with the dash light coming on at different times. I also put a new battery in it. The dash light never did come on when the oil was low.or the battery. I am upset to have so much problem with this car. I got a new car to not have these issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a pre-owned 2015 Renegade at 17k miles a year ago . Now it's at 34k miles and I have seen it go through oil like crazy. On my last visit at the dealership I brought a pinging noise to their attention as well as the high oil consumption. They said it might need a new engine so lets run a 2000miles consumption test. 100 miles before the 2k were up , i checked the dipstick myself and it was down to the last 2 xx marks. When I brought the car in (unfortunately I didn't stand around to "witness" them) I told them that the oil is very low. They put me in a rental for the day and said they would take care of it. Later the said that the oil level is fine and only went through 3/4 of a quart and that Chrysler now considers the case closed. They could easily just added oil, and gaslight me as I have no way to prove it , except a picture of the dipstick I took when I checked. From what I read here this is not uncommon which is preposterous, as there should definitely be a class action against jeep at this point. The dealership won't do anything about the consumption (or the pinging noise for that matter) so I am totally screwed. Any thoughts on options?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2017, 2.4, 62K miles now. I go thru fairly close to a complete oil change adding oil, between actual oil changes. When the "oil change time" light/reminder comes on, I don't get in a big hurry because it is already getting a constant "feed" of oil so it should be fairly clean still. These cars should have a visible oil tank on them to keep full like the radiator does. It would make it a lot easier. I just started using "high mileage" oil in hopes that will slow it down, but I don't know the results. Make sure you are checking the oil like that manual says, 5 minutes after you shut off the engine (after has warmed up of course). It will make a difference on the dip stick!
It is odd though. It used to be if your car was using oil, it was a bad thing. But now, according to Chrysler, as long as it is using no more than 1 quart per 2000 miles, it is normal.
I really like the Renegade, but the engine is really quirky and so fragile it seems. This is my first Chrysler product, and now I know why they have a reputation of a lower quality product than some others. It doesn't help that Chrysler was bought out by even lower quality car makers. When that happens, it seems instead of the better product improving the worse product, the worse product drags the better one down. Like Renault buying Nissan. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.
This just happened to my 2016 Jeep renegade. Exact same situation with 80000 miles on it. I’m still 400 miles from my next oil change still smh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.
I had the same issue with my 2018 renegade trail hawk to the point the dealer put in a new engine at 40,000 miles. today one week after the new engine was installed my oil light came on. I purchased a new car with the thought I wouldnt have any vehicle issues for a couple of years, boy was I wrong.. looks like these rengades are pieces of crap....I would very much like a full refund on my purchase so I can buy a real jeep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, with all the vehicle I've owned, I have never had to check the oil very often (and never 5 minutes after shutting off - always cold A.K.A. Normal Method).
A good practice I have found with the Renegade to always make sure you check the oil often enough is check it after ever bowel movement. (I think that may be in the manual somewhere.) Or may be this picture: Modern Chrysler Engines = 💩

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, with all the vehicle I've owned, I have never had to check the oil very often (and never 5 minutes after shutting off - always cold A.K.A. Normal Method).
A good practice I have found with the Renegade to always make sure you check the oil often enough is check it after ever bowel movement. (I think that may be in the manual somewhere.) Or may be this picture: Modern Chrysler Engines = 💩

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve burned through 3quarts in 6000 miles, the last quart in less than 1000. Not a drop has reached the parking lot at my complex.

I just had an oil change and the dealer will be monitoring the loss. Every time it’s down a quart they’ll notate the mileage, top it off and

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was going they about 1 quart every 1200 miles bought the Jeep in August brand new 2.4 dealer did a oil consumption test and ended up putting a brand new engine in it dealer was great no problems with them and I love my Jeep I just don’t like worrying that I might have a lemon kinda disappointed in Jeep corporate they should give me a extended warranty or something just saying

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've become OCD about checking my oil. But I did notice something humorous in the TV Jeep ads...They highlight the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and now Gladiator in all the action/beauty shots. The Renegade gets a 1-2 second obligatory "oh, and this one" blip. In the full line shot, the Renegade is far off to the side; the black sheep of the family, the drunken Uncle no one speaks of. Even JEEP is ashamed of this vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  1. I am having the same issues
  2. Had oil change end of October, oil change light came on first week of December. Car is also cutting off on me.
  3. What can we do. Thisnos not an isolates problem.
  4. Meineke will start making note every two weeks. The car is slightly over 46,000 miles
  5. This needs to be a recall...

·
Registered
460 Posts
  1. I am having the same issues
  2. Had oil change end of October, oil change light came on first week of December. Car is also cutting off on me.
  3. What can we do. Thisnos not an isolates problem.
  4. Meineke will start making note every two weeks. The car is slightly over 46,000 miles
  5. This needs to be a recall...
Recall ? It'll never happen. Remember, it's in your official owners manual that it's normal for this engine to drink oil, hey, they told you about it, they didn't keep it a secret. But, it's ONLY in your owners manual. Not on posters in the dealers showroom, not in the TV or magazine ads. Salespeople won't let you know. It's a secret only owners of this vehicle are made aware. After the fact.

My 1953 Willys CJ3-A doesn't burn oil. My 2017 Latitude does. Go figure.

Oh yeah, "it's normal". Best to just drink the kool-aid and move on. But first check your oil.

It's been a couple of minutes. Check it again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I just checked the paperwork they gave my wife after the appointment and according to what's shown, 1qt every 2000 miles is normal.

View attachment 2396347723
First off, I'd find a dealership that can spell at a level higher than a 3rd grader.... "coMsumption" ? "fallEs" ? "down A 1/8 of a quart" (why the A in that sentence ?) "Rang" ? (I guess the "e" wasn't necessary, as they used it in "falls"). If they can't complete a correct sentence about your vehicle, I'd question their overall abilities.

Nit-picky on my part ? Certainly. But it's the minor things that show professionalism.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Renegade in December of 2016. Have about 62k miles on it. Just took it to the dealer yesterday and was told I might need a new engine. This appears to be happening quite a bit. He told me they just replaced another Renegade engine last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2017 Trailhawk, bought new in 2018, has 40k miles on.

This just happened to me on my way into work, going 65 on the highway and the engine dies/stalls. 7 times out of 10 I would have been in an accident on this road (speed limit is 60 but people will ride you if you go under 70) and was very lucky. Took 3-4 times to get it restarted and it drove just fine into work. Before, during and after this there was no indicator lights on the dash - nothing. Last oil change was in mid December.

And no, I don't check my oil at every fuel up, nor do a lot of people as I rarely ever see anyone with their hood up at the gas station while they're fueling. I called my nearest Jeep dealership and spoke with a technician, he knew of the issue right away and just said to top it off. Said that these things burn through oil like that and that was that. I'll be topping it off and then getting my oil changed this afternoon. And from now on checking it every month and keeping a spare quart or two in my vehicle.

I also filed a complaint on the NHTSA site that was linked earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yall are not going to believe this...
I have a 2018 with the 2.4 with 4k miles and I am going through the exact same issues as describes above. I Finally got a FCA rep on the phone and this is the excuse she gave me (I am not making this up)
"The reason the engine uses so much oil is that it is designed overseas and they do not drive that much over there. So they do not need to add much oil"
After giving her 18 reasons why this was not a credible argument in the slightest, she was insistent. Now I know this poor girl was just reading the drivel she has been given, but come on man. Come up with a better lie than that

101 - 120 of 125 Posts