Jeep Renegade Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've become OCD about checking my oil. But I did notice something humorous in the TV Jeep ads...They highlight the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and now Gladiator in all the action/beauty shots. The Renegade gets a 1-2 second obligatory "oh, and this one" blip. In the full line shot, the Renegade is far off to the side; the black sheep of the family, the drunken Uncle no one speaks of. Even JEEP is ashamed of this vehicle.
Thankfully I have the 2.0L manual 4x4 diesel Renegade Longtitude and 2 months ago was the first oil/filter change in 15k miles and the dipstick showed almost full :devilish::devilish::devilish:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yall are not going to believe this...
I have a 2018 with the 2.4 with 4k miles and I am going through the exact same issues as describes above. I Finally got a FCA rep on the phone and this is the excuse she gave me (I am not making this up)
"The reason the engine uses so much oil is that it is designed overseas and they do not drive that much over there. So they do not need to add much oil"
After giving her 18 reasons why this was not a credible argument in the slightest, she was insistent. Now I know this poor girl was just reading the drivel she has been given, but come on man. Come up with a better lie than that
That's pretty good. Though the reason I laugh (not at your situation, but the explanation) is that the 1.4l turbo engines are not only designed overseas, they're the run of the mill Fiat engines, made in Italy like the rest of the car. And there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them--my 2015 Lat has nearly 60k miles on it and doesn't burn oil at all. I do wonder if other FCA cars with the 2.4l engine (Darts, Compasses, etc.) have the same tendency for oil burning.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Forgive me for disecting your post:

That's pretty good. is that the 1.4l turbo engines are not only designed overseas, they're the run of the mill Fiat engines, made in Italy like the rest of the car.

And there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them--

my 2015 Lat has nearly 60k miles on it and doesn't burn oil at all.

I do wonder if other FCA cars with the 2.4l engine (Darts, Compasses, etc.) have the same tendency for oil burning.
Without searching all previous posts by using the search function located above your post above I do concur that people are experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.
Found your post as I'm in line to get my oil changed, only 7k miles since the last one. Oil level was barely on tip of dipstick, almost completely gone, mechanic asked if Rene's burn oil...I Googled...found you. 51k miles. Same as you, no leaks, clean driveway. I'll reset oil light and keep my eye on it. Grateful that Valvoline has free top offs. ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2018 renegade trail hawk to the point the dealer put in a new engine at 40,000 miles. today one week after the new engine was installed my oil light came on. I purchased a new car with the thought I wouldnt have any vehicle issues for a couple of years, boy was I wrong.. looks like these rengades are pieces of crap....I would very much like a full refund on my purchase so I can buy a real jeep.
oh no I was just told by the dealership that my engine needs to be replaced because of the oil consumption problem. I was hoping it would be the answer to all of my issues with this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk about 5 months ago in 2019. I check oil when I first drove the vehicle and the oil was fine. Then at about 5500 miles I checked it and it was not even barely on the tip of dip stick. Just a drop. It took basically 2 quarts of oil and then I had the oil changed. Now I am at 12800 and I have added 2 full quarts and am only at the beginning of the top shaded mark. So I could add another half quart. This is ridiculous. I bought a vehicle with 50 miles on it and now I have to worry about the engine running out of oil. And I was not informed about that major maintenance issue. One that's going to cost around $380 more a year. I want in on any action to recoup what is owed. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to have the dealer run the oil consumption test. Sounds like you might qualify to have engine replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.

I have a 2016 Limited I just bought with 40k and having the same problem. I just serviced the vehicle myself and at 2k miles I noticed the change oil light came back on. Guess what? Low by 1.5 quarts. Ive owned many vehicles and never had this problem. My 03 Mercedes burned a little btw oil changes but nothing like this!!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 2016 Limited I just bought with 40k and having the same problem. I just serviced the vehicle myself and at 2k miles I noticed the change oil light came back on. Guess what? Low by 1.5 quarts. Ive owned many vehicles and never had this problem. My 03 Mercedes burned a little btw oil changes but nothing like this!!!!
My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty with almost 260,000 miles on it burns WAY less oil (like only a 1/4 quart between changes) than my Latitude. I put in a 1/4 quart or so about every 2 weeks. I have never carried quarts of oil in any of my vehicles. Until now. Now I carry 3 at all times. And a funnel. And shop rags. And the embarrassment of when arriving somewhere and saying, "I'm gonna wait 10 minutes to check my oil" then eat some of that time while explaining the idiotic Jeep/Fiat procedure to check your oil. I eat a little more time when they say I'm wrong ("You gotta check it with a COLD engine !!") until I pull out my owners manual.

One of my friends came up with a thought. "Why didn't they make the dipstick longer so in the morning when it's cold, and the engine has full oil, it reads as such ? This stick reads low when cold. No one checks their oil AFTER driving, so if it's hot and reads high with a longer dipstick, who cares ?".

·
Registered
39 Posts
does adding lucas synthetic oil stabilzer + 4qt. of 0w20 slow down the oil consumption in 2.4 gas
engine . may have to try if dealer cant work thing out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
does adding lucas synthetic oil stabilzer + 4qt. of 0w20 slow down the oil consumption in 2.4 gas
engine . may have to try if dealer cant work thing out.
I'm leery of adding any additives or even changing oil types as it gives Jeep an "out" if something goes wrong and they find out I added something to the oil or changed types, "Oh, you didn't follow the Owners Manual instructions, sorry, not covered.". They'd drop that on you in a heat beat, I can almost guarantee that...

·
Registered
39 Posts
ya I here that ! additives are my last resort. if I cant work something out with dealer. were going to do the consumption
test but its a long 1000 mile then another 1000 and maybe one more. if they see enough of a loss then scope cylinder
walls take photo to see how bad send to there main HQ. and then make a discussion. that's why I am looking for
options if plan A goes sour!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately this is common with the Fiat Renegade. I had a 2015 Lattitude. It was a 36 month lease (Thank God!) . With about 10 months left on the lease, I started to notice it was burning oil and that burning would increase incrementally by the week. It got to a point where I had to add a quart of oil every 2 or 3 weeks depending on the driving. I had alot of other problems with the vehicle as well but I won't mention it here to stay on topic. Long story short, I handed the car back 6 months early because I could not rely on the vehicle any longer. I paid the last 6 months of the lease up front and asked them to please pick it up, which they did. I was actually happy because I didn't own the vehicle and would finally be rid of this disease.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry to hear TRAILDUDE! from what dealer said they have replaced many tirgershark motors
but I know this seems to be the new narm send out 100,000 bad ones maybe they will have to
fix 50,000. well I will see what happens in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really feel bad for the people that actually bought this vehicle. The problems that I have had (and so many others I have spoken to) with this renegade really were numerous and frequent. I never had a vehicle have so many problems from electrical to mechanical to chasis/wheel bearing replacement. I'll never buy FIAT ever again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted back in February on this thread what happened to me. Our offices were closed all through April so I didn't do much driving. I have already had to put an additional 2 quarts in and when I filled up this morning and did my monthly oil check it needed more.

At this point I'm looking to get out of this vehicle which is disappointing because I bought it new in 2018, loved it and had hoped this would be my 5+ year vehicle. Just not a good time to try to offload a used car with issues. So I guess I have to take a loss on this one.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts