Jeep Renegade Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds good! I have a slow oil burner they wont do anything for me . dealer said 1qt per 500miles
for them to replace motor. my little devel 1 pt. per 1000 miles now iam using high mile oil. to see
what happens.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I started using high mileage in mine at 60k and I think it has helped. I believe it has slowed down the oil consumption. I'm not at a 100 % high mileage as I am topping it off with the remaining regular mileage oil I had left over. Only about half a quart of it left to use up. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
doing the same for now. maybe next oil change all 5qt will be high miles. I am @ 36,000
cant hurt as long as there is oil in the motor. I think my seals are leaking not the piston rings.
last time I pull the plugs they looked normal. I hope it works so maybe we all can slow down
oil consumpition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, experiences below.
Hello,

let me give you some context about what's going on and then I would like to hear from you.

I have a 2016, Jeep Renegade, with about 42K miles. When I first got my Jeep I read online about complaints regarding Jeep Renegades going through a lot of oil between oil changes. I very rarely wait until 10K miles to do an oil change. I usually do them around 4, 5, or 6K miles. Every time I take my Jeep in they always tell me, "oh, your Jeep was a little low on oil." They never made it sound dire and it probably wasn't because I change my oil often.

Well, lately I've been under financial stress and haven't been able to do my multiple oil changes, so I had to wait.

Long story short, my Jeep died yesterday at a stop light. Just completely shut down for no apparent reason. I was able to get it to start again after a few minutes. Later that morning I noticed a warning pop up when I was making a hard U-Turn. "LOW OIL PRESSURE." That's odd, I thought. I pulled into a gas station and I was almost completely OUT OF OIL (yes, I let the Jeep sit before checking). I was in disbelief. I checked 4 or 5 times just to be sure.. There was about 1/8" of oil on my dipstick.

I took it to the nearest Jiffy Lube and got an oil change. They service guy tells me "you didn't have any oil in your engine." -yeah, thanks.

It has been 10 weeks and 9,500 miles since my last oil change. There is NO WAY an engine should burn 4-5 quarts of oil in 10 weeks OR 9,500 miles. My old Toyota had 178K miles and barely burned half a quart between changes.

A little research and I found out.. I'm not alone. Other people are having this problem too. There is no way these engines are passing emissions standards burning through that much oil.

CHECK YOUR OIL. I didn't think I had this problem and I found out the hard way... Thank God I wasn't on the freeway or far from home.

Hello,

Hey, I know ur post was like 2 years ago, but I have a 2018 Renegade and having the same issues. So I looked online and found ur post. But I'm also having issues with losing oil way too soon b4 scheduled changes. Also had the vehicle stall while driving, which isn't very fun. But when it stalled, that's when I realized it was using too much oil. I'm usually pretty good with on time maintenance, so checking the oil every time I leave the house isn't programed in my brain yet. But having it stall at a stop sign makes u start checking oil more. Mine has been using about 1-2 Qts between oil changes and it seems like it's becoming a pattern.
So, I was wondering if u learned anything new or found a solution in the last 2 years. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issues. My car would run out of oil and stall without warning. You have to inform your dealer. They will do an oil consumption test. If your Jeep fails they will replace the engine. I got my engine replaced a few months ago. However the engine they gave me is also having the same issue. I’m thinking of getting a new car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same issues. My car would run out of oil and stall without warning. You have to inform your dealer. They will do an oil consumption test. If your Jeep fails they will replace the engine. I got my engine replaced a few months ago. However the engine they gave me is also having the same issue. I’m thinking of getting a new car.
That's because it's not the whole engine that's the issue, it's the piston rings and cylinders. If they continue to build them under the same specs/tolerances a new engine will perform the same way. Some are worse than others. I go through about 1qt per oil change, some people will run completely dry if they aren't careful. There is a class action suit filed to attempt to get compensation for consumers. Feel free to google FCA 2.4L lawsuit and you'll see plenty of results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

People fall in love with these vehicles. I'll be honest, it was fun as heck to drive and I loved the feeling but that's where it ends. The car is an unadulterated p.o.s. . I don't even think I listed all the problems I had. I also had the same stalling problem you had but it got stuck in my garage and I had to get it towed to the dealer . They had to change a module of some kind and the battery for some odd reason. Software issues too many times, too much time at the dealer. I needed new wheel bearings in the front, car only had 17k on it at the time. Who has ever heard of this? it's not normal. I have an FJ Cruiser, 2007 and it has over 200k and it still has the same wheel bearings and they are still good. Your oil problem is more the norm than the exception. I started burning out at around 22k, extra quart every 3 weeks , that's when I was done and gave the car back early, it was a lease thank goodness I didn't own it. I'll stop listing the problems here, there are more but I think I got my point across. Don't ever buy a FIAT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's because it's not the whole engine that's the issue, it's the piston rings and cylinders. If they continue to build them under the same specs/tolerances a new engine will perform the same way. Some are worse than others. I go through about 1qt per oil change, some people will run completely dry if they aren't careful. There is a class action suit filed to attempt to get compensation for consumers. Feel free to google FCA 2.4L lawsuit and you'll see plenty of results.

That tigershark engine and ridiculously stupid transmission with like what 9 gears? (I forgot) was the oddest thing ever. Had the powerband of a 2 stroke engine with a decent upper mid range and great top end hit. It had zero torque unless you had it in 4 wheel. That was a bad design. Not to good on gas either. It had the powerband of a slower motocross motorcycle. It kind of took off though once that powerband kicked in. One of the few good things about this p.o.s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Hello,

Same thing happened to me. I was driving along and suddenly my 2017 Jeep Renegade shout off with absolutely no warning at all!! So, here I am sitting along the road with a dead car. I checked the battery, Google what would cause car to shut off...of course I found everything except the oil issue. I called my brother and he said it might be low in oil. Sure enough I wait a 10 or so minutes and the Jeep start. I drop it home which was only 1/2 mile. I checked the oil and the stick barley showed and oil. Crazy!!! Why would a 2017 use so much oil and not tell you you are low? I will he trading this Jeep in in the near future. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I called my brother and he said it might be low in oil. Sure enough I wait a 10 or so minutes and the Jeep start. I drop it home which was only 1/2 mile. I checked the oil and the stick barley showed and oil.
It is posts from concerned members that enlighten the rest of the forum and I thank you for explaining your issue.

I discussed this same issue when chatting with a mechanic and I was told we are all talking BS. Strangely enough he worked for Fiat and after reading some posts in here I sensed that someone was now hiding a rather embarrassed face.

The more modern that cars get the more they are failing on simple issues. That must be addressed at the basic design level instead of waiting till they are on-the-road. :cry::cry:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

2016 jeep renegade 1.4l turbo. I’m having the same issues. Every 1k-2k miles, I am missing a quart of oil. The dealership did a oil consumption test twice. The first time they said that it wasn’t burning enough oil for them to have to fix it. Second time around I bitched to them and they told me it was faulty spark plugs. I changed the plugs and still have the issue but the vehicle is no longer under warrantee. I just have to check it now.

I WILL NEVER BUY A FIAT-CHRYSLER PRODUCT AGAIN.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts