Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to notice this noise at about 300 miles, it is usually worse when the outside temperature is warmer, it will sometimes be gone for the first 1 or 2 miles of driving if the outside temp is below freezing, happens under acceleration and deceleration, seems to be less when the vehicle is "coasting". it is like a sort of grinding/winding noise. 4wd lock does not make it go away, turning traction control on/off does not change it, it is not gear specific and sometimes if I shift to neutral it will go away, but sometimes I can still hear it even in neutral, used to be between 20 and 40 mph , now I can hear it as low as 15 mph and above 55. I read through the giant "grinding" thread but didn't find any audio or video in there, and my situation seems a little different on account of everyone in that thread said turning traction control off made the symptom go away and that it seemed to be coming from the rear end. I have uploaded a video to youtube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oU0Twpz7YRU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/oU0Twpz7YRU
Does anyone else have this same unique noise?
This is a 2018 4x4 latitude 2.4L 9-speed

·
Registered
92 Posts
I started to notice this noise at about 300 miles, it is usually worse when the outside temperature is warmer, it will sometimes be gone for the first 1 or 2 miles of driving if the outside temp is below freezing, happens under acceleration and deceleration, seems to be less when the vehicle is "coasting". it is like a sort of grinding/winding noise. 4wd lock does not make it go away, turning traction control on/off does not change it, it is not gear specific and sometimes if I shift to neutral it will go away, but sometimes I can still hear it even in neutral, used to be between 20 and 40 mph , now I can hear it as low as 15 mph and above 55. I read through the giant "grinding" thread but didn't find any audio or video in there, and my situation seems a little different on account of everyone in that thread said turning traction control off made the symptom go away and that it seemed to be coming from the rear end. I have uploaded a video to youtube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oU0Twpz7YRU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/oU0Twpz7YRU
Does anyone else have this same unique noise?
This is a 2018 4x4 latitude 2.4L 9-speed
Check the fan.....good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruled out swaybar links, although they were clunking, they are not the source of this noise. I'm thinking CV Halfshaft, or transmission :/ , have an appointment for next Friday to have dealer take a look at it as well as the HVAC due to resetting itself to LO air conditioning after turning the car off.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
That is not the 30mph grinding noise.

Only suggestion I can offer is to turn off the HVAC fan and see if it goes away. The sound is similar to what I got from the HVAC fan in another vehicle when the bearings started to go south.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ruled out cooling fan, HVAC blower fan as well, it seems to correlate with wheel speed and worsens with higher trans operating temps. Taking to dealer end of next week to diagnose this and the mysterious HVAC settings reset that occurs a couple times a week since day 1. Will keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
go lift your hood and bang on your left fender ... My wife's car has been in the shop for a week they just today put a "harmonic amplifier" or some special tool that amplifies sounds to locate issues in an engine. .. I've only heard of mechanic stethoscopes but whatever .. they say that rattle from acceleration is something in my front fender .. Im not paying a mechanic 120 per hour to locate a loose bolt on my fender ..

wondering if this is your issue too

·
Registered
997 Posts
My mechanic had the wheel bolts in finger tight. Noise correlated with wheel speed. Hope that isn't it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mechanic had the wheel bolts in finger tight. Noise correlated with wheel speed. Hope that isn't it.
Double checked today following your post and all lugs are tight to 90 ft/lbs, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day to all. This morning I've found some kind of noise(hard plastic bottle knocking) during the slow speed on the quit rough road coming from fwd left part of the car. In the evening time I've observed that when wheels full to the left shaft/axle of drive line can be shacked by hand causing the similar noise as mentioned above and nothing with the right wheel. Did you have anything similar?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I once had a Nissan Terrano that was making a strange, knocking noise when I was doing a full wheel lock turn. Yet the opposite lock sounded more as you describe (hard plastic bottle knocking).

Being a typical miserly Scotsman and a non mechanic I opted to look underneath the car. Lo and behold, on full lock there was a piece of metal designed as a buffer with a piece of rubber on it that prevented you from turning any further.

One of the "buffers" was missing it's rubber stopper. This was producing a knocking metal on metal noise when turning one way and the hard plastic knocking noise as I turned in the opposite direction.

Surely we do not have this system on our Jeeps? :oops:

·
Super Moderator
1,514 Posts
I've currently got a recurrent clacking sound that is like someone is hitting under the front left hand side with a ski pole.
At first I thought it was driving over metal gratings in the road.

No correlation to engine revs, speed, steering direction, 4WD engaged, A/C starting or stopping ...

Dealer found nothing. My indie garage neither. As a Fiat guy he said it could be a dodgy bushing somewhere. A problem on old Tipos
apparently. And non catastrophic in nature.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was having a rattling sound under the front of my trailhawk for about a week after my last outing. I finally got time to wash the mud off and found the front passenger wheel well liner and access door loose. I fixed that and on my test drive after heard a different rattling noise. Crawling back under I found 1 bolt for my front skid plate missing and 3 others finger loose.
What I'm getting at is, there are a lot of things that can cause rattles, vibrations, or whatever. Sometimes you just need to take the time to check everything out yourself.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've currently got a recurrent clacking sound that is like someone is hitting under the front left hand side with a ski pole.
At first I thought it was driving over metal gratings in the road.
Nev, did you check the car properly after re-entering the UK via the Channel Tunnel?

Another unknown hiding spot........... Perhaps Mexico use this method to enter the USA as well :eek::p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day to all of you. Investigation report: I were on 4 different services(Shock absorber tester\detailed checks and so on), all of them observed the same noise driving together with in the car, 2 of them have opinion that Link Stabilizer Bar to be replaced (part: 68246496AB). Personally I've found some movement of Shaft Axle Half on Drive Line( but they sad it's normal). Tomorrow I'll visit the service where my Reny was repaired after auction, and also try to check the movement of the shaft on another TH to exclude a/m variant.
Actually it was cause (I supposed ) by a deep pothole on the road. Later I'll post abt results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts