Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this will show up well in the snapshot of my dashcam footage...coming out of a roundabout on the A31. A 3 pin plug fell off the roof of a lorry which was taking the corner surprisingly quickly. It bounced off the road and hit the Renegade with a thud. I was VERY worried there would be damage, but it appears to have hit the headlight and must have been a rubberised plug since only left a white rubber scuff which polished out OK. Glad it didn't hit with the metal prongs facing forward.
Note reg number on dashcam is previous Jeep...must change it.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of dashcam do you have? and how did you mount it to your renegade?
Can you take a picture of the dashcam mounted?
I'll take pics tomorrow. Its just mounted to the left of the rear veiw mirror per rizla post (with a sticky pad rather than suction thing). I've got a Vicovation TF2+ bought about 2 and a half years ago...got good review by Techmoan on youtube (he does lots of dashcam reviews). I run the wiring poked behind the headliner and down the side of the door behind the door seals then under the passenger mat then up to the power outlet in front of the gear shift. The vicovation was pretty expensive at the time (£200???+) but prices have come down. I also have an £75 Transcenddrive pro 200 in the back facing rearward out the back window. It also gives decent footage at a much lower price. Get a 1080 one...much better at being able to read number plates. Also use a decent quality sd card. Both cameras power up when ignition it on. I also have a magnetic 'dashcam recording' removable sticker on the back. I find people don't tailgate me so much with the sticker on. Its removable to take off in dodgy car parks where you don;t want to advertise you have a camera in the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've actually just bought a £30 from Aldi today to replace one that failed in my runabout, it was one recommended by the techmoan guy (g1wh), it lasted 6 months or so, although there are a lot different suppliers out there and I think i'd bought a bad one.

Whilst you do get what you pay for and as RedX says you are better off getting a proper 1080 one, you are much better off getting a £30 one from Aldi than not getting one at all. (as I know from recent experience).

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1080p-dashboard-camera-/p/069859032077700

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of dashcam do you have? and how did you mount it to your renegade?
Can you take a picture of the dashcam mounted?
This is my set-up front and rear. Note I've got a right hand drive. I would have put the front camera a bit closer to the mirror to be not quite so obvious, but it has a very wide angle lens and when closer, the mirror was blocking out some of the right field view.
Rear one is stuck onto the inside trim with gorilla glue plus some gorilla tape (ducktape)

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow your garage is tidy!!!

I actually prefer the camera to be obvious from the outside, apparently the crash for cash brigade now look for a dashcam in the car behind before they cause a crash.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow your garage is tidy!!!
I actually prefer the camera to be obvious from the outside, apparently the crash for cash brigade now look for a dashcam in the car behind before they cause a crash.
I had to have a tidy garage because the old Grand Cherokee 'just' fitted with inches to spare. I forgot to add this picture. I also have a sticker on a magnetic sheet on the back so any crash for cash folks will know I've got a camera. Magnetic sheet so I can remove it in circumstances where I don;t want to advertise the fact.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pushes underneath the headliner v easily...then mine tracks across the top of the a pillar at the join (a bit tighter so wire is just visible), then own the inside of the door rubber and comes out at the bottom, then I've just put it under the passenger floor mat to emerge at the front consul. I could have tracked it around the underneath of the dash if I'd wanted it neater. I haven't used guides. I used self adhesive guides for the rear camera, but found the adhesive doesn't stick to the hard plastic trim very well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just shove it up there - it will go just fine.
Then push it into the A pillar.
Take the speaker grille off and feed the wire down there.
I put a supply in the glovebox fed from the glovebox light. This means it comes liveas roon as you unlock, and stays on for about twenty minutes after you lock the car.
I'll post up some pics in a bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Ted, which cam have you got thats USB powered?

I wonder whats in that box by the rear view mirror, my mirror is simply bolted straight to windscreen with a small black sun shield strip. Grand Cherokee I hired used to have a camera inside that style of box.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, toproc. Mine is an a118c, but they are all basically usb powered. The *** lighter plug converts from 12 to 5 volts.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I know. I did mention other words that have different meanings between the USA and UK.

USA rubber - condom UK

USA eraser - rubber UK

In the stationery department asking for a rubber and you get directed elsewhere.

Ok, back to the original topic .......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.