Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2015 Non trailhawk, 1.4t. Recently I have been hearing a "clunking" noise from the front passenger side. When I first started hearing it, I thought it kind of sounded like I was running over a manhole cover, and never thought much of it. Last week I noticed it was much louder and more pronounced so I started paying strict attention to every sound it made. It was then that I discovered that it only made that noise when I am slowing down from highway speed, and when it gets to right under 40 mph, CLUNK!.
I tried slowing down while still in 5th, downshifting to 4th, putting it in neutral, leaving the clutch in, nothing seems to matter. The other day my dog hit the traction button with his foot and it made a long drawn out sound almost like something electronic trying to engage, then CLUNK! I left traction off after that and noticed that it didn't do it when I slowed down.
I asked my mechanic about it and he said he had never heard of anything like it.
Today it snowed, so I tested the traction control system and it seems to function properly, but still I get that clunk when I slow to just under 40.
Have any of you guys had anything like this happen?

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
351 Posts
Yeah...definitely strange. First...how many miles do you have? Is it the same transmission? Have you had any work done to the transmission? I’m assuming you’re not touching your brakes while slowing down from highway speed, so I don’t believe it’s your brake system. Just to be safe I’d get under there and check all the suspension nut/bolts to make sure they are all tight (On another forum I’m on the CV axle completely detached from the output shaft on someone’s truck! Granted it’s not the suspension...it does go to show crazy things can happen.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a clunk on the passenger side also on my 2016 TH and it ended up being the passenger side motor mount. I changed it and it’s like a different vehicle. I know this was a known issue on the 2.4L engine but I’m unsure if the 1.4 have similar issues??? Easy to check it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts