Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Renegade, 1.4T/6M, has just been diagnosed with a bad clutch. It’s just gone off warranty, and the dealer told me they’ve replaced about 3 so far—and since the Renegades only been around since 2015, and the 6M isn’t all that common (especially in my rural area), this suggests that this might be a recurring issue with these.

The symptoms are that the clutch doesn’t seem to release properly. I assumed it would be a leaking cylinder or something, so I was completely suprised when the dealer service tech handed me an estimate for well over $4K to repair it. This includes the clutch, bearing, and flywheel, and 11 hours labour.

Iis this a common occurrence? Is there an aftermarket clutch that won’t die in such a short time?–the OEM clutch only lasted 5 years, I’ve been driving manuals for decades and never had a clutch go bad so quickly! Is this a job a local mechanic could do, or am I stuck with using the dealer techs?

·
Registered
527 Posts
$4k? :unsure: You can just about get a whole new tranny for that. I'd see a reputable local mechanic for a 2nd opinion and price.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed. Local mechanic can definitely replace a clutch. I don't know of anything fancy or particularly difficult with this one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.

Breakdown is: $1400 labour (11 hours), $600 clutch, $450 bearing, and then $1700 for a new flywheel. Taxes in, it’s pushing $5K.

I’ve already contacted a local mechanic who’s willing to tackle it, but now I need to find parts. Anyone have a good source for aftermarket parts for these vehicles? Is it the same clutch as used in Fiat 500s with the same engine/transmission setup?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My daughter's clutch 2015 with 98000 miles went out $2615. NO WARNING happened after she was rear-ended while moving, the Body shop was driving it to a muffler repair shop, and "the clutch blew up". The insurance company refused to include payment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The clutch went out on my daughter’s 2017 Renegade in the fall. Only 37,000 miles on the vehicle. Dealer quoted my daughter $5500 to fix. She said no thank you.

I was going to handle myself. I tried to find an aftermarket or OEM clutch kit but all were on back order, with a several week wait.

My daughter needed the Renegade back right away so I used a local mechanic who is a friend. He was able to get the OEM parts through his sources and install. Cost was about $3200, still expensive but less than dealer.

Parts included new clutch, flywheel and clutch slave cylinder, which comes bundled with some other parts. Labor was about $1500, because a lot has to be disassembled to get to the transaxle and clutch. Another issue is that the transmission oil is special CVT type fluid, which is expensive. In addition, the flywheel was about $800.

Try Renegade Ready (renegadeready.com) for the parts. They are cheaper than OEM and have a better selection. They tried their hardest to get me the parts but couldn’t do it except waiting a few weeks. They may have availability now as that was a few months ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts