Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my front right strut going to die soon

So i'm looking for a replacement which is *more comfortable* for mostly "on road" use
factory set up is too stiff on small bumps

i have no lift, just regular 75 anniversary version

anybody ?

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Strut is not going to matter much it's the springs. And if you like the way it rides without feeling like it is going to tip over, you probably aren't going to soften up the ride much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strut is not going to matter much it's the springs. And if you like the way it rides without feeling like it is going to tip over, you probably aren't going to soften up the ride much.
The Strut is going to matter a huge deal. The shock absorber is what determines how quickly the vehicle reacts to suspension loads. That said most aftermarket struts are going to have more aggressive valving in them than a stock strut would, and are going to ride a bit harsher.

Yes the spring rate (or really the ride frequency a given spring rate gives you) plays a large part in how cushy or stiff the vehicle feels it is far from the determinate factor on overall ride quality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry Taras, I can't give you any suggestions, but I happen to really love how this little Jeep is dampened. Sure, it's not as good as my old Jaguar, but that thing has electronic controlled suspension.

The Renegade, however, has very innovative shocks: it has Koni FSD shocks. FSD stands for frequency selective damping shocks. They soften for high frequency motions like those found on rough roads at high speeds for comfort, and stiffen at low frequencies like big dips on the road so that the Jeep isn't unsettled. However, since they are a compromise, they are not perfect and they sacrifice both. They are not as stiff as dedicated sporty shocks (which would be even less comfortable on the road) nor as wallowy and soft as a traditional shock absorbers could have been, and they provide a more cost effective way of imitating the variable damping of computer active shocks.

What they do achieve however, is provide a fairly comfortable ride while allowing the Renegade to corner like a much sportier car than it is. They give me more confidence in than I could get in my father in law's Infiniti FX-35 on tight high speed corners, which seems to roll.

If you fit these shocks into something with a lower center of gravity and better tires, like a Mazda 3, you could potentially lower lap times versus whatever its standard shocks are.

It shows that Jeep actually cared about making the Renegade more nimble on the road than the prior patriot, wranglers and older compass could have ever dreamt of being.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How come Koni does not list the Renegade for buying shocks. I have a latitude so I'm talking unlifted regular shocks/struts. Someone said they used to or implied it. Are they kind of forcing you to buy from Mopar to get them? I did see the old press release from FCA in like 2015 where they talked up the Koni technology. You would think Koni would be all over that unless there was some legal agreement in the way. It looks like the only other shocks out there in wide use as an OEM or OEM replacement are the Bilstein B6's. Anyone else

·
Registered
417 Posts
How come Koni does not list the Renegade for buying shocks. I have a latitude so I'm talking unlifted regular shocks/struts. Someone said they used to or implied it. Are they kind of forcing you to buy from Mopar to get them? I did see the old press release from FCA in like 2015 where they talked up the Koni technology. You would think Koni would be all over that unless there was some legal agreement in the way. It looks like the only other shocks out there in wide use as an OEM or OEM replacement are the Bilstein B6's. Anyone else
I'm surprised to hear that Koni offers nothing. The factory (?) struts on a '15 Trail Hawk that I looked at had a strut labeled as such-and-such a name "by Koni". I had assumed that since they had the specs and the fixtures, that they would be offering them.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Bilstein B6 (the yellow ones). NO complaints with their ride.

Amazon, $127.00 each

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bilstein B6 cracked on a weld
after 25000 miles
started leaking oil from that crack
don't think they will cover it by any warranty as it was bought in US and then shipped to Ukraine

so tired to fix so much troubles with front suspension on my renegade...
and i'm not running heavy offroad! it's 90% city drive, and only occasional village road trips

And compare it to original jeep struts (pic below)
that weld joint on Bilstein B6 looks very poor, that crack should happen sometime..

I would not recommend it for long time use

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Bilstein B6 cracked on a weld...
Thank you for sharing. ALL feedback is always appreciated. Good or bad. (y)

Lets others know what they could be getting in to.

Thanks for posting with pictures.

Reactions: dgr401
1 - 9 of 9 Posts