Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I 'm new to the forums, but I have no idea where else to go for this problem... it's kind of unique. So earlier this year (~Jan 23), I was having trouble with my sunroof (Command View, full glass panel) closing. I would have to hold the button down to actuate the emergency close feature almost every time. One day, it didn't close at all, no matter what I did. So naturally, I took it in to get it fixed. Luckily I still had a few months on my warranty at that point so they could address it at no cost. The techs looked at it for about an hour, and told me they couldn't get it closed no matter what they tried, and that I'd have to get the entire rail system replaced. Which okay, it's under warranty so no big deal. Except the parts were (are?) on backorder, and they wouldn't be in until end of February, they say. I don't have a garage, so I figured I'd put it in storage somewhere until end of February. Here's where it gets interesting.

A few days after that visit, the ENTIRE glass panel for the sunroof flew off of my vehicle and shattered while I was driving it from work, shredding the paint on my roof. No one else's car was struck by all that glass shrapnel, and I hurried back to the dealership to get THAT addressed too. So I was careful not to make any accusations, because sunroofs just don't fly off like mine did... and to make it clear that I really just want to get this thing fixed. So they look at it, determined what parts I'd need, and sent me on way promising a call when any of those parts came in.

Well it's the beginning of March, so I called in to ask what the status of those parts were. No record of them being ordered (!!). So the guy promised to talk to the parts department and have them call me back about it... that was six hours ago. So the issue I'm having, and I figured I would have, is that my warranty is expiring very soon (if it isn't already), and I'm VERY worried that they're going to drag their feet until it does, so they won't have the responsibility to fix this problem. I'm not really sure what else I could possibly do, except try a different dealership... but if my warranty is expired, then I'd have to pay for all of this out of pocket. Any ideas on what I could do? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
181 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. It really sucks to hear that you were treated that way and cannot get answers. Hopefully, someone like @JeepCares will reach out and can assist you with the problem.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Document everything. If your warranty hasn't expired yet, you should be covered.

If it has expired, and you've got documentation that the issue started before it expired, you should still be good.

Can you go in to the dealership in person? And get copies of the orders regarding whatever parts they order -- now or before? As well as some kind of record of the conversation you have with them -- particularly if they indicate this will be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, welcome to the site. It really sucks to hear that you were treated that way and cannot get answers. Hopefully, someone like @JeepCares will reach out and can assist you with the problem.
Hi! Thanks for the welcome!
I understand that things might be a little complicated because of the pandemic, so I hope I’m just overreacting about all of this... but you can definitely tell when you’re getting the ol runaround, and no ones trying to help you out for real.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Document everything. If your warranty hasn't expired yet, you should be covered.

If it has expired, and you've got documentation that the issue started before it expired, you should still be good.

Can you go in to the dealership in person? And get copies of the orders regarding whatever parts they order -- now or before? As well as some kind of record of the conversation you have with them -- particularly if they indicate this will be covered under warranty?
Thats was my plan sometime this week, if I couldn’t get ahold of them again. For now, the only documents I have are ones outlining the appointments I made, and the issue I had specified for each one. I should have gotten something tangible every time they told me parts were on order, but I figured it wouldn’t be difficult for them to get a part and install it. Unfortunately, the dealership is an hour away from me, so that makes things slightly more difficult, but I will go in soon to try and get physical copies of stuff. Thanks for the response by the way!

·
Registered
883 Posts
For now, the only documents I have are ones outlining the appointments I made, and the issue I had specified for each one.
Well, that's good. You've got documented that there were problems (like the initial issue, and then your sunroof panel flying off after they'd worked on it).

The invoices/receipts you got each time should have at least stated that parts were ordered -- though not necessarily each individual part.

But yes, considering the end of the warranty period, I'd think it would be worth making the trip out and talking to a manager in person.

And document.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This has gone on way too long! There should be no concern if you are covered since you took it in right away when you first had the problem. I would call Jeep directly if the Dealership is not handling it quick enough. Mind you I live in very mild weather but would not leave until they fixed it or provide a loaner at their expense. How lucky that no one got hurt! You have been so patient...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi! Thanks for the welcome!
I understand that things might be a little complicated because of the pandemic, so I hope I’m just overreacting about all of this... but you can definitely tell when you’re getting the ol runaround, and no ones trying to help you out for real.
Sorry to hear about these concerns, YandereMutt! If you'd like some assistance from our team while working with your dealer, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts