Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed this with the compass display on their Renegade? Mine points in the wrong direction when it comes to East & West but not North & South. While traveling North, the arrow points "up" as expected. Same with South with the arrow pointing "down". When I begin head away from North South, the mirror but not opposite arrow displays on the compass rose. For example, when I'm traveling NE, that shows in the display however the arrow points NW. When, I'm traveling W, the arrow points E. I don't feel it's a matter of calibration because it says I'm traveling SW when I'm driving SW however the arrow points to SE. I've attached a pic since this may seem very confusing. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have noticed that the Compass on the instrument panel sometimes displays nothing, but the one on the Radio still shows a direction - although to be fair I couldn't say if it was the right direction!

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
881 Posts
Is the arrow always pointing north? I don't think I have that compass "feature" (?), but that sounds like what you are describing (and what the photo shows).

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
881 Posts
Picture holding a compass: Assume the direction you are traveling will always be at the "12 o'clock" position on the compass. If you are traveling north the compass needle will point to 12 o'clock. As you turn to the east, the compass needle will appear to turn left. If you continue to turn until traveling due east, the needle will be pointing at the 9 o'clock position (still pointing north). I think that is what it is doing - just like a real compass. Do you expect the needle to point in the direction you are going? That's not how a compass works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I'm not completely alone with this. I was watching a YouTube video of someone doing a Renegade review and when the camera slowly panned across the Uconnect screen, I paused it and noticed that his compass was showing SW but he arrow on the compass rose was pointing SE. If you have the Uconnect 6.5 in your Renegade, hit the "More" button and see what your compass shows. It's easy to miss. Like I stated at the beginning of the thread, N and S match up - it's only when E & W begin to factor into it.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
881 Posts
I know I'm not completely alone with this. I was watching a YouTube video of someone doing a Renegade review and when the camera slowly panned across the Uconnect screen, I paused it and noticed that his compass was showing SW but he arrow on the compass rose was pointing SE. If you have the Uconnect 6.5 in your Renegade, hit the "More" button and see what your compass shows. It's easy to miss. Like I stated at the beginning of the thread, N and S match up - it's only when E & W begin to factor into it.
If you are traveling SW, the needle will point to the 4 o'clock position because the needle is pointing north.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK "rsanges", I see what you're saying. The little yellow arrow on the compass rose will always be pointing North (just like they usually do) no matter which direction I'm traveling in. Thank you for making me feel like a complete idiot!

·
Registered
580 Posts
So you are saying you confused North with your heading? From this I gather the Renegade's compass displays rather where north is than where you are headed? Can someone confirm that the Reneagde's compass displays only Northm but not the heading? If it is so, I find that unusual for a vehicle compass.

I have an external electronic compass in my car that points to both, North and the heading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, it displays both. The heading will appear as an abbreviation in the center of the compass rose. The arrow on the compass rose will indicate North

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use the picture I posted in the first post of this thread as a reference. As the heading changes, so too does the arrow's position based on which direction north is based on which direction the Renegade is facing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I actually did not see the yellow North indicator at first.

So everything is working normally and as expected. The North indicator points always North on the compass rose and the current heading is displayed numerically.

By the way, does this compass allow to adjust for declination?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm glad you have this figured out, smahlz. I just wanted to jump in in case anyone else has compass concerns, as Lackadazikal is correct that there is a TSB for the compass being off 90 degrees.

TSB 08-052-15

SUBJECT:
Compass Direction Displayed Is 90 Degrees Off

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves a vehicle reconfiguration and proxi alignment for proper compass direction displayed within the instrument cluster.

MODELS:
2015 (BU) Jeep Renegade

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before April 23, 2015 (MDH 0423XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may notice the compass direction displayed is 90 degrees off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.