Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have yet to find a comprehensive and labeled diagram of the 2.4l engine.

When I lookd under the Rennie's hood, I noticed that the acessory belt-driven components are not at the front of the engine, but at the passenger side. On my previous car, I had to remove the front bumper and lock carrier with radiator, basically the whole front end, to work on the fron of the engime. Since the Rennegade's engine compartment is also tight, how does one replace, for ecample, any accessory belt-drive components other than the alternator. The latter is far forward and on top and I think is reachable from the top.

Not sure how I feel about the exhaust manifold being upfront. While reducing noice and interior heat intrusion, it is still weird.

Too big to post, but decent image of 2.4L:
http://blog.dodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2.4-Liter-Tigershark-Engine.jpg

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have yet to find a comprehensive and labeled diagram of the 2.4l engine.

When I lookd under the Rennie's hood, I noticed that the acessory belt-driven components are not at the front of the engine, but at the passenger side. On my previous car, I had to remove the front bumper and lock carrier with radiator, basically the whole front end, to work on the fron of the engime. Since the Rennegade's engine compartment is also tight, how does one replace, for ecample, any accessory belt-drive components other than the alternator. The latter is far forward and on top and I think is reachable from the top.

Not sure how I feel about the exhaust manifold being upfront. While reducing noice and interior heat intrusion, it is still weird.

Too big to post, but decent image of 2.4L:
http://blog.dodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2.4-Liter-Tigershark-Engine.jpg
The Renegade is not designed to be worked on by the owner.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Accessory drive is still at the front of the engine, the engine is just rotated 90 degrees. You must not be familiar with front drive layout. The exhaust manifold up front is the same as its been on front drive vehicles for 30+ years.

The engine compartment is quite roomy. I have worked on far, far worse. Most components are easy to get to. You get the alternator from up top and the AC compressor, water pump, and starter from underneath.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Renegade is not designed to be worked on by the owner.
No modern acr is really designed with ease of repair in mind, but it is designed so that humans with normal arms, hands and fingers may execute repairs. The question is how much effort is required to get the job done. Like I said, on my previous car I had to remove the whole front end for a timing belt job or to replace a waterpump. Professional mechanics do not magically access components. If they can reach, so can I.

Som from where are the belt-driven components best acessible? From the top doesn't look good. How about from under the car? I have not yet spent time under it, other than to examine the suspension.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accessory drive is still at the front of the engine, the engine is just rotated 90 degrees. You must not be familiar with front drive layout. The exhaust manifold up front is the same as its been on front drive vehicles for 30+ years.

The engine compartment is quite roomy. I have worked on far, far worse. Most components are easy to get to. You get the alternator from up top and the AC compressor, water pump, and starter from underneath.
Yes, the accessory drive is at the front of the engine, but not at the front of the engine compartment, since the egine is truend sideways. I'm used to longitudinally installed Audi V6 engines with the the accessories up front. While I used to have 4 bangers, I can't remember the layout all that well. Did my VW Scirocco really have the exhaust manifold in the front?

Good to hear that AC compressor, water pump, and starter are accessible from underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.