Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought my Renegade Limited on Saturday, hopefully they updated whatever needed to be as I sat there over 2 hours before they handed it to me saying they were cleaning it. Would these "updates" show up on Jeep site as a recall?? How will I ever know if there is an update needed?? I'm in Canada by the way. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a lemon.
I think that you these show as "campaing" on the Jeep site and also show if your car is "repaired" or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My take on these updates....is that FCA doesn't really want to have to pay for all this work under warranty.
So dealers are told not to apply unless troubleshooting a reported issue....so that they don't charge back FCA for the work.

Would this be a fair assumption?

I did bring mine in for a squeaky front seat and had inquired about the updates....and was told they don't apply them unless addressing a specific issue.

However, that seems pretty poor.
One may have an issue they are not actually aware of....or say one of these updates will increase your MPG.
It seems bad that they would not just install them when your car comes in for service.

·
Registered
201 Posts
However, that seems pretty poor.
One may have an issue they are not actually aware of....or say one of these updates will increase your MPG.
It seems bad that they would not just install them when your car comes in for service.
I agree, that is a bad way of dealing with updates. As compared to working with the Kia dealership with my last car... id bring it in for something minor and when i get it back, they would tell me "oh and we updated a couple software packages while we had it". So updates should be the norm, not an exception.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree, that is a bad way of dealing with updates. As compared to working with the Kia dealership with my last car... id bring it in for something minor and when i get it back, they would tell me "oh and we updated a couple software packages while we had it". So updates should be the norm, not an exception.

I agree..... it should be then norm. I would insist on it being done. So..... we wait for a possible breakdown & be inconvenienced because they don't feel they should do the update until something happens!?! Not cool Mr. Marchionne......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your dealer is feeding you a line of b.s. Chrysler has pushed to do the updates when the car comes in so that the customer does not end up with the problem. The only updates that are not done are the ones with parts involved that has a specific failure with it. But keep in mind that some updates apply by build date of the unit, so just because one person on here had an update done does not mean it is across the board for all models. You will not get any type on notification about updates that are out, you will only get recall notices and there is a big difference. When you go in for service you can ask to have any updates done that are covered, but you can not call in and have them check to see if you have any. I hope this cleared up some of the confusion about updates and how they are handled.

·
Registered
116 Posts
would be nice then if FCA and dealers would get on the same page.
I still think they are lacking in putting it on the owner....to have to check in with dealer every time and say I want all updates applied.
It should be part of the process of bringing vehicle in for service. Just automatically done.
If it is on the owner, there should be some way to check to see what updates are out there and what they address.

Presently this is not a good process.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have asked twice about updates and told there were not any. I haven't had any major problems yet but think If they are out there they should be done. Hmmmm

·
Super Moderator
3,386 Posts
My take on these updates....is that FCA doesn't really want to have to pay for all this work under warranty.
So dealers are told not to apply unless troubleshooting a reported issue....so that they don't charge back FCA for the work.

Would this be a fair assumption?
Probably not fair at all. I'd guess that much like any other warranty fix, FCA doesn't pay the dealer warranty money unless they provide some proof that they fixed a problem with the vehicle. If they pay for flashes at all, I suspect to be warrantable they have to have a customer complaint and proof from the diagnostic tool.

The other part is that at this point flashing new vehicles takes SOOOO long.

To do the flash for my TH, it took about 2.5 hours AFTER they figured out all the problems with version compatibility. The service area is open about 10 hours a day. They can do max 5 cars a day per diagnostic unit.

Discussing this with a friend, one of his friends is a service manager for a BMW dealership, they have models that take 6 hours to flash according to him

I think they may need to move to something like a flash card or sim card model. Let the dealership swap it out in 2 minutes and pay someone halfway around the planet to update modules returned as cores or warranty proof.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think they may need to move to something like a flash card or sim card model. Let the dealership swap it out in 2 minutes and pay someone halfway around the planet to update modules returned as cores or warranty proof.
No way. That makes WAY too much sense.

Seriously, how can it possibly take 6 hours to flash anything? We're not talking terabytes of data here.

Are they using one of these?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Too funny....yes 2.5 hours to flash seems extreme enough, but 6 hours really?

And I guess it was a fair assumption, if you are saying they won't get paid for flashing unless proof that it is fixing something.
So while they have fixes to address issues, better to wait for something to break before addressing.
Not sure that is the greatest customer service model.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The dealer did some software update yesterday. Here's some reference to my fellow reney's, but please don't ask what those code means ?

1) PCM FLASH 18-043-15 rev a
2) BCM FLASH 08-085-15
3) HVAC 08-063-15
4) RFH FLASH 08-06015
5) IPC 08-066-15

* once those updates are done check your settings, some of them reset to default (brake, etc.)

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The dealer did some software update yesterday. Here's some reference to my fellow reney's, but please don't ask what those code means ?

1) PCM FLASH 18-043-15 rev a
2) BCM FLASH 08-085-15
3) HVAC 08-063-15
4) RFH FLASH 08-06015
5) IPC 08-066-15

* once those updates are done check your settings, some of them reset to default (brake, etc.)
Some are now posted in here:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/522-tsbs-recalls/

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's gotta be a way for the jeep owner to know if software updates are needed without asking the dealer. Isn't there a factory website I can go to that publishes dates of software changes by make and model? ****, the car communicates with orbiting satellites ( Eg, navigation, Serius XM), so why can't it automatically download updates that way?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a Renegade Limited two weeks ago with a build date of July '15. Just went in with my Limted to have a trailer hitch they owed me installed and also told them I was having an intermittent rough cold idle. They found and installed the Powertrain Control 181906DN update, but nothing else. Idle seems much better so far. So does the lower gear shifting. So weird to be so reliant on the computer. My 07 Liberty never had such issues. It just ran and ran and ran. We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you find a way to determine your jeeps current update version status? Anticipating head winds going to the dealership and having them showing me the updates

thanks for the time

bill

21 - 38 of 38 Posts