Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear cargo area under the floor where the spare tire is located sweats really bad every time it rains. Can't find a leak but I won't rule that out. Seems to be wettest in the right rear corner. If I take the tire out I can feel up under the plastic panel and it's wet there too. It's driving me crazy. I'm airing it out now. Fortunately, I can keep in the garage to air it out, but I shouldn't have to do this every time it rains with a new vehicle. Other than this annoyance I love my TH.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I would take it in and the service guys take a look at it. Using bright lights, they should be able to figure out where the water is coming from and seal it.

Possible causes could be a bad side window seal or the rear hatch isn't properly aligned. Or a body "plug" is missing that allows road spray to get into where it shouldn't.

Don't let it go too long or you could have mold accumulate making the car smell funky.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already planning on bringing it in at some point in November. The left turn signal doesn't turn off when you straighten the wheel after a turn. It's done that since it rolled off the lot with 46 miles on it I just haven't had the time to leave it to be serviced. I hate the local dealerships service department so I have to drive a distance to go to the one I like. I'm wondering if either the seal around the rear hatch opening is leaking up top and then it runs under the seal down into the cargo area or if they left out a plug or something of that nature when they put the trailer hitch on. Lord knows they took nearly every panel off to put that hitch kit on.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: So I took everything out of those storage compartments under the seat. I had ratchet straps, bungees, tool pouches, jumper cables, a small cheap cargo mat (use to cover the seats when I have them down), trailer hitch, trailer ball, and some other random tools. Not a drop of condensation since and it's rained twice and the temps are all over the place this fall in Tennessee. One of the ratchet straps felt wet when I took it out. I'm thinking the straps and/or the bungees are sweating. My appointment with the service department is tomorrow. I'll probably just go in to have them check for updates and update my radio. I may start putting things back under the floor a few things at a time until I figure out the culprit for sure. I am a master at packing things like tools into little compartments. Guess I got carried away. Some of the bungees and ratchets I found in the road too.

Another side note, the turn signal issues which has been weird, has finally fixed itself. It originally has not been turning off when I turn left and then straighten the wheels. I will roll over 3000 miles tomorrow. This hasn't happened in a week and drive.

So overall I guess all is well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.