Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2015 Ltd. Looks nice.

My concern is that under the hood. there are numerous parts where the paint is non-existent. You can see the gray primer but the body color, red, is missing.

Pity piss poor quality control if you asked me. I looked under the hood of my current vehicles. two being a RAM, and a Summit and the paint is very even, with no primer showing.

I'm considering not accepting the vehicle as a result. I feel that if their **** Italian quality control can't see this, what else did they miss. Can you guys give me your opinion, as well as look under your hood to see how thorough your paint is? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just went under the hood of mine based on the OP's post. I found nothing wrong. The paint job is "spot on" with no errors. Am quite satisfied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm sure the dealer would offer to paint it, however, I'm considering just passing it by. Would you? The dealer will give it to me for $1000. below invoice as it's yearend, but I'm very anal and certainly don't want it repainted. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
To me, it sounds as if you will never be happy or satisfied with this particular vehicle. Every squeak, rattle, flat tire, or burned out bulb will (to your mind) be the result of poor craftsmanship. And, because you've found this discrepancy on this FCA automobile, I bet you will forever consider FCA's quality to be sub-par. Looking at another FCA vehicle will never uncover all the hidden flaws that may exist in your mind. I'd recommend you look to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
To me, it sounds as if you will never be happy or satisfied with this particular vehicle. Every squeak, rattle, flat tire, or burned out bulb will (to your mind) be the result of poor craftsmanship. And, because you've found this discrepancy on this FCA automobile, I bet you will forever consider FCA's quality to be sub-par. Looking at another FCA vehicle will never uncover all the hidden flaws that may exist in your mind. I'd recommend you look to other manufacturers.
Harsh:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been a Chrysler, and Jeep fan for most of my life. Currently a 15 Summit and 13 Ram in my garage. I've had about 10 jeeps in the past 20 years. Very few problems with any of them, so it's nothing against FCA. Now, I and I'm sure many others are a but leery since the Renegade is built across the pond. In the old days FIAT was referred to as "Fix It Again Tony". So, needless to say, they do not have a reputation for building a quality vehicle. On the other hand I quite like the Renegade. But when I saw the lack of paint quality under the hood, maybe my somewhat apprehension is founded. I must say that everything else on the vehicle looks good.

I guess what I'm looking to ascertain is whether others have seen this same paint defect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been a Chrysler, and Jeep fan for most of my life. Currently a 15 Summit and 13 Ram in my garage. I've had about 10 jeeps in the past 20 years. Very few problems with any of them, so it's nothing against FCA. Now, I and I'm sure many others are a but leery since the Renegade is built across the pond. In the old days FIAT was referred to as "Fix It Again Tony". So, needless to say, they do not have a reputation for building a quality vehicle. On the other hand I quite like the Renegade. But when I saw the lack of paint quality under the hood, maybe my somewhat apprehension is founded. I must say that everything else on the vehicle looks good.

I guess what I'm looking to ascertain is whether others have seen this same paint defect.
Those "old days" go back to the time of the Renault Dauphine with its what-gear-is-this gearbox and when VW bug owners (me included) dealt with rusted-out floorboards. Those first non-luxury European cars all seemed to have significant problems and they all were cursed (or loved as "eccentric"). Things have changed in the last few decades.

One of my best car experiences was a Fiat 500C I bought a couple years ago. Ran the daylights out of it for about 14 months with no problems of any kind. Only traded it in because the needs changed - had to get a 5 passenger sedan for family reasons. The Fiat quality experience is one reason there was no hesitation to get a Renegade.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Hmm. Any was the one with missing paint a2016? I know Subaru doesn't paint in large parts of the engine bay for economy. Wonder if it a change for 2016 or a defect in the OP's case?

Mine's a 2015. Only place with no paint where you might expect paint is the spare tire well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The painting, as well as many other manufacturing processes, are done by robots for Jeep Reneagde and Fiat 500X in Melfi plant (Italy). They move and spray in the place and in the quantity they are programmed to do all day long doing.
If there is an anomaly, like a clogged paint line aot a broken nozle than it is improbable that the area not painted will be under the hood only.

In this video is shown the painting process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.