Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
That was actually my first mod haha. Just swapped them out with some amber eBay LEDs. They're so bright you can almost drive without your headlights on at night.

I'm not spending no money on mine as far as customization goes its a 3 year lease lol only thing I bought was the foldable cargo tote and wheel locks for good measure since I got the option 18in black rims and tires on the latitude lol mabe get some floor mats after but don't feel like spending money on the factory ones will see before winter comes lol

· Registered
196 Posts
why not just get a new one under warranty?
u still get the factory warranty with a new car lease and its covered for the whole three years or 36,000 as my lease is only 10,000 a year allowed plus the 5 year powertrain or 100,000 though I wont need that, I don't even get close to that mileage ether I'm in NY lol I just want to see how jeep evolves this thing over the years but leasing I like as I always have a new car, don't have to worry about it breaking after warranties over and ain't stuck with a old depreciated car after a few years once your done paying for it to me there tools not investments

· Registered
165 Posts
That was actually my first mod haha. Just swapped them out with some amber eBay LEDs. They're so bright you can almost drive without your headlights on at night.
I assume that the LEDs you got did not result in a "bulb malfunction" message? If so, I'd be interested in a direct link to the LED you bought.

· Registered
604 Posts
Here's a very good test and write up on LED headlight retrofits. In short, it works, but not as well as the claims.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/should-you-swap-your-headlight-bulbs-for-leds-1728026383
I read that today, too. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts on LED's for the headlights. I also would not do LED's in the fog lights, because I think they'd look strange with the halogen headlights.

But the DRLs are still another matter. I think that could be a real improvement and I'd like to see some pics of the amber ones installed.

· Registered
610 Posts
I don't believe in DRL. I think it's another stupid nanny state invention for people who are too lazy or too stupid to flip a switch. But, yes, LEDs are logical application for that. But, even more so, for brake lights. LEDs are instant on compared to filament bulbs that take longer to heat up and emit light. At highway speeds a few milliseconds could mean a world of difference in reaction time.

I would upgrade filament bulbs to LED for brake lights, first and foremost. Beyond that, I would only consider LEDs for dome/map lights (only because if a door is left ajar and the car doesn't have auto-shut off capabilities for the dome lights, LEDs wouldn't drain the battery as quickly). Everything else I consider to be entirely optional/unnecessary upgrade.

· Registered
604 Posts
I've read elsewhere that LED's in the brake lights can cause the lights to not appear as red Apparently the whiter light from the LED bulb results in a washed out, pinkish hue. That could definitely be a problem and could negate any safety advantage of the faster LED illumination, if the brain of the driver behind you takes an extra moment to process that what they're seeing are indeed brake lights.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I've read elsewhere that LED's in the brake lights can cause the lights to not appear as red Apparently the whiter light from the LED bulb results in a washed out, pinkish hue. That could definitely be a problem and could negate any safety advantage of the faster LED illumination, if the brain of the driver behind you takes an extra moment to process that what they're seeing are indeed brake lights.

You can buy red LEDs.

· Registered
184 Posts
You can buy red LEDs.
Syzygy is correct, you have to use the same color bulb as your lens color is. I tried the white bulb first and it was pinkish. I bought a red LED and loved it, only problem was is that it stayed dimly lit when the vehicle was off and yes, I bought a canbus bulb. If I resolve that issue, I will for sure put a Red LED back in.

· Registered
604 Posts
Aside from the DRL's, I think the first exterior bulb I would want to replace would be the reverse lights. The Renegade's backup camera is already quite good in low light, but with some extra bright white illumination it would probably be even more effective.

And no one has ever complained that reverse lights were too bright.

· Registered
184 Posts
Aside from the DRL's, I think the first exterior bulb I would want to replace would be the reverse lights. The Renegade's backup camera is already quite good in low light, but with some extra bright white illumination it would probably be even more effective.

And no one has ever complained that reverse lights were too bright.
For that, I used Sylvania Silver Stars, nice improvement!

Attachments

· Registered
610 Posts
You are suppose to buy same color LED as the lens for brake and turn signal applications. LEDs are point light sources as opposed to diffused (halogen). This is why if you run a white LED in a red lamp it will look dim. It's not dimmer in reality. It just looks less red/amber.

· Registered
285 Posts
I replaced my brake/tail light incandescent bulbs with white LED's (1156) and they appear to still be the almost the same red as with the incandescent ones without the brakes applied. They are a bit less red with the brakes applied, but it's not anything that would cause undue attention from authorities... but maybe cause needed attention during a quick stop.
I went with Sylvania Zevo's. Here are pics of my tail lights without and with the brake applied.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.