1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
A few months ago Consumer Reports did this nice review on the Renegade and said "The Renegade is a stylish, modern, high-tech little SUV."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/01/jeep-renegade-first-drive-review/index.htm

Now in their 2016 Buying Guide they say the Renegade is horrible. What a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrites. Don't line your bird cage with this magazine.

Can you post where they said horrible? I saw something a few weeks ago in a regular issue where they didn't love it but didn't hate it either.

Sent from my iPhone 6

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Intrusive road noise? Uhh.. compared to lexus sedan? yeah. Compared toe very other b-segment CUV? It's pretty well sound insulated, and I'm not the only one who says so.

Trailhawk is about $30k all told? All told what? I got mine with delivery fee for ~$26.3k.

Regardless, it's consumer reports. They have a culture of praising appliance vehicles, and from past articles apparently at least one idiot on staff who spells jeep as wrangler, so not surprised by the review.

It's also possibly that a lot of the gripes are legit but atypical.

Do they have a vehicle with the cross wind noise problem? They are out there. After you do the TPM software update, a lot of sutff is better, but there are a number of situations where trying to give it gas and get a speedy downshift are frustrating at best. Maybe they have one of the ones that has the really awful idle problems. Maybe they just think the pinnacle of achievement in cars is a detuned acura TL.

I can say, based on an encounter with a pair of stupid teenagers in a car this weekend, that the handling is downright decent under emergency avoidance situations. When you don't have the luxury of paying attention to how having your high seating position makes you feel, you do things, and the vehicle gets them done without drama. I'm pretty sure it'll handle the moose test decently. It's also the only car to date that made me feel electronic power steering might be better than hydraulic.

My family used to be devout followers of CR. I have to say, other than their chocie of the best bang for the buck blank audio tape, they have been 100% incorrect about how an item would work out for us.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love CR, but... find that their recommendations for autos seem to focus on everyone buying Hondas & Toyotas all the time for every occasion. The Jeep Wrangler is often on their "worst of" lists. If the asteroid ever hits, or aliens attack, or whatever apocalyptic future situation comes about, I imagine the two remaining CR editors sitting atop the rubble of CR HQ, clothing reduced to dirty rags, warming their hands on a makeshift campfire, overlooking parking lots full of wrecked Toyotas & Hondas, wishing they had a Jeep so they could get away from the tentacled mutant zombie hordes surrounding their rubble pile.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Can you post where they said horrible? I saw something a few weeks ago in a regular issue where they didn't love it but didn't hate it either.

Sent from my iPhone 6
It is not online. But the negative rating is in their 2016 Auto Buying Guide. They gave it the same rating as the Jeep Patriot which we all know is not good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CR Looks for their own interests

I love CR, but... find that their recommendations for autos seem to focus on everyone buying Hondas & Toyotas all the time for every occasion. The Jeep Wrangler is often on their "worst of" lists. If the asteroid ever hits, or aliens attack, or whatever apocalyptic future situation comes about, I imagine the two remaining CR editors sitting atop the rubble of CR HQ, clothing reduced to dirty rags, warming their hands on a makeshift campfire, overlooking parking lots full of wrecked Toyotas & Hondas, wishing they had a Jeep so they could get away from the tentacled mutant zombie hordes surrounding their rubble pile.
I never trust everything CR says. These things are very subjective. I used to buy the Hondas and the Toyotas based on CR reports but never liked the cars. I have never looked back since I bought a Jeep. The Renne is a lot quieter than a Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4. I didnt find the Lexus any more quieter than your Jeep Grand Cherokee. I guess CR will write favorable articles based on who pays them more for ads! Another doozie is JD Power and associates. Never trusted those guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think they are somewhat biased against American companies. It may have something to do with how bad American car companies were up to about 20 years ago. Their CEO is a big liberal too. Liberals always "hate the home team". I love my Renegade. The rough idle that CR complains about is part of it's character. I do wish it had more power. Perhaps when the plugin version comes out there will be a big increase in low end torque.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think they are somewhat biased against American companies. It may have something to do with how bad American car companies were up to about 20 years ago. Their CEO is a big liberal too. Liberals always "hate the home team". I love my Renegade. The rough idle that CR complains about is part of it's character. I do wish it had more power. Perhaps when the plugin version comes out there will be a big increase in low end torque.

CR is against a lot of companies. They don't like SUV's in general. They have been accused and sued by Suzuki, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu. Google any of these companies and Consumer Reports and you make the decision of how biased they are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.