Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yay...

We were able to spend just a few hours with various Renegade versions at our Connecticut test track and came away more impressed than not. Though few people will buy it this way, we found the six-speed stick and 1.4-liter turbo a fairly potent combination.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For a CR review, they were "very fair" to the Renegade as compared to the larger Cherokee which I drive. The nerdy dude said that seating might have been cramped, has he sat in the Crosstreck which they had recommended? And he questioned Chrysler quality. Of course he had to be the typical CR jerk and trash anything American, but to be honest I have no major issues with my Jeep. I had bigger issues with defects with my Juke and Honda.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Having read and listened to many Consumer Reports car reviews, to hear Tom Mutchler's tone and mostly positive comments during the video review, along with what they wrote, is actually is a pretty big coup for the Renegade:

Close your ears, 4x4 hard-liners. The newest Jeep, the small Renegade, is an Italian job, and a pretty clever heist.

Putting aside the heresy of a foreign-made Jeep, the Renegade is one of the most intriguing of the new mini-SUVs.

From the outside it looks like the fat rear roof pillars would seriously impede the view out, but from the driver’s seat visibility turned out to be pretty good.

We found the controls easy to locate and quiet simple to use, thanks to the easy-to-reach knobs, buttons, and touch-screen infotainment system.

The driving experience, We were able to spend just a few hours with various Renegade versions at our Connecticut test track and came away more impressed than not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All I know is that I will get the Trail Hawk (hopefully with xeon lamps) when my 2014 Cherokee is up. There is nothing wrong with what I'm driving but I want something a little smaller and better on gas.

Willy, people say foreign b/c they are not used to the concept that FCA is a global company. They think Jeep = apple pie = America.

·
Registered
194 Posts
why does everyone have to say foreign...
It is made in Italy. Per Webster: : " situated outside a place or country; especially : situated outside one's own country"
It is technically foreign made. This is actually positive to many who shun domestic vehicles. Heck, Italian vehicles have traditionally been exotics, I don't see it as a negative.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I'm very surprised at Consumer Reports. Usually they don't like anything that is not a Toyota Corolla.
What about the honda civic?

Perhaps CR has had a bit of a reality check. There are at least two big projects this year clearly motivated by CRs annual report, the problems with it, and how what information is collected is (or more precisely is not) made visible to the end consumer.

As a note, both projects came up with much different results for everything but toyota. Four of the top five did not make the top five in the other studies. Almost none of the bottom 10 made the bottom 10. Some of CR's top five scored lower than some of CR's bottom 10.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Perhaps CR has had a bit of a reality check. There are at least two big projects this year clearly motivated by CRs annual report, the problems with it, and how what information is collected is (or more precisely is not) made visible to the end consumer.

As a note, both projects came up with much different results for everything but toyota. Four of the top five did not make the top five in the other studies. Almost none of the bottom 10 made the bottom 10. Some of CR's top five scored lower than some of CR's bottom 10.
It used to be Honda was one of thier favorites but they poo- poo'ed the 2012 Civic and it fell off their best buy list after being on it for a billion years.

I don't put much weight in Consumer Reports anyway. We have bought stuff they say was good only to be junk and bought stuff they said was junk and it was good.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
It used to be Honda was one of thier favorites but they poo- poo'ed the 2012 Civic and it fell off their best buy list after being on it for a billion years.

I don't put much weight in Consumer Reports anyway. We have bought stuff they say was good only to be junk and bought stuff they said was junk and it was good.
I'm right with you on that. To be honest, the fact CR was so kind has me a wee bit concerned, but I write it off as being paranoid and/or superstitious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CR Problems

raz-0, do you happen to have links for those studies? I'd love to take a look. The SO puts all her faith in them, hence why we have a suby forester, and even though the renny did well, i'd love to see what short-comings CR is seen as having.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
raz-0, do you happen to have links for those studies? I'd love to take a look. The SO puts all her faith in them, hence why we have a suby forester, and even though the renny did well, i'd love to see what short-comings CR is seen as having.
There was a new survey they relies on professional buyers of used cars for the ratings. Jalopnik had an article on it recently but it's killing me that I can't find it on their site. The article included discussions with the survey's uh.. operator, host, sponsor whatever the right word for that is, that discussed methodology.

If you search here, you can find a nice big thread on CR regarding their reliability ratings. In it I link another undertaking which I'm blanking on the name of and can't find in my mail because it's one of those things where instead of the mail coming from [email protected], it's all Hi, I'm robert whoppers, and I'm being a real genuine entrepreneur by contacting you like I'm your friend. So I either have to figure out the right word to find it in my email archive, which isn't happening today as being locked up with the wife and kid who already had a nice case of cabin fever form the weather this weekend has melted my brain. Anyway, like CR, it's a voluntary owner survey, but it collects info on an ongoing basis, and allows you to search the data, read about what the repairs were, how much they cost the owner or if they were warrantied, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.