Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep tied for the lowest score in Consumer Reports 2014 Car Brands Report Cards. Unpredictable reliability and unimpressive road test seems to off punched the brand in the face. I'm not sure If the majority of this hit is due to the botched launch and continued issues plaguing the new KL Cherokee.

At the other end of the spectrum, Jeep and Ford tied for the lowest score (50). Jeep has a mix of spotty reliability and mediocre road-test results. While a number of recent Ford models are very nice to drive and earn solid test scores, the brand continues to have reliability problems, especially with its MyFord Touch system. Three other Detroit brands, Dodge, Cadillac and Chevrolet round out the bottom five.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I haven't read many bad reviews of Jeeps. Sure the Cherokee launch was terrible and that should factor in, but the vehicles are good quality. Its pretty obvious that Consumer Reports can blow some things out of proportion. Should Ford really suffer so much because of its infotainment system? Maybe a bit, but not this much.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I haven't read many bad reviews of Jeeps. Sure the Cherokee launch was terrible and that should factor in, but the vehicles are good quality. Its pretty obvious that Consumer Reports can blow some things out of proportion. Should Ford really suffer so much because of its infotainment system? Maybe a bit, but not this much.
Yup, I think Jeep has even improved on it's build quality and reliability after Fiat started taking over, but even before that they were still good.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have been hearing that Fiat-Chrysler is having to do a lot of work on their 9-speed transmission, and that is supposed to be put in most vehicles in their line-up. That is definitely a factor in this report.

It seems a little exaggerated by CR, but I don't think they are totally off base.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes Consumer Reports buys their own vehicles and may be free from advertisers which is all good. The question is why does CR always rank Subaru with high marks when they have had a series of recalls that were fatal to the driver's safety?
http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

Jeep like Subaru has moved away from hard plastics with each new model, why not give Jeep credit, CR?

Also the newer line up feels a lot more solid than most Subaru's I've sat in.

Jeep is keeping an eye on its 9 Speed Transmissions, while companies like Toyota or even Audi from years ago balked at the idea of fixing theirs. CR still closes its eyes.

I have driven the brand new Jeep Cherokee for over a week and feel it is very smooth, responsive and reliable.

CR should seriously hit the engineering books once again and learn something this time!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that consumer reports tries to give reviews that are based on the average consumer's knowledge. Remember that they review products other than cars as well. It supposed to be about the every man instead of the car fanatic.

·
Super Moderator
3,476 Posts
I think that consumer reports tries to give reviews that are based on the average consumer's knowledge. Remember that they review products other than cars as well. It supposed to be about the every man instead of the car fanatic.
I don't listen to CR for quite some time, as it was apparent that their collective head had been stuck up their posterior in general, and not just about cars.

I can say that their prediction of my ownership experience on cars has been 100% wrong with regards to the actual mechanical realities of owning them. That's pretty much been the case with the cars in my family as well. That includes cars they said sucked, and cars they said were awesome. What I HAVE found their buyers guide ratings to reflect reasonably well is the dealer network experience and the manufacturers approach to warranty coverage.

As an example, I owned two cars back to back, we'll call them A and B, and they had vastly different ratings. A, outside of a couple of factors, was rated between middle of the scale and bottom of the scale on most things. Car B was rated almost entirely above the middle score. Both cars when new had the same number of problems needing dealer correction - one. Car A was a giant pain in the ass to get fixed. Car B was a painless warranty claim. Both cars had a specific issue that caused an interior rattle in almost every one rolling off the lot. Car A got a poor score on the body integrity scale. Trying to get it warrantied was essentially impossible as the dealers didn't care, and neither did the regional claims person for the manufacturer. However, an afternoon of pulling out car bits and putting in some sound dampening mat to keep hard plastic form touching metal in the right spot, and the car was dead silent for all of about 3 hours of labor and $20 in materials. Car B, the dealers and manufacturers would try to fix it under warranty. Repeatedly. Every time they issued a new TSB for the rattle at least. The problem was that it wasn't a build or fit problem, it was stupid engineering that caused the rattle. As a side note, the CR top reviewed car from the same time I bought car A was VERY popular at my place of work. It rattled too but got a full red circle for body integrity. They had plenty of rattles, but they were fairly random in what caused them, and neither the dealer nor manufacturer gave the owners a hard time fixing them.

Car A stayed with me 8 years and about 178k miles and even with a transmission rebuild in there, costs have been about the same for car B over 10 years with only regular maintenance and only about 98k on the odometer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't listen to CR for quite some time, as it was apparent that their collective head had been stuck up their posterior in general, and not just about cars.

I can say that their prediction of my ownership experience on cars has been 100% wrong with regards to the actual mechanical realities of owning them. That's pretty much been the case with the cars in my family as well. That includes cars they said sucked, and cars they said were awesome. What I HAVE found their buyers guide ratings to reflect reasonably well is the dealer network experience and the manufacturers approach to warranty coverage.

As an example, I owned two cars back to back, we'll call them A and B, and they had vastly different ratings. A, outside of a couple of factors, was rated between middle of the scale and bottom of the scale on most things. Car B was rated almost entirely above the middle score. Both cars when new had the same number of problems needing dealer correction - one. Car A was a giant pain in the ass to get fixed. Car B was a painless warranty claim. Both cars had a specific issue that caused an interior rattle in almost every one rolling off the lot. Car A got a poor score on the body integrity scale. Trying to get it warrantied was essentially impossible as the dealers didn't care, and neither did the regional claims person for the manufacturer. However, an afternoon of pulling out car bits and putting in some sound dampening mat to keep hard plastic form touching metal in the right spot, and the car was dead silent for all of about 3 hours of labor and $20 in materials. Car B, the dealers and manufacturers would try to fix it under warranty. Repeatedly. Every time they issued a new TSB for the rattle at least. The problem was that it wasn't a build or fit problem, it was stupid engineering that caused the rattle. As a side note, the CR top reviewed car from the same time I bought car A was VERY popular at my place of work. It rattled too but got a full red circle for body integrity. They had plenty of rattles, but they were fairly random in what caused them, and neither the dealer nor manufacturer gave the owners a hard time fixing them.

Car A stayed with me 8 years and about 178k miles and even with a transmission rebuild in there, costs have been about the same for car B over 10 years with only regular maintenance and only about 98k on the odometer.
CR assumes consumers are helps prigs with no sense of direction. Actually the ones who use CR are ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consumer Reports can sometimes put more emphasis on a particular shortcoming of a car than I would, but their reliability surveys certainly are useful. I will probably purchase a Jeep Renegade because it fits my particular needs, but I am concerned about whether it will be troublesome. I sure hope Fiat is doing its best to improve the build quality.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's what I have noticed, but the best thing to do that does take a lot of time, but worth it if you really want to have the best idea of the product, is to look at a bunch of different reviews and compare.

·
Super Moderator
3,476 Posts
That's what I have noticed, but the best thing to do that does take a lot of time, but worth it if you really want to have the best idea of the product, is to look at a bunch of different reviews and compare.
IMO, the most accurate reflection of my actual experience with cars has been to read the professional reviews and go to a dedicated forum and listen to what the complainers are complaining about. Those two basically tell you the best it might possibly be and the worst it might possibly be. The reality is most cars will ship without major problems that aren't designed in that you can see when you sit in the car for a test drive. Sub 60k, most will ship with between 1 and 2 minor issues that need dealer attention.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
IMO, the most accurate reflection of my actual experience with cars has been to read the professional reviews and go to a dedicated forum and listen to what the complainers are complaining about. Those two basically tell you the best it might possibly be and the worst it might possibly be. The reality is most cars will ship without major problems that aren't designed in that you can see when you sit in the car for a test drive. Sub 60k, most will ship with between 1 and 2 minor issues that need dealer attention.
yeah i'm glad to see that you get it
checking out what other people, aside from journalists have to say is also what i like to do, one of the many reasons i'm on this forum

what cars have you owned in the past?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Between consumer reports giving Jeep a bad grade and JD Power doing the same, you have to think that there must be a kernel of truth to what the two are saying.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a Patriot 2010 and I shall agree with the "Unpredictable reliability" thing.

My Jeep (Patriot) is the first I owned, and it is making sounds that a 2010 SUV shall not make (ex: suspension squeak sounds, doors squeaking etc etc).

When I bought it, I was lucky to have taken a reviewer advise seriously by getting an extended warranty because I used it !

Suspension was serviced 3 times until now, every year and it gets back to its sounds after few months... All kind of issues here and there were also checked and all that has to do with reliability... It is not an SUV that you keep for a long time unfortunately

My cousin has a Wrangler 2012 or 2013 I think and not that reliable either

My friend has a 2011 oe 2012 Compass and is crying to sell it because issues are all around...

Yet all that does not make me avoid the replacement I can afford, the Renegade Trailhawk... For now I won't consider other (more reliable) brands because I need a family 4x4 SUV that has some offroad capability and Jeep has the only compromise I can afford...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts