Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share my experiences in trying to convert from the 3" standard gauge cluster to the 7" TFT gauge cluster. I have the 1.4T so the 7" cluster was not an option but I thought it would be able to swap them out. Here are some instructions and what I discovered.

1. Disconnect Negative battery terminal.
2. Remove the 2 screw in the "roof" of the gauge pod, they are behind round plastic covers so just use a small screwdriver to pop them open.
3. Using a trim tool pry open the dash trim starting at the left vent and working your way around.
4. Once the trim is removed remove the 2 screws holding the vinyl flexible trim under the gauges.
5. There are 2 clips holding the vinyl to the gauges themselves, use a small screwdriver to pop them out.
6. Remove the the 4 screws holding the gauges in place and pull out cluster.
7. Disconnect wire harness from old gauges and reconnect to the new one.
8. Install is the reverse of the removal.

Now for what works and what doesn't. First off all functions of the original gauges work perfectly. Tach, speedo, blinkers, all warning lights and menu system work. Even the gear selector is removed since mine was a manual.

Now for what doesn't work. The odometer has the mileage from the replacement cluster and it's flashing due to a CANBUS error. I'm also getting errors for systems that are not installed on my Renegade like Service 4WD, Lane Departure warning and Park Distance system warnings.

I decided to hold off on the swap until I can get some support from my dealer to turn off features in the CANBUS and reset the mileage. But replacing the original cluster I still have the CANBUS error and blinking odometer so we shall see how that turns out.

Would I recommend this to everybody, probably not at this time just do to the fact of the annoying warning messages but you can do it and it will function. I will work on the CANBUS issues and and let everybody know if I make any progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have the odometer flashing because of he AC control swap. If you put this cluster back again and go to the dealer to get a proxy alignment you should get this fixed. Not sure about programming the actual mileage. I’m interested in the outcome, so I’ll stay tuned.
As I said in your other post about the AC controls, I did this with “my” dealer and could see a bunch of codes before the proxy alignment. After doing so, the odo doesn’t flash anymore and the codes regarding the “alien” component are gone, but the codes regarding the stuff your Rene does not have, like all the extra hardware to have 2 zone climate, these will live there forever, as the BCM now “sees” the dual zone climate but a lot of sensors and actuators don’t respond (as these are simply not there...).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the flashing odometer is due to the AC control because I did that swap first and drove around for a while testing it out with no issues. I could be wrong though and I have the original cluster in now with the battery unhooked overnight. I haven't talked to the dealership yet about a proxy alignment as I'm not sure how they would treat the modifications. I tried to find the lowest mileage cluster so I may drive with the old one until the mileage is the same (about 3000 miles to go) then I don't have to deal with changing the odometer. From your experience can they turn off the warning indicators for the systems that are not installed. I don't mind if there is a code thrown I just don't want to see the warning on the display. Also do you know of any private party software that will allow access to the CANBUS so we can disable various features of the BCM, similar to VW/Audi vehicles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just swapped the AC controls and got the odometer flashing (like all who did got, look for a couple of threads about this). In my case I didn’t get the flashing odometer immediately, but after a few times using the Jeep, it started. All Fiat derived products do the same (500, Alfas).
Not sure about the errors you get for extra equipment your Jeep does not have, I’m pretty sure it will get fixed with the alignment, as the BCM checks all the connected equipment and stores the correct config. I doubt that this information is stored in the cluster. The “hidden” errors, I don’t care about those either as long as I don’t get messages and all works as it should.
Regarding the dealership, I guess it really depends on how much they want to bother (or not), as you did changed your car, but with genuine Jeep parts! In my case as I had a problem with my Jeep from day 1 (long story short: airbag error message, which after changing multiple parts, during 3 months, was tracked to the wiring loom going to the driver’s door), I already knew the service guys from this forced relationship, and they didn’t bother me about swapping the AC controls, and just warned me that they will do the alignment under my responsibility! (which confirms how little they know).

If you run out of luck with the dealer, there are DIY options, check a software named “AlfaOBD”, the guy behind the project replies within the day to inquires. He also has a free version (I believe limited to a few minutes of use per run).

If I get my hands on a cluster like the one you got (but in Km), I’ll certainly do the same.

Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've just recently purchased one of these, however, alfaobd won't allow adjusting mileage to correct total miles and three dealers state unable to help even with original one installed to get mileage from. It looks like I either bump up 17k miles or wait.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought I would share my experiences in trying to convert from the 3" standard gauge cluster to the 7" TFT gauge cluster. I have the 1.4T so the 7" cluster was not an option but I thought it would be able to swap them out. Here are some instructions and what I discovered.

1. Disconnect Negative battery terminal.
2. Remove the 2 screw in the "roof" of the gauge pod, they are behind round plastic covers so just use a small screwdriver to pop them open.
3. Using a trim tool pry open the dash trim starting at the left vent and working your way around.
4. Once the trim is removed remove the 2 screws holding the vinyl flexible trim under the gauges.
5. There are 2 clips holding the vinyl to the gauges themselves, use a small screwdriver to pop them out.
6. Remove the the 4 screws holding the gauges in place and pull out cluster.
7. Disconnect wire harness from old gauges and reconnect to the new one.
8. Install is the reverse of the removal.

Now for what works and what doesn't. First off all functions of the original gauges work perfectly. Tach, speedo, blinkers, all warning lights and menu system work. Even the gear selector is removed since mine was a manual.

Now for what doesn't work. The odometer has the mileage from the replacement cluster and it's flashing due to a CANBUS error. I'm also getting errors for systems that are not installed on my Renegade like Service 4WD, Lane Departure warning and Park Distance system warnings.

I decided to hold off on the swap until I can get some support from my dealer to turn off features in the CANBUS and reset the mileage. But replacing the original cluster I still have the CANBUS error and blinking odometer so we shall see how that turns out.

Would I recommend this to everybody, probably not at this time just do to the fact of the annoying warning messages but you can do it and it will function. I will work on the CANBUS issues and and let everybody know if I make any progress.
Any updates?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Because the Renegade came with this option, it can be done.

1st issue. The Instrument cluster is the "End of the Line" computer.

2nd issue. The VIN and Odometer have to match and is programmable at the dealer. When you get it updated at the Dealer, your vehicle in the Fiat / Chrysler data base will show that your Renegade now has that specific upgrade option.

3rd issue. There are other modules that have to be updated also so the the "End of the Line" computer know what all is installed for your specific Jeep Renegade.

At the very minimum: Power Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), and the Body Control Module BCM).
... and probably the stereo, because the stereo has functions that are displayed in the Drivers Information Center (DIC) (Instrument Cluster).

BUT, it can be done. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not really, swapping cluster is an easy task, for ex for Dodge owners, you need to buy a special obd device that do all the job (mileage, vin..) and you don't even need a computer or app!

I tried to swap mine, it works but still need to figure out how to correct the mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts