Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Conversion to Auto Climate Control

29K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  jose.musicante 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share my experience in converting from the manual climate controls to auto climate controls. As most of you know automatic climate controls are not offered with the 1.4T but I was able to convert for under $100. Here are some photos and simple instructions. Sorry for the low picture quality.

1. Disconnect the Negative battery terminal.
2. Using a trim tool gently remove the old AC control unit. There are 4 plastic clips in the corners.
3. Disconnect wire harness from the old control and connect to the new control.
4. Reinstall the new AC control by pressing firmly into place.
5. Reconnect negative battery terminal.

It's as simple as that to have automatic climate control. Please note that while the automatic temperature control works there is no "dual zone". Aside from the dual zone all functions work correctly, temp control, fan control, defrost etc. I did not have any CANBUS issues and the whole process takes under 15 minutes. I purchased the auto climate unit from the same model year to avoid any issues but that being said I don't know compatibility between years.

It's a cheap and easy upgrade that I highly recommend.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Check my reply in you other thread, but no, I didn’t pay.
I’m not from the US, so my case is different, but actually worse, as here they take any remote possibility to revoke your warranty. A few guys here did this and the dealer didn’t object, so, you can try!

#42 ·
Check my reply in you other thread, but no, I didn’t pay.
I’m not from the US, so my case is different, but actually worse, as here they take any remote possibility to revoke your warranty. A few guys here did this and the dealer didn’t object, so, you can try!
Yes. All functions, with the exception of dual zone (as our Jeeps don’t have all required hardware), will work correctly. Regarding the flashing odometer, disconnecting the battery won’t do any difference, the BCM has the ID for the manual controls stored from factory, when it “sees” the new ones it will throw codes and flashing the odometer is the way all FCA vehicles behave to acknowledge that problem is there. Doing a proxy alignment will clear the codes related to the new controls and stop the odo flashing. The codes regarding the non existing dual zone related stuff will remain (but hidden unless you scan with an appropriate, non generic tool).
Hi. One question: the module shows temperatura in celsius or Fahrenheit?

#7 ·
Yes. All functions, with the exception of dual zone (as our Jeeps don’t have all required hardware), will work correctly. Regarding the flashing odometer, disconnecting the battery won’t do any difference, the BCM has the ID for the manual controls stored from factory, when it “sees” the new ones it will throw codes and flashing the odometer is the way all FCA vehicles behave to acknowledge that problem is there. Doing a proxy alignment will clear the codes related to the new controls and stop the odo flashing. The codes regarding the non existing dual zone related stuff will remain (but hidden unless you scan with an appropriate, non generic tool).

#8 ·
So here is the latest update. My local dealer is not mod friendly so I purchased the OBDlink MX dongle and AlfaOBD software to allow access to the canBUS to perform a proxy alignment. I was able to gain access to various systems in the vehicle but the Body Computer requires a 5 digit access pin which was not provided when I purchased the vehicle. Looks like I'll have to work with Jeep to get that info. On a positive note I was able to gain access to the Audio Amplifier under the Radio menu. Not sure if I'll be able to tweak the factory Beats crossover points but if I can I will post the results.

#10 ·
I can connect to the vehicle just fine but when I attempt to access the Body Computer Module it asks for a code. I can go to the options and see where the proxi alignment is located but it is unavailable until connected to the module. I am able to access other computer modules in the vehicle but some of them are password protected. I went to my local dealer for the codes and they said they will not give them out but would perform a proxy alignment for 1hr labor. Jeep cares wasn't much help either, they referred me back to the dealer. I have been in contact with the salesman I purchased it from (in another town) and he's going to work on getting all the codes to me. This is my first FCA vehicle and while I haven't really had issues with the vehicle the dealer experience has been sub par in my area.

#11 ·
The code you need is the (5 digit) electronic key code
that is supplied with the car. At least it is in (most of) Europe.

The dealer or Jeep can supply it as it's the code they
need if you want to add a new key to the car's system.
I guess the US has less consumer protection these days?

#12 ·
I fundamentally have an issue (at least for a purchased vehicle) them not giving you full access to configure it. They should at least give you the option if you are willing to take the risk that it may invalidate parts of the warranty related to what you changed. Its yours, you own it, how can they withhold access to it unless it relates to safety. Let' us know what happens.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I agree and it's the reason I won't be taking it back to my local dealer. The dealership I purchased from is great and they're working on it though it's tougher without the vehicle in their hands. They're over 2hrs away so it isn't really possible to drop it off. The salesman I purchased it from said he will get it to me whatever it takes at no cost of mine since it should have been there from the beginning. I'll keep everyone updated.

#14 ·
I'm surprised this works. I started looking at the same thing since I'm always fiddling with the temp level and blower speeds on the manual system. I checked the parts diagrams and, aside from the control panel, for each of the systems there are separate AC compressors, wiring harnesses and AC actuator/levers. Also, the auto climate control system seems to have temp, humidity and sun sensors in the cabin that don't appear to be in the manual control system, although I've not been able to confirm that.

It's possible that the difference between all of these different parts may relate only to the dual zone feature of the auto system, but it's kind of hard to figure how the auto climate control would regulate temperature without the cabin sensors.

Curious if there is any followup from the IP as to how this is working out.

#15 ·
I haven't had any issues with the new system to date. I know that the manual system is lacking many of the sensors but I believe most of those are related to the dual zone feature which does not work. I leave the sync button pressed so to leave the temps equal on both sides. I have noticed on cold mornings that the defroster activates at startup. I haven't driven in a limited to compare the features as I'm sure some are limited but for the price I've enjoyed it. The fan speed will auto adjust based on the temperature as will the air location. I also like having full manual control if necessary. The dials feel and look of much higher quality than the manual ones.

#16 ·
Automatic Temperature Control

Nice write up but it does not work. I got one from Ebay last week and tried it. Well it fit in perfectly and looks nice but it set off the blinking odometer immediately. The fan would blow hard to begin with starting in the mid high level and would not stop even after the temperature inside the cabin was normal. As mentioned above, the dual zone will not work but you can keep the temp to Sync and it should be ok. I took it out after a week as I couldn't stand the fan blowing hard constantly and the darn blinking odometer wouldn't go away. The dealer said that just replacing the control will not be enough as it lacks all the extra temp sensors and hence there is no way to make the fan work in sync, hence it keeps blowing at the default level. I am returning the unit back to ebay and replaced the original manual control back. I think its better this way as I can regulate the temp better and the fan is no longer an annoyance and the blinking odometer is back to normal. Aaah... the frickin CAN-Bus...

#17 ·
I tried it. Got a nice automatic controller from ebay that was removed from a 2016 Renegade. The dreaded Can-Bus error went off immediately with blinking odometer and the fan starts blowing at mid high level even on a cold freezing morning at startup. The fan does not go down even after the temp has reach optimum point inside the cabin and is very annoying. There are no cabin temp sensors to keep the fan in-sync with cabin temp and hence it blows at a set default level. After fiddling around with it for a week, I returned it for a full refund. The dealer said just replacing the controller will not be enough without the temp sensors. They sure dont make it easy to just swap these things for a 100 bucks...

#18 ·
Arvindnc, sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for. For whatever reason my results were a little different. I do get a higher fan speed at start up but after time the system throttles down to 3 lights, about 25%. It also redirects to defrost, floor and dash so the noise isn't audible. I'm not sure if I have additional sensors with the options I have, I haven't looked into it. Worst case I control the system manually. I do agree that the flashing odometer is annoying. Let us know if switching back to the stock unit stops the flashing.

#19 ·
I don’t get the behavior Arvindnc describes either. The fan goes full blast only when I select Max AC (temp all way down). I also like that if I select that option or defrost, all outlets and fan change the setting automatically, but when I cancel that mode, it returns to whatever was selected before (both outlets,fan and temp). As Troy says, you can always control the hvac manually and even then the controls are much nicer, better quality. Switching back to stock will stop the odometer flashing. Also keeping this and getting the dealer to perform a proxy alignment will stop it. I’m using the auto controls since last October with zero problems (and no flashing after the alignment).

#22 ·
Mine is a sport. It is however a Latin America spec, so not sure it’s the exactly the same. The engine certainly isn’t (here it’s sold with a Fiat 1.8 e-torq NA), regarding equipment, it originally had the manual AC, the monochrome screen gauges, 5” infotainment with nav and 6 speakers, backup camera and parking sensors. I’m pretty sure the rest is the same, so nothing different in such a thing as ac controls, the auto ones I put were bought in eBay US, so these are certainly the same.

#27 ·
Hello to anyone, I have change my manual AC in auto Ac, I have a sport edition 2.0 diesel (latitude model), after the upgrade the odometer not blinking, but for security i have make the proxy alligment; all work, but the MES (i don't know if you know this program) give me an open circuit from 5 sensor....maybe they are not present in the Sport edition...i wnat to know if anyone know were and the name of this sensors for make a full upgrade to the automatic ac. In the attachment ther is an screenshot of the missing sensors

Attachments

#28 ·
I believe there are some sensors that are required for full functionality of the auto climate. I don't believe there are separate temperature sensors or mixing valves for the dual zone climate installed on the manual control vehicles. I can manually control all functions of the unit except the dual zone. The passenger side will always blow the same temp regardless of what the indicator says. There could be additional sensors as well. I don't know if installing all the sensors is doable with the stock sport computer, it may not recognize them at all and the wiring harness may not have provisions for the sensors either. You could also try to source the harness and sensors from a wrecked Limited but not sure if the sport computer will work with it. What ever you decide to do keep the forum updated as I'm sure many others will follow in your footsteps if you get it to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.