Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have this issue?
this is the second time for me in 3 weeks.

I was sitting at a light in neutral with my foot on the brake. Outside temp was 83 degrees. Coolant temp guage shot up in the dash and temp light went on. Engine rumbled and the car shut off. Again, clutch was not engaged /car was not in a gear.
Current milage 5509.

Somewhat surprising. I'm guessing it has something to do with the thermostat/censor? Worst case scenario something to do with the turbo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes!

I had something similar happen today. My renegade as 9400 miles on at. Today on my way in to work I was on the highway, downshifted to 5th gear to pass and then shifted up to 6th gear. Was doing about 70-75 mph. About 20 seconds after shifting to 6th gear the jeep learched like it was going to stall. I looked at the dash and the coolant temp was spiked. Put it in neutral and coasted for about 1/4 mile and within 30 seconds the temp returned to normal and everything was fine. Took it easy the rest of the ride in. Monitored the temp, no change everything stayed within normal limits.

Went out to the jeep just now about 5 hours later and started it up and the ETC light came on flashing (which the manual says service immediately without driving). I turned the car off and back on again and the ETC light went away but the check engine light came on. I let it idle about 10 minutes in the parking lot and the coolant stabilized between 198 and 207. Isn't that a bit high? Coolant level is halfway between MIN and MAX in the reservoir when cold and there's no fluids on the pavement where it's been parked since this AM.

My Renegade is a 2016 1.4L 1945 edition.
Ambient temp outside today was about 75 degrees F.
I use 91 Octane fuel

·
Registered
829 Posts
190-200 is nominal temp for the 1.4

The ETC is the stupid electronic throttle control, they get pissed off for no real reasons sometimes.

As far as the temp spike, without being able to see that, I couldn't tell you. I can only imagine the thermostat hung for a moment and that was enough to hit a higher temp and the ECM pulled power. Aside from that, idk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to dig up an old thread but I was curious if op resolved this issue?

My wife was idling in bumper-bumper traffic on highway when temp gauge suddenly started climbing, reached the end and turned red. She turned heater on full blast and that brought temp gauge down enough to exit highway. We took it to local Jeep dealer and they said crack in radiator and stuck thermostat which they replaced under warranty (7395 miles).

Fast forward about 4 weeks and my wife is driving home up a small hill and temp gauge again spiked and turned red. Of course she drove it home like that and coolant recovery bottle was hissing and radiator fluid all over the driveway.

Took it back in today and they just called and said the coolant reservoir tank needs replaced.

They have two more tries after this to fix before it meets colorado lemon law!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My fan it start working for 215 ℉. Is this normal? The temperature scale is in the middle of that moment, idling the fan often to work. Even when the air temperature is 33℉.
Is the fan speed is only one? It works great vibration.

1,4L turbo, 6MT, 2WD, 2015 Renegade

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have done two things to help with the engine heat:

Get rid of the plastic engine cover and remove the rubber weather strip that the hood rests on.

The plastic engine cover really insulates things well. Good for the winter I guess.

Removing that weather stripping on the very top of the engine bay, at the bottom of the windshield, opens up a 1 inch gap across the whole top of the engine giving the heat somewhere to go instead of being trapped.

Other than that, I have been looking at hood louvers to help bleed off some heat while in traffic, if need be.

·
Registered
394 Posts
1.4T here. No problems in -10F up to 103F outside in stop and go or highway traffic. You don't need to remove the heat shielding or weather stripping. Have the dealer replace the thermostat. Sounds like it is sticking. No big deal as long as you haven't overheated the engine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have done two things to help with the engine heat:

Get rid of the plastic engine cover and remove the rubber weather strip that the hood rests on.

The plastic engine cover really insulates things well. Good for the winter I guess.

Removing that weather stripping on the very top of the engine bay, at the bottom of the windshield, opens up a 1 inch gap across the whole top of the engine giving the heat somewhere to go instead of being trapped.

Other than that, I have been looking at hood louvers to help bleed off some heat while in traffic, if need be.
Robot,

The engine is designed to withstand a certain range of heat. If the sensor reads more than the max limit spec., the engine coolant kicks in.. then cools off the engine internally when temp goes down... but if the coolant can not draw back the internal T to within the spec, it shuts off the engine - thermal stress load safety feature and that is a good thing so you do not wreck the block.

Putting vent louver into the engine bay will do nothing. You will need the insulations in (-) degrees during the winter time.. I so happened to be part of the wrangler aftermarket experiment in different CAI systems.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My fan it start working for 215 ℉. Is this normal? The temperature scale is in the middle of that moment, idling the fan often to work. Even when the air temperature is 33℉.
Is the fan speed is only one? It works great vibration.

1,4L turbo, 6MT, 2WD, 2015 Renegade
Rock,

It's a little bit complicated but at 215F your fan is set to kick in and that is normal. The sensor is designed to read the internals not the externals, and so, 33F outside does not mean that your engine temp is way bellow 215F. Fan speed is not variable as far as I know.... but what vibrates, the engine or the fan? If it's the fan, that is a cheap problem... however if it's the engine, you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Robot,

The engine is designed to withstand a certain range of heat. If the sensor reads more than the max limit spec., the engine coolant kicks in.. then cools off the engine internally when temp goes down... but if the coolant can not draw back the internal T to within the spec, it shuts off the engine - thermal stress load safety feature and that is a good thing so you do not wreck the block.
Ohh I know. I just do those things to help a bit since I have had 2 separate vehicles shut down in Boston traffic in the summer due to heat. One was a Ford Escape and a mechanic at the ford dealer told me to remove that upper weather stripping on the hood to let heat escape. Worked for the Ford so I just carried it over to the Jeep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rock,

It's a little bit complicated but at 215F your fan is set to kick in and that is normal. The sensor is designed to read the internals not the externals, and so, 33F outside does not mean that your engine temp is way bellow 215F. Fan speed is not variable as far as I know.... but what vibrates, the engine or the fan? If it's the fan, that is a cheap problem... however if it's the engine, you have a bigger problem.
Ok.
The fan vibrates too much. Vibrates probably because the fan is not balanced.
I think that the fan should start as early as 200 ℉. But it probably will be normal to 215 ℉ and up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ok.
The fan vibrates too much. Vibrates probably because the fan is not balanced.
I think that the fan should start as early as 200 ℉. But it probably will be normal to 215 ℉ and up.
If it's under warranty, try your luck to complain next time you visit the dealership.

The engine is designed and maintains at 215. You can upgrade it to your liking if you know a trusted mechanic but if you don't you do not have a choice unless you are mechanically inclined and tech savvy yourself.

We experimented a lot of crazy aftermarket ideas in the wrangler world, it's all but wasted time and money. It's only fun if you enjoy breaking something and upgrade it as you fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone have this issue?
this is the second time for me in 3 weeks.

I was sitting at a light in neutral with my foot on the brake. Outside temp was 83 degrees. Coolant temp guage shot up in the dash and temp light went on. Engine rumbled and the car shut off. Again, clutch was not engaged /car was not in a gear.
Current milage 5509.

Somewhat surprising. I'm guessing it has something to do with the thermostat/censor? Worst case scenario something to do with the turbo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. This has happened to me twice. This last time end up being towed. There was a recall on the alternator fan on the Renegades. Call Jeep. Mine is in the shop as of today. Hopefully there was no damage to the Engine.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Hopefully there was no damage by towing the Jeep.

Which model do you have before referring you to page 154 of your manual?

Are all your coolant levels maintained? Low oil levels have been to known to stop a Jeep dead in its tracks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.