Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2016 Trailhawk, and wanted to ask: what is your coolant temperature showing? I have a three minute ride to work, and the coolant is reading as 210-212. Is this normal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems that this is the normal temps, and I seem to recall that it is. I have owned this Jeep since March, and haven't seen the temps come up like this. If possible, could you guys perhaps monitor your temps and post them here? The coolant is clean and I am set to get an oil change tomorrow evening at the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,386 Posts
I got a bunch of flashes, and then after that coolant temps seemed to be higher in general.

I know they have been having a back and forth with the EPA over how their emissions control software works. They may now be doing things to get the system hotter faster that they were previously avoiding.

But yeah where I had been seeing like 198 temps I was now seeing 203 or so. With the highs up around 210-214 if it's hot out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah. Good that you are in NJ, as it compares to RI where I am. Seems instantly troubling when the temps fly up like that. Just doesn't seem right.
Also, I use the remote start, which I am willing to believe causes the engine to heat up faster, thus perhaps contributing to the higher temps. Going to try the normal start up in the morning to see how it compares. Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
619 Posts
As raz-0 mentioned...
Excerpt from this website: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196890414001939

Legislation on vehicle emissions continues to become more stringent in an effort to minimise the impact of internal combustion engines on the environment. One area of significant concern in this respect is that of the cold-start; the thermal efficiency of the internal combustion engine is significantly lower at cold-start than when the vehicle reaches steady state temperatures owing to sub-optimal lubricant and component temperatures. The drive for thermal efficiency (of both the internal combustion engine and of the vehicle as a whole) has led to a variety of solutions being trialled to assess their merits and effects on other vehicle systems during this warm-up phase (and implemented where appropriate). The approaches have a common theme of attempting to reduce energy losses so that systems and components reach their intended operating temperature range as soon as possible after engine start.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's about right. When I owned my 2.4 latitude it hovered around there. Ambient air temps, driving conditions may change this a little. I find my turbo version runs 15-20°cooler though. Almost never breaks 185°

·
Registered
715 Posts
2015 TH 24k~ and just recently Ive seen my temp go up to 222-224...it was a hot day (105) and I was bumper to bumper traffic. Started moving and it went down to 216 or so. Tried to replicate it in my shop the next day, never got over 215.. Now its back to normal (202-212) and yesterday was day 41 over 100 this summer.... I will say I turned my a/c off and the temp leveled off that day it was going 'hot'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my '16 Trailhawk in January. Coolant temps run 192 to 196 while driving on the highway. Finally now in April we got an 80 degree day. Got into town and slower driving and my temp ran 198 to 215. I pulled into a parking spot, left the engine idling, and got out and raised the hood so I could see the cooling fan. I went back and forth, checking the coolant temp on the dash and looking at the fan. Somewhere around 216 degrees the fan came on. It seemed to wind down somewhere between 208 and 210. I was really glad to see the fan was coming on and off like it was supposed to. So, in my observations, the following is true: Normal operating temps seem to be 192 to 215. Temps will be higher when stopped, driving in stop and go, etc. This is for the 2.4L engine.
Still waiting to see where my transmission temp runs. It has gotten up to 154, but I have not observed it over a long drive. My commute to work is 20 miles one way. During those 20 miles, my tranny temp gradually climbs. It get warmer sometimes than others depending on the outside air temp. Next long drive I go on, I will monitor it and see where it levels off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought my '16 Trailhawk in January. Coolant temps run 192 to 196 while driving on the highway. Finally now in April, we got an 80-degree day. Got into town and slower driving and my temp ran 198 to 215. I pulled into a parking spot, left the engine idling, and got out and raised the hood so I could see the cooling fan. I went back and forth, checking the coolant temp on the dash and looking at the fan. Somewhere around 216 degrees the fan came on. It seemed to wind down somewhere between 208 and 210. I was really glad to see the fan was coming on and off like it was supposed to. So, in my observations, the following is true: Normal operating temps seem to be 192 to 215. Temps will be higher when stopped, driving in stop and go, etc. This is for the 2.4L engine.
Still waiting to see where my transmission temp runs. It has gotten up to 154, but I have not observed it over a long drive. My commute to work is 20 miles one way. During those 20 miles, my tranny temp gradually climbs. It gets warmer sometimes than others depending on the outside air temp. Next long drive I go on, I will monitor it and see where it levels off.
Same here. I think the highest I have to seem my trans temp get to was around ~175-ish. About 1.5 months ago, we had ~15-25ºF ambient temps here in the DC area, and it didn't climb above 111ºF on my 10-mile commute, in both directions. Today, it was 90ºF, and it got over 170ºF within 5 miles or so on the way home, but didn't really seem to climb much more after that. Didn't really go back down either. Coolant always has reached 192ºF or higher, but today it got to around 215 or so in the awful Friday traffic we have here, with the windows down and A/C off. Turning the A/C on actually made the temp go down a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I remember correctly the coolant temp should be around 196F for a Jeep Renegade. Usually it gets to that temp within 15 minutes of driving and remains there as long as all systems are working well. If the temp is not going above 185F after 15 to 20 minutes of driving, there is a problem with thermostat being stuck open. If the temp goes beyong boiling point of 212F you have a thermostat that is stuck closed or a faulty radiator fan. Either way the check engine light will come on for both problems. Jeep Renegade has a recall on faulty fans and ECM flashing. I am not aware of any recalls for Thermostat issues even though there have been numerous reports of them failing prematurely.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Mine runs in the 196 to 224 range, depending on where and how I am driving.

After I added the AVID front bumper is when I started running hot.
The engine light comes at around 234 degree, but cools off quickly when I pulled over.

I added a couple holes to the front of the bumper to increase air flow, and now I don't have any overheating issues (I still run in the 196 to 224 range).

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's about right. When I owned my 2.4 latitude it hovered around there. Ambient air temps, driving conditions may change this a little. I find my turbo version runs 15-20°cooler though. Almost never breaks 185°
It seems you may have a thermostat that is stuck open. This is a common problem for all Jeep Renegades.The normal operating temperature is around 196 F. You may wanna take it to the dealer and get it checked. Failure to reach operating temperature will eventually trigger the dreaded Check Engine Light! Thermostat replacement in a Renegade will run anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars depending on where you get it done. A local dealer quoted me around 600 for mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,695 Posts
This what I did for more air! Xprite ABS Grill Mesh Inserts :
Started like this.

Then cut out grill.

And put on Xprite ABS Grill Mesh Inserts.

If Florida 9 months out of the year we are in the high 90's no problems since this was done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts