Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Yup. FCA have form for weeping hose connecters.
Check for residue where hoses meet metal or plastic.
Expansion tank connections are very often the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is at 17,000 miles and the ORANGE coolant is just under the "minimum" mark. Should I just put a cup of distilled/purified water to top it off?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ended up going to a Jeep dealer and getting a 5 quart jug of the pure stuff that the manual calls for. Then mixing it in half with distilled water to top it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My coolant is purple.
What is the level of your coolant? Mine is just above or just on the low line.
I have a 2016 Renegade Latitude, 2 WD and 2.4 L engine. The coolant ( Orange Color)level is below minimum and I checked with dealer to to top off coolant. Dealer wants close to 100 bucks. Auto Zone makes a OEM specific antifreeze that is available for 16-19 dollars. I plan on topping it off this weeks. Same orange color and no mystery as it is identical to OEM coolant. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Short of having an independent chemical analysis done on the AutoZone coolant, you have to trust somebody that tells you it is the correct stuff. BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT GO BY THE COLOR! Yes, I am shouting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This seems to match the description in my 2017 owner manual. "Mopar antifreeze/coolant 10 year/150 000 mile formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology).

https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-antifreeze-coolant-150-000-mile-oat-formula-50-50-prediluted-1-gallon.html

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Year-Mile-Coolant-Premixed/dp/B017DP43ZC

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-68163848ab

I'd stick with the Mopar coolant, to avoid any potential issues with blending different coolants. They may claim to play well together, but I'll let someone else perform that science experiment on their Jeeps cooling system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the dealer want $100 to top off or flush and refill?
Yes! The dealer quoted around $100 for top off. Says there is a diagnostic fee of $35, have to buy a whole gallon of Anti freeze, around $32, even if they use a little bit of it and of course the 40 bucks per hour labor charge even if the mechanic spends 15 minutes doing the whole thing. That's unfortunately how the dealers make money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This seems to match the description in my 2017 owner manual. "Mopar antifreeze/coolant 10 year/150 000 mile formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology).

https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-antifreeze-coolant-150-000-mile-oat-formula-50-50-prediluted-1-gallon.html

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Year-Mile-Coolant-Premixed/dp/B017DP43ZC

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-68163848ab

I'd stick with the Mopar coolant, to avoid any potential issues with blending different coolants. They may claim to play well together, but I'll let someone else perform that science experiment on their Jeeps cooling system.
There is a lot of unnecessary confusion about Anti freeze now a days. The Mopar product contains Ethylene Glycol, Polyethylene glycol, distilled water and organic acids as stabilizers. Technically you can replace or top it off with distilled water alone if you are not worried or live in frigid zones or with pure ehylene glycol (Colorless) or Polyehylene Glycol (Colorless) and be perfectly ok. Don't let anyone tell you that it messes up anything big time cos it does not. I do agree that when you do the flush and fill you probably want to stick to the OEM Mopar coolant or a identical coolant made by Peak which is Vehicle specific. But for top off, you are ok with any of the 3 options I mentioned above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Short of having an independent chemical analysis done on the AutoZone coolant, you have to trust somebody that tells you it is the correct stuff. BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT GO BY THE COLOR! Yes, I am shouting.
Its pure Ethylene Glycol. Thats one of the antifreeze already in MOPAR coolant. It should work fine for a top off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2016 Renegade Latitude, 2 WD and 2.4 L engine. The coolant ( Orange Color)level is below minimum and I checked with dealer to to top off coolant. Dealer wants close to 100 bucks. Auto Zone makes a OEM specific antifreeze that is available for 16-19 dollars. I plan on topping it off this weeks. Same orange color and no mystery as it is identical to OEM coolant. Any thoughts?
Here is the follow up. Last week I noticed the Coolant level was low and inquired the local Jeep Dealer to top off the coolant. My guesstimate was it would require less than 100 cc of coolant. Dealer quoted around $100 for a top off that included purchasing an entire gallon of MOPAR coolant, diagnostic fee, labor and disposal fee. I did a bit of research and decided to top off the coolant with pure ethylene glycol (one of the components in Mopar antifreeze) and it required about 60 ml. The antifreeze level is right between max and min and ran a test drive this morning to work. No problems.
Cost me 9.90 for an entire gallon of Ethylene Glycol and its colorless or blends in with that orange crush Mopar puts in to confuse you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
60ml? A quarter of a cup. You could have filled it with spit. Or distilled water. Yeah, use water.
I like the spit part of it or I could have taken a piss into the Orange Crush! LOL But I got Pure ethylene Glycol which works better. Distilled water should be fine too but tends to reduce the freezing point a bit if I were to add too much. I didn't know how much I would require before the level came up rather quickly. BTW since the level was under pressure it did come up a bit after I opened the cap but remained slightly under the minimum level. Interesting to note that a week or two ago the dreaded service engine light came on and the dealer said it was most likely a faulty thermostat and a quote for around $600 was given to replace the thermostat. My warranty is just out since it is a 2016 Model but has only 16000 miles since I don't drive it much. Shame on Fiat/Chrysler for producing such a junk but that's a whole another problem. Anyway, I topped off the coolant, reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and so far so good the CEL has not come back! If it does I am F' ed for 600 bucks or I will have to do it myself for less than 60! Cant wait to deal with this mess!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts