Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 30,000 miles and 4 years of age, I have noticed that my Renegade's Coolant Reservoir tank is having some seepage through the seams. This is not the first car I've seen this happen to, my Jag also suffers from the same problem, but takes a lot longer to manifest itself. Has anyone else had to replace the coolant reservoir this early?

I have the extended warranty, I'm going to see if they take care of it. If for some reason they deny warranty coverage on that, I'll do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope your the first so far! They should cover it.
if not it is only $26.74
Jeep Renegade Coolant Reservoir - Guaranteed Genuine Jeep Parts

Now that's odd that I'm the first one in the forums.

I actually met a guy a few weeks ago, a manager at a local movie theater, who had been having the same issue with his, a 2015 Renegade Latitude with 172,000 miles on it. Also, on instagram, hotweels jeep ( @htwls) who was the first guy to have the Outlaw X headlights installed, told me he has had to replace his three times in 100,000 miles, as well as three radiator fans. He didn't comment on whether if those were the upgrade fans or not.

Perhaps, most owners are not speaking up about it here on the forums. The part is at least cheap enough for it to be viable. However, when I do it, I would also like to do a drain and fill on the coolant and I can't go to the dealer to buy the appropriate coolant due to this Corona Virus quarantine, nor am I sure what the orange coolant in the system really is. I don't think I can use anything from my local pep boys without having to flush the system.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
I've had one go. Alfa 159 1750 TBi. They are notorious for it. (But only that specific engine model for some reason.)

The push-fit plastic hose clips are great either.

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts
Now that's odd that I'm the first one in the forums.

Perhaps, most owners are not speaking up about it here on the forums.
The part is at least cheap enough for it to be viable. However, when I do it, I would also like to do a drain and fill on the coolant and I can't go to the dealer to buy the appropriate coolant due to this Corona Virus quarantine, nor am I sure what the orange coolant in the system really is. I don't think I can use anything from my local pep boys without having to flush the system.
Oh No most people there first post is bitching about some thing on there little Jeep.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Now that's odd that I'm the first one in the forums. Perhaps, most owners are not speaking up about it here on the forums.
IMHO most people want to whine and shout about their Jeep issues as opposed to searching numerous forums as you have to find if there is a common thread that links them all together. That way they have at the very least some evidence of an alleged issue.

I have noticed an influx of people coming on this forum and making their initial opening line as a complaint ie MY CAR waaa waaa waaaa.......

As oposed to the positive and polite manner in which you have introduced yourself prior to seeking answers.

A very commendable opening line from you and a hearty welcome to you. (y)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looking at the pictures provides some thoughts and I am not a mechanic.

Why is there crystalisation of the fluid partially around the upper lip of the reservoir?

Could the fluid at some point become heated then vapourising and escaping from the seal beneath the screw top lid before quickly condensing back to its original fluid state? Thereafter the thickened fluid will run down the outside of the reservoir whilst the liquid is still evaporating leaving only a residue where it meets the reservoir lip.

It may simply be a cracked reservoir caused by over expansion of liquid or simply as hoped a defective reservoir.

At least it gave me a chance to use my brain and give you a reply. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had one go. Alfa 159 1750 TBi. They are notorious for it. (But only that specific engine model for some reason.)

The push-fit plastic hose clips are great either.
The push-fit plastic hose clips and the bottom plastic hose are one reason I would prefer not to do this myself. If the. plastic has already become brittle and breaks during removal, if it happened when I'm working on it, those are additional parts I would have to source. If it happens to the dealer tech, they would be the ones responsible of replacing it.

Oh No most people there first post is bitching about some thing on there little Jeep.
IMHO most people want to whine and shout about their Jeep issues as opposed to searching numerous forums as you have to find if there is a common thread that links them all together. That way they have at the very least some evidence of an alleged issue.

I have noticed an influx of people coming on this forum and making their initial opening line as a complaint ie MY CAR waaa waaa waaaa.......

As oposed to the positive and polite manner in which you have introduced yourself prior to seeking answers.

A very commendable opening line from you and a hearty welcome to you. (y)

Thank you, and I totally get what you both mean. I love my little Jeep and I've been a member of this forum the past 4 years, but the community here is rather toxic for a car forum. It is one of the reasons that I don't frequent these forums as often as I do the Jaguar forums on which I am active daily. People here bitch about anything less than perfect reliability when most problems I have seen are minor. Besides that, my renegade has been stellar the past 4 years.

Looking at the pictures provides some thoughts and I am not a mechanic.

Why is there crystalisation of the fluid partially around the upper lip of the reservoir?

Could the fluid at some point become heated then vapourising and escaping from the seal beneath the screw top lid before quickly condensing back to its original fluid state? Thereafter the thickened fluid will run down the outside of the reservoir whilst the liquid is still evaporating leaving only a residue where it meets the reservoir lip.

It may simply be a cracked reservoir caused by over expansion of liquid or simply as hoped a defective reservoir.

At least it gave me a chance to use my brain and give you a reply. :D

?

Now that you say that, maybe it's not a crack or a defective reservoir. Upon inspection of the reservoir, you will notice that at the top and towards the Jeeps's battery it has a small window opening, presumably for pressure relief or something, and this system is pressurized to 20 psi. What if the reservoir's cap is defective, the coolant boils and is ejected through that small window, then runs down the reservoir and leaves that residue on the lip?

·
Registered
996 Posts
you will notice that at the top and towards the Jeeps's battery it has a small window opening, presumably for pressure relief or something and this system is pressurized to 20 psi. The coolant boils and is ejected through that small window.
Not to make matters worse but what will cause the coolant to overheat in the first instance?

Fixing a symptom won't fix the cause. I hope I have not stressed you out with this line of thinking. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to make matters worse but what will cause the coolant to overheat in the first instance?

Fixing a symptom won't fix the cause. I hope I have not stressed you out with this line of thinking. :cry::cry::cry:

Loss of pressure. Because the system is pressurized to 20 psi, the boiling point of the coolant is not the same as it would be in an unpressurized system. We have to assume that the 20 psi above atmostpheric pressure allows the coolant to boil at a higher temperature. If the system can no longer pressurize, the coolant would boil at a lower temperature. My line of thinking is that if the Coolant bottle's cap is not holding pressure, the coolant would be boiling over, causing it to exit the window at the top of the bottle and vaporize as it runs down the bottle, leaving a residue on it.

If the tank itself is bad, I would expect the residue would still form even with a new cap.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed a new coolant reservoir cap, but of course, with this quarantine that's been imposed due to coronavirus, I'm not getting much of an opportunity to test it out. What I need is to go to the beach.

Oh how I miss the freedom I used to have.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Aghhhhhhhhh I thought we were getting a positive result from you.......................................................not from the virus naturally :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got to test it out today, although it wasn't a particularly long couple of drives. I see no residue around the tank, and the level increased by a bit. So far, I think it requires more testing, but the preliminary results seem to point at the problem having been the coolant cap and not the tank itself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts